Jump to content
  • Welcome!

    Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

    Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

    Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

     

The Canes agreed to terms with Alexander Semin


boney

Recommended Posts

Also Jokinen had the highest face-off percentage of anyone on the team last year so I would bet they will keep him at center.

Jokinen has the faceoffs and scoring. Ruutu has the faceoffs, scoring, and physicality which would make him more of a true center than Jokinen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First, Rutherford said that if they can acquire a winger to play on the first line that it was very likely that they would play the Staal's on the first line.

Secondly, Ruutu's face-off percentage was horrible last year (35.5) as where Jokinen's was 55.1. On top of that Jokinen was regularly playing center for the Canes until they acquired Welsh to center the line for the last game.

Finally, I don't see the Panthers signing anyone else, they may make a trade to acquire a defense-man, but I think they are pretty much done.

Also I think you are selling guys like Welsh, Rask, Dalpe, and Nash short. I could see any of those four centering the third line.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Release from NHL.com

The Carolina Hurricanes on Thursday signed free-agent left wing Alexander Semin to a one-year, $7 million contract.

"I'm very happy to be a Carolina Hurricane," Semin said. "It's a great fit for me. I look forward to playing with great players, and putting together a winning season."

"Alexander's elite skill level and ability to score from the wing fill an important need on the ice, and we hope that a fresh start in Carolina will serve both Alexander and our team well," Hurricanes general manager Jim Rutherford said.

Semin has scored at least 25 goals in six of the past seven seasons for the Washington Capitals, including a career-best 40 in 2009-10. Last season, though, he had a career-low 21 goals, and has totaled 54 points each of the past two seasons, down from the 84 he had in 2009-10. He also had three goals and an assist in 14 Stanley Cup Playoff games as the Capitals advanced to the Eastern Conference semifinals.

While questions surrounded Semin's desire and work ethic, Rutherford said he envisions him fitting in just fine with his team.

"We have done a lot of research about Alexander, and discussions about his fit with our team have included people at many different levels of our organization, including players, coaches and staff," Rutherford said. "What's been clear throughout this process was his commitment to wanting to play in the NHL and compete against the world's best players."

In seven seasons, all with the Capitals, Semin has 197 goals and 408 points in 469 games. He also has 34 points in 51 playoff games.

Semin is the second top-six forward the Hurricanes have acquired this season, joining Jordan Staal, who came over in a trade with the Pittsburgh Penguins last month.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Press Release from Hurricanes.com

RALEIGH, NC – Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has agreed to terms with left wing Alexander Semin (SEH-min) on a one-year contract. The deal will pay Semin $7 million for the 2012-13 season.

“We have done a lot of research about Alexander, and discussions about his fit with our team have included people at many different levels of our organization, including players, coaches and staff,” said Rutherford. “What’s been clear throughout this process was his commitment to wanting to play in the NHL, and compete against the world’s best players.

“Alexander’s elite skill level and ability to score from the wing fill an important need on the ice, and we hope that a fresh start in Carolina will serve both Alexander and our team well.”

Semin, 28, completed his seventh NHL season in 2011-12, ranking second among Washington Capitals skaters in goals (21), assists (33) and points (54), and tied for fourth in plus/minus (+9). The Krasnoyarsk, Russia, native earned three goals and one assist (4 points) in 14 Stanley Cup playoff games for the Capitals, as Washington topped Boston in the first round before falling to the New York Rangers in seven games. Following the playoffs, he joined Russia at the 2012 IIHF World Championship, tallying five points (2g, 3a) in three games, including two goals and one assist during Russia’s gold-medal game victory.

“I’m very happy to be a Carolina Hurricane,” said Semin. “It’s a great fit for me. I look forward to playing with great players, and putting together a winning season.”

Selected by Washington in the first round, 13th overall, of the 2002 NHL Entry Draft, Semin (6’2”, 209 lbs.) has totaled 197 goals, 211 assists (408 points) and 450 penalty minutes in 469 career regular-season games with the Capitals. He is one of 18 NHL players to have averaged 30 goals or more per year over the last six seasons, with 187 total goals in that period of time. Semin netted his 197th career goal on April 5 against Florida, moving into fifth place on Washington’s all-time goal-scoring list. He has a career plus/minus rating of plus-65, and his plus-92 rating over the last four seasons ranks fifth among all NHL players.

