• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Do we finally have one of the better O-lines in the NFL?

I would like to think so.... all the starters are returning and this O-line unit helped propel one of the best RB combo attacks in the NFL

Gross- probowl / all pro player

Wharton- prowbowl calibre guard

Kalil- probowl calibre center

Vincent- bulldozing guard

Otah- probowl quality tackle

we do but we took a huge hit to our depth which helped make us so strong. the starting 5, though, i would put them against anyone in the league and feel good about it.

i think that we made some good choices in our draft and FA to replace depth that was lost but whether they can be as solid as what we lost remains to be seen. they do have one of the best Oline coaches in the league so i like their chances.

i don't think that there was anything that we could have done to prevent the losses to our depth, though. these guys were starting quality on many teams and wanted their chance to do it. the $$ and starting opportunities these guys were going to be getting beat anything that we could/should have given them.

As far as depth goes, we added Duke Robinson, one of the best mauling OGs in the draft. If either of our OGs go down having Duke and either Wharton/Vincent in wouldn't be much of a dropoff. Also, our backup OT really is Wharton. If either of the OTs go out we move him to LT. Robinson/Vincent at OG and either Gross/Otah at RT. Shouldn't be much of a dropoff there either. Biggest concern is our backup center.

The running game we had last season played a huge testament on what kind of line we had but as mentioned earlier our depth took a huge hit.

As with anything else health will determine the Panthers sucess this year.

FINALLY being the correct word. Outside of Seifert's short tenure here ('99-'01) the Panthers have been a defensively focused team. Even under Seifert, he never developed a solid O-line. Up until last year, the O-line was the red-headed stepchild in terms of importance. I think the team got the fact that even with solid backs they can't get anywhere with just bodies in front of them. The big uglies needed to be top notch.

So yes, I think we FINALLY got there in terms of having a top teir O-line in the League.

Yep definitely.

And Delhomme had more INTS than any season previously. I wonder if this is because instead of long handoffs, screens and flat passes, he was letting the RBS move the ball and then going downfield more than usual??

Just a theory

I think it was because he may have been a little rusty. He missed a lot of playing time over the last three years.

Anyways, our O-line is solid. To reiterate what everyone else said, I'm worried about depth and versatility. That's what made them great last year.

Plus, it didn't hurt that they had two star RBs making them look good as well... :D

I think it was because he may have been a little rusty. He missed a lot of playing time over the last three years.

Anyways, our O-line is solid. To reiterate what everyone else said, I'm worried about depth and versatility. That's what made them great last year.

Plus, it didn't hurt that they had two star RBs making them look good as well... :D

Well despite my predictions if the RBs do what the did last year and Delhomme gets rid of the INTS it will be a big year.

Delhomme's worst games were both after a week off, when he was told not to throw at all and his elbow tightened up. Hopefully, his play is better and more consistent in '09 after a full offseason to heal/condition that elbow.

Not worried about DWill playing at a high level again. I think Stewart will play even better. He was a rookie and coming off of surgery himself.

Honestly, if the running attack is in the top 5, and a top 10 D, we can win the division even if Delhomme has a mediocre year.

As far as depth goes, we added Duke Robinson, one of the best mauling OGs in the draft. If either of our OGs go down having Duke and either Wharton/Vincent in wouldn't be much of a dropoff. Also, our backup OT really is Wharton. If either of the OTs go out we move him to LT. Robinson/Vincent at OG and either Gross/Otah at RT. Shouldn't be much of a dropoff there either. Biggest concern is our backup center.

Center is def a concern but Im not all convinced that Vincent can last a whole season. He sat the year before last than last year went down with the same injury he had before. Just not a good sign IMO. I really hope Duke Robinson is all as advertised because its more then likely he will be stop replacing.

Archived