• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Anyone use an Over The Air Antenna for HD?

fitty76

I'm switching to this method for watching Panther games this season as I found I never watch cable anyway other than football. I picked up a $17 HD antenna and got one of those converter boxes since my TV isn't a new HD rig.

Haven't tried to play with it just yet to get it working, but hopefully it will. I don't know how many channels to expect, TBH. I know I can get Fox, which is the one that matters most since that's where most of our games are aired, but it'd be nice to get NBC/CBS as well. I found a web site that says I should be able to pick up all 3. I live on the coast and not in a huge city, though it's not backwoods either.

I suppose in a big city you can probably get a lot more channels.

my wife and i bought one of these last week... showed up friday and i've been trying to get it working today. so far, i've been able to pick up three, THREE fuging channels. i live in the Northlake area, so i should be able to pick up plenty of channels, but no dice. only one HD channel out of the three, and it's PBS. this junk is heading back asap. it's even the USB powered, $75 version... junk

what's the word on this? this obviously doesn't have adjustable rabbit ears to help fine tune for direction.

i just wanna keep TWC from getting anymore of my money but need my football this fall. besides that, i'm moving to the hulu plus/netflix route

That's disappointing to hear. Antennas can be hit and miss, best to try a few different brands in different areas of the home. At least Amazon has a decent return policy.

I'm still using the leaf and it's reliable for me. The one I have doesn't use any power which is a bonus for me. It only has the coaxial cable running to it. I have to move it around occasionally but if I plan to watch something, I can usually easily find an ideal spot a few minutes before the game starts. My TV has a 'status' button on the remote which will show a percentage number for how well the signal is picking up. Once you have it on a channel and are receiving a high %, it's best to do the scan for channels again.

Archived