Semin has represented Russia in nine major international competitions, including the 2010 Winter Olympic Games. He helped Russia capture gold medals at the 2008 and 2012 IIHF World Championships, and also won medals at the 2002 U-18 World Junior Championship (silver), 2005 IIHF World Championship (bronze) and 2010 IIHF World Championship (silver). Semin’s career statistics are below.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Press Release from ESPN

RALEIGH, N.C. -- Free-agent forward Alexander Semin has agreed to terms with theCarolina Hurricanes on a one-year contract worth $7 million, the team said Thursday.

The former Washington Capitals star is the latest big name to join the Hurricanes, who acquired center Jordan Staal in a draft-day trade with Pittsburgh.

Even after that trade, Carolina said it wanted to find another elite forward. But the Hurricanes came up short in their pursuit of free-agent Zach Parise, who signed with Minnesota, then failed to swing a trade for Rick Nash, whom Columbus dealt to the New York Rangers.

So, they wound up signing a winger from a Southeast Division rival who has tormented them over the years. Semin's career totals of 27 goals and 45 points against Carolina are his most against any NHL team.

"Alexander's elite skill level and ability to score from the wing fill an important need on the ice, and we hope that a fresh start in Carolina will serve both Alexander and our team well," general manager Jim Rutherford said.

Semin, 28, ranked second on the Capitals last season with 21 goals, 33 assists and 54 points, then added three more goals and another assist in 14 playoff games.

He spent his entire seven-season NHL career with Washington, is one of 18 NHL players to average at least 30 goals during the last six seasons and leaves the Capitals at No. 5 on their career goal-scoring list.

He had 197 goals, 211 assists, 408 points and 450 penalty minutes in 469 career regular-season games with the Capitals.

In a statement issued by his new team, Semin called the Hurricanes "a great fit for me."

I knew Semin had tortured us in the past, but I had no idea it was that bad. Cam Ward must have night mares about Alex Semin.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Press Release from ESPN

RALEIGH, N.C. -- Free-agent forward Alexander Semin has agreed to terms with theCarolina Hurricanes on a one-year contract worth $7 million, the team said Thursday.

The former Washington Capitals star is the latest big name to join the Hurricanes, who acquired center Jordan Staal in a draft-day trade with Pittsburgh.

Even after that trade, Carolina said it wanted to find another elite forward. But the Hurricanes came up short in their pursuit of free-agent Zach Parise, who signed with Minnesota, then failed to swing a trade for Rick Nash, whom Columbus dealt to the New York Rangers.

So, they wound up signing a winger from a Southeast Division rival who has tormented them over the years. Semin's career totals of 27 goals and 45 points against Carolina are his most against any NHL team.

"Alexander's elite skill level and ability to score from the wing fill an important need on the ice, and we hope that a fresh start in Carolina will serve both Alexander and our team well," general manager Jim Rutherford said.

Semin, 28, ranked second on the Capitals last season with 21 goals, 33 assists and 54 points, then added three more goals and another assist in 14 playoff games.

He spent his entire seven-season NHL career with Washington, is one of 18 NHL players to average at least 30 goals during the last six seasons and leaves the Capitals at No. 5 on their career goal-scoring list.

He had 197 goals, 211 assists, 408 points and 450 penalty minutes in 469 career regular-season games with the Capitals.

In a statement issued by his new team, Semin called the Hurricanes "a great fit for me."

I knew Semin had tortured us in the past, but I had no idea it was that bad. Cam Ward must have night mares about Alex Semin.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From Rotoworld

The Carolina Hurricanes have signed free agent forward Alexander Semin to a one-year, $7 million contract.

Semin potted 21 goals and added 33 assists in 77 games with the Capitals last season. He had signed a one-year deal with the Capitals prior to last season worth $6.7 million. "We have done a lot of research about Alexander, and discussions about his fit with our team have included people at many different levels of our organization, including players, coaches and staff," said Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford in a team statement. "What's been clear throughout this process was his commitment to wanting to play in the NHL, and compete against the world's best players. Alexander's elite skill level and ability to score from the wing fill an important need on the ice, and we hope that a fresh start in Carolina will serve both Alexander and our team well." His 2011-12 goal total was the lowest he's registered in six seasons since the 2004-05 NHL lockout, despite matching a career-high in games played.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First, Rutherford said that if they can acquire a winger to play on the first line that it was very likely that they would play the Staal's on the first line.

