• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mighty MJD's 9-7 analysis

top dawg

As written by the Mighty MJD for Yahoo's Shutdown Corner

It's been a pretty uneventful offseason for the Panthers, with the exception of the Julius Peppers(notes) situation. And I don't even know if the Julius Peppers situation qualifies as a situation, because he's probably not going anywhere. He's got a huge cap number and he wants a new contract, and there just aren't many teams out there in a position to give it to him. Especially when you factor in the draft picks they'd have to give Carolina on top of it.

I think the "Julius Peppers situation" has turned into "Julius Peppers and the Carolina Panthers are stuck with one another," and that's just going to have to be okay with both of them. Peppers gets over $16 million for one season, and the Panthers get a guy knows he has to have a good year, or no one will want to pay him. Both sides need to just embrace the reality.

The biggest change the Panthers will see in 2009 will be in defensive scheme, as former Colts defensive coordinator Ron Meeks takes over the same job in Carolina. He'll bring in a Tampa-2 scheme, as well as a burst of energy. If Peppers is around, and with Jon Beason(notes) in the middle, he's got some fun toys to work with.

Other than that, the biggest changes for the Panthers will be Richard Marshall(notes) stepping in for the departed Ken Lucas at corner, and the possible insertion of DE Everette Brown into the lineup. The Panthers gave up next year's first-round pick to grab him in the second round this year, so it's pretty important that he contributes right away.

Also, for some reason, the Panthers gave Jake Delhomme(notes) a big new contract extension. I've got no quarrel with Jake Delhomme. As a starting quarterback in the NFL, he's fine, I suppose. But he's 34 years old, coming off an absurdly bad playoff performance, and not a superstar. Why commit $20 million guaranteed to him? Really, why?

Progress: Honestly, I don't see a lot here. The emergence of DeAngelo Williams(notes) as a star running back is exciting for 2009, but some offensive line depth is gone, there's still no one formidable playing across from Steve Smith, and Jake Delhomme is still Jake Delhomme. And while the defense might be improved under Meeks, I don't see any reason to bank on that as truth.

Minus 3 games. 12-4 last year, 9-7 this year.

Falls right in line with some of you.

The most amusing part: "...Jake Delhomme is still Jake Delhomme."

Overall: Another pundit pontificating pooh.

I can see where he's coming from on that. I'll give us another win on top of that and a 10 - 6 season with a playoff birth. What's up with the 7-9 in the title and the 9 - 7 in the actual article???

Oops. It's late. Perhaps one of the Mods can do us a service and fix it on the board.

Oops. It's late. Perhaps one of the Mods can do us a service and fix it on the board.

I was just wondering, I saw the 7 - 9 on the title and was expecting who ever wrote it to completely trash the Panthers and it wasn't all that bad of a write up. He brought up some valid points. I just think he's off by a game, maybe 2.

Everyone expects different records because we're an inconsistent team when it comes to having winning seasons consecutively. With that said, no matter what most of the predictions are when it comes to game day nobody expects to lose even if it was predicted the day before. We are in one of the toughest divisions in the league and therefore are not clear cut favorites to win our division every season. However, like I've mentioned before, come game day and throw the predictions away because all of us fans expect to be undefeated week in and week out.

He was right about a few things..... I am very excited about the emergence of D-Will as a superstar, becuase i have no doubt in my mind he will be one....he runs like a guy named Sanders, powerful, qucik, and agile....I think he is the best thing to come to Carolina since Steve Smith....Jake Delhomme is Jake Delhomme, but delhomme with a chip on his shoulder is something serious.....The defensive line will get a huge boost from Everette Brown and Charles Johnson becoming better and better, and Peppers also having a monster year and then walking.......the secondary will finally play like it needs too, and 3rd and 8 wont become 1st and 10 as much.....and Muhammed is a legit #2 reciever, wasn't he like 40 yds shy of 1,000 last year.....Jarrett will also step up...our offense is explosive, our defense is going to look like the defense of early last year....we are ready there is no doubting that....this is the best team we have had in years, and i belive it will lead to an 11-5 record, NFC South Champs, first back to back winning seasons, and a trip to the Super Bowl.....Doubt me....but I'll take that to the Bank....LMAO

I guess nearly 1,000 doesn't count as formidable anymore.

nope, if you dont have anquan and fitzgerald your team is a failure, despite the steelers winning it all with a QB who had a lower rating than delhomme all year and 2 starting receivers with lower numbers than ours, and a laughable backfield in comparison to ours.

yeap, we have no weapons besides steve smith, all is lost.

heck even with smitty as your ONLY weapon you figure he wins 2-3 games a season by himself.

Archived