• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I think a Thursday Night win could be a franchise turning point

CardiacCats

OK so you are saying Newton will have a ton of designed running plays again on thursday night? you dont find that a tad bit risky? Sorry but they are not playing madden this is real football and it is a long season. Lets revisit this thread on Friday morning. Sunday was by far the most run plays they have ever called for Cam. I remember watching games were he ran only 1 or 2 times the whole game. We will run the ball, but it wont be Cam.

What games were you watching? Certainly not Panther games.

Rivera has flat out said he plans to run Cam this year...just like he did last season. Cam should get around 7 runs per game....a little more or less will be dictated by how the games unfold.

6 rushes was the smallest number of attempts Cam had in a game in 2011.

You don't have Cam Newton and not run him. It is part of his game. Against NYG you don't won't game sitting in a pocket trying to let a lot develop downfield. DL is too good. They will read option them and try to slow the rush.....and I think his QB scrambles could be higher than his called runs this week. Should be IMO. He needs to take yards given if his throw isn't there.....not hold the ball. Can get away with that against some DLs

I was looking for stats like this....thanks for finding. My question now is how many of those were by design or did the play break down? I think we could or at least should all agree that Sunday was by far the most designed running plays Newton performed and I dont mean the read option which there was also more of that than usual. I dont want him running that much until the playoffs then he can run as much as he wants

The threat of Cam running is what made our running game successful. We have to call running plays for Cam in order for the read option to work. Do I find it risky yes. But Tampa didn't play cam to run, they played to stop the back from running. Watching the NO game they started the same way. However after Cam's runs, especially the long run, the running lanes got huge. The middle of the field opened up, the pass rush slowed down, etc. It's the bread and butter of our offense. As long as Cam does it smart and limits his hits we should be fine.

I agree but I think that many runs was a set up to pocket pass more. Have them prepare for a crapton of Cam runs only to have him throw frozen ropes all over the place. I guess time will tell. I love him running but not as much as I like him playing. I think he is built tough enough to handle big hits but that doesnt mean I want him taking them. Plus keep in mind running backs dont have to worry about not getting wacked in the arm with a helmet.

What games were you watching? Certainly not Panther games.

be honest.....you wanted The Golden Calf of Bristol? come on be real you think he can ball? I like the fact that they ran him that much and I think they should do it about every 4th game or so but cut it back to about 60 % of those runs and let the backs do their jobs. Sunday is enough to confuse and keep people honest but not needed every week.

I agree but I think that many runs was a set up to pocket pass more. Have them prepare for a crapton of Cam runs only to have him throw frozen ropes all over the place. I guess time will tell. I love him running but not as much as I like him playing. I think he is built tough enough to handle big hits but that doesnt mean I want him taking them. Plus keep in mind running backs dont have to worry about not getting wacked in the arm with a helmet.

I understand where you coming from. However it seem to me we are a lot more efficient/score more when

a. Cam throws for less than 300 yards

b.We run for 150+ as a team.

Matter of fact I don't think we have won a game Cam has thrown for 300 +. That is our winning formula.

No turnovers, lots of runs, Cam picking and choosing on the deep passes.

Archived