Secondly, Ruutu's face-off percentage was horrible last year (35.5) as where Jokinen's was 55.1. On top of that Jokinen was regularly playing center for the Canes until they acquired Welsh to center the line for the last game.

Finally, I don't see the Panthers signing anyone else, they may make a trade to acquire a defense-man, but I think they are pretty much done.

Also I think you are selling guys like Welsh, Rask, Dalpe, and Nash short. I could see any of those four centering the third line.

lol first you say that JR said it was up to Mueller to decide if the Staals play together or not and if they got a center AND winger they most likely would. Now you conveniently say if they acquire a winger, JR is saying the Staals will play together. It doesn't make sense though because since we are lacking at Center, suddenly we are ok if we sign a winger?

I think right now if they do play together, our team is weaker at the center position than last year. Truth is we only have 2 true centers right now if they do that. And thats Brent and E.Staal. Ruutu is more physical than Jokinen which is a big part of playing Center anyway. They can always have someone else do faceoffs if they like since it's not always up to the Center every faceoff. If i had to choose, it would be Ruutu at Center.

If they don't pick up anyone else on D, then you can say goodbye to the playoffs because they aren't making it. The D was terrible last season and we've really done nothing.

Welsh, Rask, Dalpe, and Nash are unproven so I dont know how you can include them right now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Really its hard to make up lines right now and predict what the team will do since preseason hasn't even started and we're a couple months away. All you can do is make up what you think is best. I don't even think they know what the lines will be. I believe though if they put the Staals along with Semin at the first line, the rest of the team is weak and we really wouldn't be improving much since last season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

lol first you say that JR said it was up to Mueller to decide if the Staals play together or not and if they got a center AND winger they most likely would. Now you conveniently say if they acquire a winger, JR is saying the Staals will play together. It doesn't make sense though because since we are lacking at Center, suddenly we are ok if we sign a winger?

I think right now if they do play together, our team is weaker at the center position than last year. Truth is we only have 2 true centers right now if they do that. And thats Brent and E.Staal. Ruutu is more physical than Jokinen which is a big part of playing Center anyway. They can always have someone else do faceoffs if they like since it's not always up to the Center every faceoff. If i had to choose, it would be Ruutu at Center.

If they don't pick up anyone else on D, then you can say goodbye to the playoffs because they aren't making it. The D was terrible last season and we've really done nothing.

Welsh, Rask, Dalpe, and Nash are unproven so I dont know how you can include them right now.

I never said that it was up to Mueller, I quoted Rutherford and hockey analyst Bob McKenzie saying that Rutherford was looking for a winger to play on the first line and if they could acquire one that there was a good chance that they would play the Staal's together.

We could serve to add another center but you aren't going to ever find out how good Welsh, Rask, Dalpe, and Nash are unless you give them a chance.

The word from rookie camp was that Welsh was really impressive and has a wicked shot, don't be surprised if he centers the third line this year.

The real problem is indeed the defense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I never said that it was up to Mueller, I quoted Rutherford and hockey analyst Bob McKenzie saying that Rutherford was looking for a winger to play on the first line and if they could acquire one that there was a good chance that they would play the Staal's together.

We could serve to add another center but you aren't going to ever find out how good Welsh, Rask, Dalpe, and Nash are unless you give them a chance.

The word from rookie camp was that Welsh was really impressive and has a wicked shot, don't be surprised if he centers the third line this year.

The real problem is indeed the defense.

Well that's what I heard from someone, I thought it was you since you are one of my biggest sources of info. Must have been someone on facebook, but I read the article that JR said it was up to Mueller and I remember someone saying if JR signed a center and winger, the Staals most likely would be together.

Sure they could give those young guys a chance, but we are evaluating the team right now and I can't do that since they haven't played.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


×
×
  • Create New...