• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Putting our Backfield in Perspective (stats included)

TruCatzFan

Will you guys stop talking about touches!? It's not about touches at all. It's about our a offense being so balanced and scary that they won't need all of those touches to reach the yardage! And even if they can't match those #'s due to stacking the box... Cam torches them.

Kapeesh!?

this isn't cleveland's offense. this isn't san diego's offense. it's based on it, but it's also based on what other teams have done with cam. this won't be a passing offense. it will be a balanced offense. that's what it's geared for. it's built around the strength of this team, which is cam's arm and the run game.

looking at it, maybe we will throw the ball a little more than last year. i don't think the separation between the number of carries and the number of passing attempts will be that great. maybe as much as 50 attempts, but not much more than that. i don't see us throwing much more than 550 times nor do i think we'll need to.

yes, it does need to be in newton's hands the most, but he's the QB. he doesn't need to have the lions share of rushing attempts nor should he. it's just not necessary for that to happen for us to still be among the best in the league. the threat of him running always needs to be there to keep defenses honest and to open things up for the other guys, but he doesn't need to keep doing it over and over for that threat to be there.

we'll be running a lot more option than last year and for it to be effective, to make newton more effective, that ball has to get into other carriers hands with frequency. defenses are going to have a spy on newton as it is. if newton is keeping the ball anywhere close to the majority of the time then the safe bet is always to follow newton. the more we use the other ball carriers, the more dangerous and effective newton becomes each time he does keep the ball.

this isn't cleveland's offense. this isn't san diego's offense. it's based on it, but it's also based on what other teams have done with cam. this won't be a passing offense. it will be a balanced offense. that's what it's geared for. it's built around the strength of this team, which is cam's arm and the run game.

looking at it, maybe we will throw the ball a little more than last year. i don't think the separation between the number of carries and the number of passing attempts will be that great. maybe as much as 50 attempts, but not much more than that. i don't see us throwing much more than 550 times nor do i think we'll need to.

yes, it does need to be in newton's hands the most, but he's the QB. he doesn't need to have the lions share of rushing attempts nor should he. it's just not necessary for that to happen for us to still be among the best in the league. the threat of him running always needs to be there to keep defenses honest and to open things up for the other guys, but he doesn't need to keep doing it over and over for that threat to be there.

we'll be running a lot more option than last year and for it to be effective, to make newton more effective, that ball has to get into other carriers hands with frequency. defenses are going to have a spy on newton as it is. if newton is keeping the ball anywhere close to the majority of the time then the safe bet is always to follow newton. the more we use the other ball carriers, the more dangerous and effective newton becomes each time he does keep the ball.

I fully acknowledged the pass attempts were down and will remain it (compared to the offenses ours is based off of).....but that will be bc Cam is running.

All I am saying is we aren't going to line up these 3 RBs and pound them all game like is often suggested do to the talent we happen to have. We will run (have to and should with backs) I don't expect the RBs rushing attempts to drastically change. We didn't line up and pound it last year and won't this year. It isn't what the offense is based on.....nor does it put out QB in position to maximize his talents.

never implied Newton will have the majority of our rush attempts....only that he will hover around 1/3 of them, again. It is what makes his overall game work. He needs to run for one reason.....it is highly effective and was the best part of the running attack last year.

I fully acknowledged the pass attempts were down and will remain it (compared to the offenses ours is based off of).....but that will be bc Cam is running.

All I am saying is we aren't going to line up these 3 RBs and pound them all game like is often suggested do to the talent we happen to have. We will run (have to and should with backs) I don't expect the RBs rushing attempts to drastically change. We didn't line up and pound it last year and won't this year. It isn't what the offense is based on.....nor does it put out QB in position to maximize his talents.

never implied Newton will have the majority of our rush attempts....only that he will hover around 1/3 of them, again. It is what makes his overall game work.

i never said or implied that all three would be back there. we'll have just one back there much of the time, but we'll also have a couple back there often as well...the other being tolbert who may end up being on the field as much as williams and stewart, maybe more.

when i said the majority of rushing attempts, what i meant was what you were essentially saying, that he would have more than the other RBs (individually). i just don't see that happening. i think williams will still have the most carries. the pecking order in carries among RBs beyond that will be stewart and tolbert and i see newton getting somewhere between stewart and tolbert and i don't think that takes really anything away from his game or his effectiveness, rather i think it fits the teams strengths as a whole. newton will be carrying the team on his back enough without having him carry the ball more than any one player.

now when the game is on the line, i fully expect him to be the one carrying the ball more than others, but i see those situations as being limited. creating a balance in the run game between all the ball carriers just makes too much sense because we have so much talent there.

i never said or implied that all three would be back there. we'll have just one back there much of the time, but we'll also have a couple back there often as well...the other being tolbert who may end up being on the field as much as williams and stewart, maybe more.

when i said the majority of rushing attempts, what i meant was what you were essentially saying, that he would have more than the other RBs (individually). i just don't see that happening. i think williams will still have the most carries. the pecking order in carries among RBs beyond that will be stewart and tolbert and i see newton getting somewhere between stewart and tolbert and i don't think that takes really anything away from his game or his effectiveness, rather i think it fits the teams strengths as a whole. newton will be carrying the team on his back enough without having him carry the ball more than any one player.

now when the game is on the line, i fully expect him to be the one carrying the ball more than others, but i see those situations as being limited. creating a balance in the run game between all the ball carriers just makes too much sense because we have so much talent there.

Didn't mean to suggest you thought all the RBs would be on the field.....I am just suggesting the RBs aren't going to be the focus of the offense. Some are suggesting a shift back to that.

I don't think all 3 RBs will have more carries than Cam. Total touches > Cam's rushes? Maybe. Goes back to too many RBs, 1 ball.....and Cam having to get his share (regardless of what we think that should be).

But I am considering Tolbert a equal to Stewart/Williams. A RB. I believe he ws brought in to take a lot of reps ..I think Tolbert could have the 2nd most touches out of the 3 guys in the backfield

I think the bulk of carries will be DWill. Stewart. Tolbert will be our fullback/screen guy. I think his rushes will come more within red zone and majority of his touches will come from receptions. Cam will still do his thing. I'm just saying the RBs Dwill and Stew will rush. Tolbert will receive. Cam will scramble. Is this realistic or no?

Will you guys stop talking about touches!? It's not about touches at all. It's about our a offense being so balanced and scary that they won't need all of those touches to reach the yardage! And even if they can't match those #'s due to stacking the box... Cam torches them.

Kapeesh!?

So we don't need the touches to get those ridiculous stats? We are just going to average over 10 yards per carry and dominate?

Damn bro...you are getting more ridiculous every day.

Doesn't get me exited one bit. I loved last year, showed what we can do, the potential to score and rack up the numbers. Those numbers are there for a reason, we have weapons. Enough to almost win against the best, but not because we don't have enough weapons.

When I see a defense worth a poo, I'll get exited.

Archived