• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gonzalez got out...By not forcing it

Montsta

I don't know who finally got in Peppers and Carey's ears about how it's never a good idea to work on these types of things through the media. and that they aren't helping the situation by speaking out, but god bless whoever it was. Who knows, maybe Carl Carey finally finished his two week online be-an-agent classes, and the poor guy just didn't understand the trade negotiations portion because they hadn't gone over that yet. So I don't know who gets credit. Maybe Oprah and her free chicken.

It couldn't possibly be Carey reeling him in after the initial bursts though could it? I mean that just doesn't make sense. You know cuz Carey really isn't an agent. He did not exit his mother's womb with a half dozen blue-chip clients already signed like Scott Boras and Drew Rosenhaus obviously did. I would like to give the guy a break and let him have his first client and give him some rope but I just can't because he represents a player that I like on my team. So I know where you are coming from. Regardless of the fact that a very high number of independent sports agents break into the business initially by representing someone they have a personal realtionship with, I just cannot forgive Carey for not abandoning his client and his clients wishes for the sake of the Carolina Panthers.

I'm with you guys. Carey sucks as an agent for Caroli-- I mean Julius Peppers.

I see the correlation..But there are some huge differences

1.tony is on the last leg of his career and the chiefs are in rebuilding mode

2. the team listens to offers…the team wanted fair compensation

The panthers FO have a love obsession with peppers and won’t let him go…while the panthers FO is already a winning team and is not in rebuilding mode…like the chiefs

You don't need to go off on some diatribe in defense of Carl Carey. Maybe agents do make it into the business by being close to a guy that makes it big. But to deny that Carey is in over his head is crazy, and until Bill Bellichek of all people spoke up and told them how things are done, they were lost completely. You keep making this out like everyone here takes it personally that Carey is doing whats best for his client, and that's not the case, at least not for me. I'm saying, like I have all along, that Carey is not a good agent period. And the complications that come with this particular situation must be especially overwhelming for him. It's like he an emergency room doctor fresh out of med school who is interning, and is then asked to do an emergency heart-transplant for a patient who is type O-negative, diabetic, and allergic to anesthesia. Will he be able to do it one day? Probably. But that's a lot to have happen to someone without the experience. Do I think Carey could handle Jake's contract extension/restructure? Yes. But he has failed HIS CLIENT on this one, not the Panthers organization.

But I guess this is where we fundamentally disagree. You think Hurney has failed and somehow Carey is just cunning and has succeeded, whereas I think Hurney & Co. are sitting pretty, and Carey must look to Plan F, because plans A-E have not exactly gone according to hoyle.

You don't need to go off on some diatribe in defense of Carl Carey. Maybe agents do make it into the business by being close to a guy that makes it big. But to deny that Carey is in over his head is crazy, and until Bill Bellichek of all people spoke up and told them how things are done, they were lost completely. You keep making this out like everyone here takes it personally that Carey is doing whats best for his client, and that's not the case, at least not for me. I'm saying, like I have all along, that Carey is not a good agent period. And the complications that come with this particular situation must be especially overwhelming for him. It's like he an emergency room doctor fresh out of med school who is interning, and is then asked to do an emergency heart-transplant for a patient who is type O-negative, diabetic, and allergic to anesthesia. Will he be able to do it one day? Probably. But that's a lot to have happen to someone without the experience. Do I think Carey could handle Jake's contract extension/restructure? Yes. But he has failed HIS CLIENT on this one, not the Panthers organization.

But I guess this is where we fundamentally disagree. You think Hurney has failed and somehow Carey is just cunning and has succeeded, whereas I think Hurney & Co. are sitting pretty, and Carey must look to Plan F, because plans A-E have not exactly gone according to hoyle.

i don't see Carey scrambling to do anything. His client is safe and he has shielded his client from anything potentially hurtful that could come in the Hurney Process had Hurney had free reign.

I will agree with you on one thing though. As far as thi situation goes we do fundamentally disagree. Carey is not a good agent for the Carolina Fan base.

i don't see Carey scrambling to do anything. His client is safe and he has shielded his client from anything potentially hurtful that could come in the Hurney Process had Hurney had free reign.

I will agree with you on one thing though. As far as thi situation goes we do fundamentally disagree. Carey is not a good agent for the Carolina Fan base.

So what is this "shielding Peppers from Hurney" you speak of? What horrible twisted things would Hurney have done to Pep had he signed his tender? Smart agents realize that they can block ANY trade with a franchise tag on because noone would give up a lot of compensation for a player who would only last one year on a team. This is one of those basic rules you learn early on, and since Carey has zero experience of any kind it has really hurt Peppers's chances of leaving the team.

The fact of the matter is you have used PURE hearsay and speculation in all of your discussions on this topic, never once actually providing useful or factual information to back your point. That's the true sign of someone who isn't thinking clearly. You are clearly biased on this subject and while you'll never admit it, we can all see it. Quit lying to yourself and please open your eyes.

So what is this "shielding Peppers from Hurney" you speak of? What horrible twisted things would Hurney have done to Pep had he signed his tender?

tender signed. Peppers shopped. offer from team/s that Pep is not interested in. peppers blocks trade, tarnishes spotless image, hurts himself for next year.

what was that about opening your eyes again?

tender signed. Peppers shopped. offer from team/s that Pep is not interested in. peppers blocks trade, tarnishes spotless image, hurts himself for next year.

what was that about opening your eyes again?

Prove it. Prove that that would have tarnished his reputation. Prove Hurney would have traded him to a team that Peppers didn't want to go to. Prove that Peppers will come out of this siutaiton with a better reputation than he would otherwise. Of course you can't but it's easy for you to rely on "if" scenarios rather than the truth, because when faced with the facts you couldn't continue this inane argument.

Prove it. Prove that that would have tarnished his reputation. Prove Hurney would have traded him to a team that Peppers didn't want to go to. Prove that Peppers will come out of this siutaiton with a better reputation than he would otherwise. Of course you can't but it's easy for you to rely on "if" scenarios rather than the truth, because when faced with the facts you couldn't continue this inane argument.

Nobody has to prove anything. What I mentioned is clearly a big enough risk that it had to be taken into consideration. And please forgive me your honor but "prove it" does not really make you look mature enough for a discussion amongst adults.

Let go of some of that angst Brandone. Summer break is rapidly approaching.

Archived