• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Putting our Backfield in Perspective (stats included)

TruCatzFan

** All stats from 2011 season**

So, I'm bored because our training excercise got cancelled due to lightning, I have decided to look up our rushing stats from last year. Some of the stats kind of surprised me... Either way, I think that we will run the ball more next year and our offense will probably end up being pretty damned efficient if not... dare i say prolific

NAME ATT YDS AVG LONG 20+ TD

DeAngelo Williams 155 836 5.4 74 11 7

Jonathan Stewart 142 761 5.4 32 6 4

Cam Newton 126 706 5.6 49 6 14

Who would have thought that Cam Newton posted better #'s as a rusher than J-Stew??

Last year's roster stats:

2,303 yds

25 TD's

Add these #'s or something similar (over/under) to our already potent backfield...

Mike Tolbert 121 490 4.1 40 3 8

If you add up all of those yards, and TD's here's what we could* do...

2,793 yds

33 Td's

Thats just on the ground fellas... and it's SCARY!!!!!

Now let's take a look at them coming out of the backfield:

NAME REC TAR YDS AVG TD LONG 20+ YDS/G

Jonathan Stewart 41 61 413 8.8 1 26 4 25.8

DeAngelo Williams 16 26 135 8.4 0 32 1 8.4

Mike Tolbert 54 79 433 8.0 2 27 3 28.9

Add them together and here's what we could* do:

981 yds

3 TD's

Wondering what rushing and recieving stats would look like if combined? Dont worry... I got you:

3,774 yds

36 Td's

That's it fellas. These stats are jaw dropping. We're not even talking about the real vertical passing threats, incorporating this fear into opposing D's and killing them w/ playaction... Doesn't even include Smitty, Olsen, Lafell and any other major recieving threat yet to emerge...

If this doesn't give you goosebumps... If this doesn't get you excited, and really put into perspective as to how Dangerous this team will truly be Offensively then i don't know what to tell you.

One thing's for sure though, and Bart Scott said it best "Can't Wait"

This is the best I can do with the Huddle's current format.... Here's the link

http://espn.go.com/n...rolina-panthers

i can see us hitting 3000 yards on the ground this year. we most certainly have the talent. since most defenses are gearing towards the big time passing attacks from not just our team, but from many offenses around the league, they may very well become unprepared to handle rushing attacks like we have.

defenses have been adjusting to a passing league just like offenses have and it makes defending against rushes about as weak as many team's rushing games.

i can see us hitting 3000 yards on the ground this year. we most certainly have the talent. since most defenses are gearing towards the big time passing attacks from not just our team, but from many offenses around the league, they may very well become unprepared to handle rushing attacks like we have.

defenses have been adjusting to a passing league just like offenses have and it makes defending against rushes about as weak as many team's rushing games.

I agree most teams are staffing to respond to the pass.Plus if another of these wrs proves to be a deep threat that will keep the safeties home.The offense will be fun to watch

I don't think adding Williams, Stewart and Tolbert's stats together = what we can do with our RBs.

Tolbert's stats essentially overlap what those guys did last year.

I think we continue taking steps in the right direction....taking advantage of the rules favoring the pass as Cam grows....not trying to justify ways to play in the past.

Yes, we need to run. But this is going to be a Cam offense going forward.

I don't think adding Williams, Stewart and Tolbert's stats together = what we can do with our RBs.

I think we continue taking steps in the right direction....taking advantage of the rules favoring the pass as Cam grows....not trying to justify ways to play in the past.

I disagree... It very much shows what our RB's are capable of....especially since they just did it last year. Granted, Tolbert wasnt here. This "Triple Threat" (not including Cam) should keep all of them very fresh throughout the year. Their individual stats may suffer, but it's a Team sport right? Last year we used the pass to set up the run, but i think that we will do the opposite in the comign year.

Either way I'm not going to argue with a fellow fan about how bad ass our Offense will be. No matter how they do what, they will be damn near unstoppable, or so it obviously appears.

it's not playing in the past.

it's both taking advantage of the rules favoring the pass as cam grows and taking advantage of the strength we have in the run game.

everyone is jumping on the pass heavy front but essentially abandoning the run game. aaron rodgers even said they just don't need one. regardless of whatever trend is going on, we need to be as balanced as possible because at one point defenses are going to catch up to what the offensive culture is trending towards, but in doing that they pretty much become as unbalanced as most of the offenses in the league.

the team that is going to consistently rise above the rest is the one that isn't joining just a trend, but staying ahead of it or, better yet, starting a new one. if this team is successful with a balanced run game and passing game we are going to see more teams try and copy that template, and not just with trying to get a QB like cam, but a running attack like ours that is every bit as dangerous as the passing game.

i can think of no better way to spread defenses out than with an air game like ours and a ground game like ours.

Archived