• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is the James Anderson project over soon?

i like a couple of the UDFAs better than anderson and i would rather see what they could do.

i'm ready to move on. anderson won't do much more than he has here. maybe keep him on the practice squad but a roster spot...meh.

Thanks to James Anderson, John Beason became the starting LB for this team. After Anderson started at MLB for the TB butt pirates game, his status as starter material will be forever questioned.

I disagree entirely. He was put in at MLB for that game because he was the next linebacker on the depth chart that knew the defense the best, and was very smart. They then gambled with Beason in the middle after a not so hot performance in the middle. And it paid off in that respect. However he is NOT a MLB. He played great on the weakside in spots he has gotten on the field. It will be interesting to see if we resign Thomas Davis with our logjam on the weakside. Between Johnson, Connor, and Anderson anyone of those guys could step in and be productive at the WILL.

I disagree entirely. He was put in at MLB for that game because he was the next linebacker on the depth chart that knew the defense the best, and was very smart. They then gambled with Beason in the middle after a not so hot performance in the middle. And it paid off in that respect. However he is NOT a MLB. He played great on the weakside in spots he has gotten on the field. It will be interesting to see if we resign Thomas Davis with our logjam on the weakside. Between Johnson, Connor, and Anderson anyone of those guys could step in and be productive at the WILL.

If they don't re-sign Davis I will be royally pissed.

You guys are nuts if you think they intend to let Davis go, and even crazier if you don't see that his walking would be a very stupid move on the FOs part. He has quietly become a top 20 LB in the league, and a strong part of our defense. I don't believe he'll ever be on par with Beason, but he's not a far drop off from that echelon.

If there's an odd man out this year, it'll be between Johnson and Anderson, and I can honestly see Johnson as the one closer to the bubble, based on his play for us so far. Anderson has not become Witherspoon v.2.0 like a lot on here hoped he would become, so it may be they are both close to the exit door. If it comes down to it, though, I say we'd keep Anderson as the #5 LB first, right after Connor.

I give him one more year, and sure Diggs did better here than GB but as I said before he is past his peak, results speak for themselves.
What results? You mean the part where he's fought off 3 different challengers to his incumbency here in his tenure at Carolina? Or the the results of having multiple solid performances in games where it seemed none of the other players were able to get into position correctly for some unknown (*cough* Turdovich *cough*) reason?

This poor guy gets absolutely no credit whatsoever from the fans, and he keeps giving us good games with a decidedly minimal amount of respect. Will he ever be a future hall of famer? Highly unlikely, but he's a lot better than a bunch of folks seem to want to give him credit for. Until someone can manage to unseat him, it's Diggs's job to lose, and I'm one who is thankful for that. He's a good solid player, and he deserves to have his spot on this team.

What results? You mean the part where he's fought off 3 different challengers to his incumbency here in his tenure at Carolina? Or the the results of having multiple solid performances in games where it seemed none of the other players were able to get into position correctly for some unknown (*cough* Turdovich *cough*) reason?

This poor guy gets absolutely no credit whatsoever from the fans, and he keeps giving us good games with a decidedly minimal amount of respect. Will he ever be a future hall of famer? Highly unlikely, but he's a lot better than a bunch of folks seem to want to give him credit for. Until someone can manage to unseat him, it's Diggs's job to lose, and I'm one who is thankful for that. He's a good solid player, and he deserves to have his spot on this team.

good points. he is a bit underrated. the spot is his to lose. i have to admit to not always giving him the credit he deserves but he has always faught tooth an nail to keep that spot and has managed to do so. considering the talent that we get in here, that is something to be said.

thank you, Ive been wondering how people don't see what I do. I understand the Panthers seem to be built to win now, but we are a team transitioning to younger players and just think it would be best for the future to play someone else and give them the reps necessary to develop.

But Diggs ability to hold off the position must also speak volumes on what the Panthers think of Anderson and Connor.

ok..diggs last year only had 54 tackles total..i dont know much about his postion but i do know TD and beason were in the 100s..so what was that about..not knocking him but thats a big diff

SLB's never have as many tackles in our system as the other two.

^^^this^^^

not an excuse, it's a reality. the Sam has to deal with the TE so he is tied up most the time either getting blocked by him or covering him. the Mike gets in on everything. the Will gets in on the passing game a lot more and gets to chase after the RBs without having to put up with big blockers.

Archived