• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Putting our Backfield in Perspective (stats included)

TruCatzFan

nice work compiling all that. i don't know if tolbert's stats can simply be added on without taking an equivalent number of reps away from others, but you could also argue that increased efficiency on third downs and in the red zone will allow more opportunities for snaps to be spread around.

this is going to be an exciting year.

yep and to achieve all those stats all carolina will need to do is have posession for the entire game, every game, all season.

not necessarily. take a quarter of cam's running plays away and give them to tolbert, and improve on third down conversion by 25%, and you've got those extra snaps for tolbert to take.

this is going to be a big-play offense. i expect the overall snap count to go down for everyone involved while actual yards gained and TDs go up. this isn't your john fox yard-grinder or your jimmy clausen dink-and-dunk or even your QB-is-a-rookie Carolina Panthers. this offense will fug poo up.

I disagree... It very much shows what our RB's are capable of....especially since they just did it last year. Granted, Tolbert wasnt here. This "Triple Threat" (not including Cam) should keep all of them very fresh throughout the year. Their individual stats may suffer, but it's a Team sport right? Last year we used the pass to set up the run, but i think that we will do the opposite in the comign year.

Either way I'm not going to argue with a fellow fan about how bad ass our Offense will be. No matter how they do what, they will be damn near unstoppable, or so it obviously appears.

Point was there is 1 ball. Adding up all 3 of their NFL stats from 2011 doesn't do it......

I mean, if you look at the RB touches....it wouldn't make sense if you added all together.

I disagree... It very much shows what our RB's are capable of....especially since they just did it last year. Granted, Tolbert wasnt here. This "Triple Threat" (not including Cam) should keep all of them very fresh throughout the year. Their individual stats may suffer, but it's a Team sport right? Last year we used the pass to set up the run, but i think that we will do the opposite in the comign year.

Either way I'm not going to argue with a fellow fan about how bad ass our Offense will be. No matter how they do what, they will be damn near unstoppable, or so it obviously appears.

Point was there is 1 ball and they played on 2 teams. Adding up all 3 of their NFL stats from 2011 doesn't do it......

I mean, if you look at the RB touches....it wouldn't make sense if you added all together.

Point was there is 1 ball. Adding up all 3 of their NFL stats from 2011 doesn't do it......

Point was there is 1 ball and they played on 2 teams. Adding up all 3 of their NFL stats from 2011 doesn't do it......

Just because you post it twice doesn't make it any more likely that I'll agree with you...

Just because you post it twice doesn't make it any more likely that I'll agree with you...

On phone...poo happens.

There are only so many touches. That was the point....so adding several RBs stats who played on different teams doesn't really = what to expect.

On phone...poo happens.

There are only so many touches. That was the point....so adding several RBs stats who played on different teams doesn't really = what to expect.

We added one RB... Not several....Why is it that everybody else gets what I was alluding to except for you?

Once again, I understand where you are coming from and at the same time I didn't make any wazuu guarantees. Only putting what we already knew into something that is easier to understand without wondering. You need a little perspective sometimes, and you constantly misconstrue what I say all the time.

It's okay though... I still love you (all homo)

Actually I agree with CRA. I understand your excited like a schoolgirl about our backfield, but you can't just add up everyones stats and say "ZOMG we are gonna run for 4000 yds and 40 tds and throw for that much too! You better be excited guys!!!!!!"

.....best backfield in the NFL? yes. Crazy madden numbers nobody has ever seen? nah

We added one RB... Not several....Why is it that everybody else gets what I was alluding to except for you?

Once again, I understand where you are coming from and at the same time I didn't make any wazuu guarantees. Only putting what we already knew into something that is easier to understand without wondering. You need a little perspective sometimes, and you constantly misconstrue what I say all the time.

It's okay though... I still love you (all homo)

Tolbert had more touches than DeAngelo last year. If you are going to add his stats to Double Troubles as to what we can expect, fine......but then you need to take approximately 175 touches away from another aspect of the offense.

