• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Beason

beason's own words...

My Surgery

Written by Jon Beason

February 26, 2009

I tore the labrum in my shoulder the first time we played Arizona, I think it was in October.

I put my arm down to push myself up and it kind of collapsed. I popped it back into place and got back in the huddle. I think we were winning, 24-23, and two plays later I made an interception that led to a field goal and we won the game.

It’s funny how certain players can play through pain and some can’t. I have values for the parts of my body. In terms of my wings—shoulder, elbows, hands—it’s not negotiable. Unless it’s sticking through the skin or bleeding bad, I’m staying in the game.

It was eight or nine weeks into the season, I was thinking about the playoffs, going to the Super Bowl, making the Pro Bowl. There was no way I was going to come out of the game ever.

The rest of the season I rehabbed it and treated it. It popped back out a couple more times, and I was basically playing with no strength. When I tackled someone it was almost like throwing a pillow at them. I had no grip in that arm, no way to stop someone. I played like that the rest of the season, just fighting to get the job done. It took away my range of motion. But I know my teammates would do the same for me.

And I wasn’t going to sit home through my first Pro Bowl, so I had the surgery done on February 12. It’s in a sling 4-6 weeks and I have to rehab it close to four months. After that I’ll be able to lift anything I want. I just got the stitches out yesterday, so I just started moving it again.

I absolutely will be ready for training camp and I’ll be at full strength for our first exhibition game. I really think I can be ready for OTAs at the end of May, but I don’t know how much they’ll let me play against guys who are trying to make the team.

I have to make sure there are no setbacks. We have new defensive coaches, new schemes. It will be a process learning that stuff and getting acclimated to new terminology.

I just want to let Panthers fans know that there’s no quit in us. Continue to believe in this team, in our coaches. We’re going to keep going at it and we’re never going to stop.

There’s a breakthrough coming real soon.

http://www.jonbeason.com/blog.html

Can you ask for anything more than that out of a player?

That's just made me an even bigger Beason fan than before.

I played like that the rest of the season, just fighting to get the job done. It took away my range of motion. But I know my teammates would do the same for me.

And to think of how good he was during the second half of the season...all season, really. We've got a beast on our hands, I believe.

A great first round pick. High motor, high character, high valuation, pride, and concern for HIS team, and the sense of ownership that it takes to be one of the greats.
totally in agreement there.

stepping in the way he did his rookie year let me know there was something special about him but last year watching him at TC i saw real leadership and an amazing amount of respect from the team even though he was only going into his 2nd season.

hating to bring it up but i also really admired him stepping into the the smitty/lucas brawl last year. when i saw that from across the field remembering that it was beason in there separating them really stuck out in my mind. he sees what needs to be done in any situation and does it.

I hope it doesn't go too far though, his wanting to stay in the game i mean. We have a viable backup in connor and if he is throwing pillows at running backs when connor could be blasting them I want connor in the game. Quite a guy though

I hope it doesn't go too far though, his wanting to stay in the game i mean. We have a viable backup in connor and if he is throwing pillows at running backs when connor could be blasting them I want connor in the game. Quite a guy though

beason's idea of "throwing pillows" is knocking marshawn lynch's helmet off in the pro bowl. IDK if u guys have seen lynch play, but he's very marion barber like... maybe beason meant to say throwing pillow full of lit dynamite?

Archived