• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Charlotte ever going to get the chance to host a Super Bowl

hdevonxz

whats holding the city back?

I loved the time I spent living in Charlotte. It is a great place to live and work, and offers a ton of opportunity for young career minded people. The same reasons I loved living there are probably some of the same reasons it will have a hard time getting in a bid for the Super Bowl. Outside of living and working in the city there is not much reason for people to visit Charlotte as a destination. It has not tourist draw. What would people do? Where would they stay? Would people be able to be entertained or cultured during the week preceeding the game? There are two few hotels, to few tourist attractions, crappy restaurants for the most part, and the uptown area is pretty much dead after the banks close. I guess people could spend time checking out Penguin and Thomas Streed, maybe take in a show in NODA, but I would hardly think that would be enough for people to consider Charlotte a happening place. Hell even the museums are second rate compared to what you can find in other cities. I could see how Charlotte could possibly build and entertainment district near the stadium and that may work. I hope it does I like to get back to Charlotte every chance I get and would love to see a Super Bowl in BOA stadium. As far as it being to cold in Charlotte in February, I dont know about that. It doesnt get much colder there than it does in New Orleans, just stays colder longer. I would gladly sit through 4 hours of cold to see a Super Bowl. Its not like Charlotte is Green Bay or something of the like.

the money would spill out of everyone's pockets in the service industry. hotels, restaurants, bars, cabs. other places would earn more too. gas stations, rental cars, malls, tourist attractions would get more visits and use.

I know it would cost a lot to set up everything involved with the superbowl, but I feel it would be outweighed greatly by what would be taken in.

Now the cost of a dome vs all that extra money every once in a while....I don't know about that.

Hell no,don't even mention a dome,we don't want one!

well it is bigger. so I would expect that to be true...

and to the person saying Raleigh needs more than 10 years to get to Charlotte's size... In 10 years it'll be close to the size you are now. Raleigh is only half the size of Charlotte. (not exact, but close) Raleigh = 350,000 people while Charlotte has 600,000.. In 10 years at a growth rate of 4%, you are now close to Charlottes size now...

So, in 10 years, it is perfectly feasible to house a franchise in Raleigh.

This wasn't even about Charlotte -vs- Raleigh... It's about saying Raleigh couldn't house one in upcoming years is a ridiculous statement. I believe Raleigh would be an excellent place to have a franchise. However, I doubt it'll happen due to other reasons...

There's not going to be another NFL team in NC,it's the Carolina Panthers for a reason.Raleigh has the Hurricanes and the people there love them.Another pro team would ruin that close bond w/the Canes and the Canes need to stay in Raleigh too,people in Charlotte don't appreciate hockey!

whats holding the city back?

No they won't...the city is holding back itself. Forget hosting a superbowl, you want to be in it. We hosted the 2004 superbowl and all they had was a lot of famous people in town to party and attend the game. The real fans can't afford the tickets anyway. I hope Houston doesn't try to get anymore here.

Maybe in a few more years, but right now Charlotte is not a big enough market.

I think if Charlotte was going to host a superbowl they should have negotiated that when they first came in the NFL. Houston, Detroit, Indy, Dallas, AZ etc all had a SB in place when they built new stadiums. I hear some saying its to cold in FEB but I happen to like cold games then maybe all those famous rich people that buy up the tickets won't come and the real fans can attend.

No they won't...the city is holding back itself. Forget hosting a superbowl, you want to be in it. We hosted the 2004 superbowl and all they had was a lot of famous people in town to party and attend the game. The real fans can't afford the tickets anyway. I hope Houston doesn't try to get anymore here.

yea, in it is the most important.

never said we want a dome. just said implied having one would increase the chance of getting the big game.

If you don't have a dome and not in florida you probably won't get a superbowl. I have been to BOA and have seats in Reliant. The roof is nice but it is not to protect us from the cold...its the heat and humidity early in the season in houston thats to tough to handle. Its easy to attend a cold game if you dress right and drink right......just not anyway to stay cool in Reliant unless you close that roof. If I was in a town like Charlotte I wouldn't want a dome either...their weather is moderate.

Archived