And I love you too ( 99% no homo, 1% I'll never tell).

I just disagree with how you were making your point. I expect the RBs to be slightly more productive this year vs last.....nothing too crazy though. One ball and the best player on the team now wears #1 going forward

New Guy, I absolutely no way shape or firm am I expecting all 3 RB's to replicate those #'s... Can they? Absolutely they can if used properly in our system.

Please show me where I mashed up all of their stats and said I guarantee they can do thus again this year...

Don't worry I'll wait

CRA... We agreed the whole time then. Do you think I expect all 3 backs to have 180+ touches? That'd be crazy... BUT they could* that's my point. That they are capable of these #'s if necesary.

New Guy, I absolutely no way shape or firm am I expecting all 3 RB's to replicate those #'s... Can they? Absolutely they can if used properly in our system.

Please show me where I mashed up all of their stats and said I guarantee they can do thus again this year...

Don't worry I'll wait

CRA... We agreed the whole time then. Do you think I expect all 3 backs to have 180+ touches? That'd be crazy... BUT they could* that's my point. That they are capable of these #'s if necesary.

I guess my only point is....the offense goes through Cam. In Fox's old system, if he could pull of those numbers he would.

Cam IMO will take about 1/3 of the carries again this year. Just too easy. On top of that, he wants to win more than anyone....so considering he touches the ball every play he will continue to get his. I expect all 3 to split close to what the 2 RBs did last year (slightly more but nothing dramatic)

People can worry all they want about Cam...but running is part of what makes his game.

i'm expecting the offense to stay on the field longer.

i'm expecting us to throw the ball slightly less than last year, just more efficiently. but i'm also anticipating us running the ball a bit more than we did last year. i think we can pull off about 500 passing attempts (compared to 519 last year) and about 500 rushes (compared to 445 last year). those 500 rushes, aside from the few end arounds and other assorted "carries" will pretty much be spread out between williams, stewart, newton and tolbert. i'm not going to guess about the distribution between the guys except that williams will probably get the most then stewart, then newton and then tolbert. we got 5.4 yards per carry last year and i think we can actually increase that a little up to an even 5.5 ypc. if that is the case then that gets us to 2750 yards on the season which, given the talent we have, is pretty reasonable even if it would be better than any team last year.

as far as TDs...we led the league with 26 rushing TDs last year and i think we can do better than that. 30 rushing TDs is not at all unreasonable divided among those 4 ball carriers.

like i said i'm also expecting the passing game to be more efficient and that we'll see less INTs and a few more TDs thrown...maybe around 25 or as high as 30 (though that's probably on the high side of things). i can seriously see us pushing 60 offensive TDs next year. as green and ill-prepared as we were last year we scored 47 offensive TDs and i think with a year under their belts and a full offseason to prepare there's little reason to think they couldn't best that number by 5+ TDs.

i think there is a huge benefit to having the run game that we have in addition to the killer passing game that is going to be growing with cam. it makes this offense essentially unstoppable. defenses try to shut down the passing game and it only unleashes hell on the ground. if they try and contain the running game and they've invited a cam newton led blitzkrieg. who wouldn't want that? who wouldn't hate trying to stop that?

while the league is trying to copy what the patriots and Saints* have been doing, we are going to be taking that to another level and making something new that in the future other teams will be trying to duplicate.

screw trying to copy what other teams do. create something that other teams will want to do.

Carolina was 23rd in pass attempts in 2011. You think we throw less in 2012?

SD is in the top 10 every year in pass attempts. Chud's one good year in Clev they were 12th.

It is a passing offense. Cam is going to continue to take a nice chunk of the rushing which IMO is the main reason our attempts were down. Ball is going to be in Newton's hands one way or the other......and it should.

But I agree we try to carve our own path....Cam isn't Brady. But to line up and pound RBs doesn't put Cam in the best situations to be the game changer he is

Archived