• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kicker battle getting serious!

TruCatzFan

This is a great point. I think I saw Miami return a kickoff from like 8 yards deep into the end zone. Seems like the KR liked his chances or had the coaches' go ahead. Either way I am convinced that this happened largely because teams have seen the tape of our kick coverage and know they can exploit that weakness.

The only solution is kicking it out of the end zone on every kickoff. Mare can do it. Medlock gets about 8yds deep at best. There is almost always a missed tackle initially and the KR gets an extra 10 TDs. Mare gives us better average field position.

On the other hand, last night they had the stat that Mare had like 52 of 81 kickoffs as touchbacks. 2nd best in the league. That didn't really translate into more wins. I would almost rather have had the FG vs. Minn. Medlock is money from inside 50. That's hard to turn down.

Very tough choice for RR. Right now I think they will ultimately stick with Mare, for better or worse.

Great point.

I think we should go against stereotypes and keep Medlock.

Honestly, I think this is what's going to happen:

We keep Mare but tell Medlock to be ready because Olindo is out chances.

Money may factor into this as well. It may come down to keeping Medlock just based on him being a bargain over Mare.

Mare was second in the league in touchbacks lasts season with 53. The only guy in front of him, ironically, is the New Orleans punter, Thomas Morstead, who does kickoff duties for the Saints**. Why? Because John Kasay is on that team.

Yeah this is a good point. Mare does have a very strong leg, and considering how fuging terrible our special teams coverage is, you gotta think his touchback ability will factor into this decision.

People forget Mare cost us some wins with his inability to hit field goals. I rather keep the guy who can get the FG issue locked down.

He missed 2 relatively easy FGs, one of which was a game winner, the other was to tie a game. Like I said in my original post, if you're hating on Mare because there was a possibility of the team being 7-9 instead of 6-10.... all I can say is, "Wow..."

I'm guessing you have a road, home and alternate John Kasay jersey in your closet and you're just pissed because he's no longer in Charlotte.

Archived