• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Phenomenal Article By Greg Cosell On The Myth Of The "winner Qb"

JawnyBlaze

Phenominal huh? If I read it, it better be good... (goes to verify this article)

This article has only exemplified what every fan thinks and what every sports anchor won't say aloud... This guy just said it. Kudos to him, but it's not mind boggling nor a game changer. For the lack of a better term... "It is what it is"

Brady is 3-0 during the SpyGate, and after he is 0-2 in the Supper Bowl, I think that has a lot to do with it also.

he also won 18 games in a row after spygate...

he's then went on to obliterating passing records season after season without a true #1 wide out (welker is a slot man, as good as he is. he requires precision to be effective, he's not catching balls in traffic between 2 defenders). not to mention his team has consistently been one of the most dominant teams in the generally superior AFC.

Anyway people usually bring up the "winner" argument when they like or don't like a quarterback based on things other than performance. People who don't like Newton's attitude, immediate success or are flat out racist claim he's not a winner, or doesn't care about winning. People who blindly like The Golden Calf of Bristol for religious beliefs, his collegiate success or his modest personality claim he wins because he inspires those around him to win.

It's basically a bullshit argument. Nobody has ever defended Trent Dilfer after his super bowl victory defiantly claiming he willed his team to win. Nobody thinks Dan Marino isn't a winner or doesn't care about winning even though he never won a championship. This is a fairly new concept to the NFL, where personality meets performance. Reality TV mixed with video games mixed with football = modern NFL.

Anyway people usually bring up the "winner" argument when they like or don't like a quarterback based on things other than performance. People who don't like Newton's attitude, immediate success or are flat out racist claim he's not a winner, or doesn't care about winning. People who blindly like The Golden Calf of Bristol for religious beliefs, his collegiate success or his modest personality claim he wins because he inspires those around him to win.

friendly reminder that when Newton was winning championships in college people were critiquing him based on how his skills would translate to the pro level, and when he proved he did have the skills and talent to be a good passer they started looking at his team's w/l record and criticising him for not leading them to victory.

friendly reminder that when Newton was winning championships in college people were critiquing him based on how his skills would translate to the pro level, and when he proved he did have the skills and talent to be a good passer they started looking at his team's w/l record and criticising him for not leading them to victory.

Not entirely sure what your point is...

Newton is going to have haters no matter how exceptionally he performs or how many championships he wins. His confidence, immediate success, collegiate career, evident popularity and race generate jealousy and controversy.

Wait... I'm a bit drunk but I re read ur post. I think ur agreeing that people will always point out his flaws no matter how minor, despite his success. If so greatly awesome post! Otherwise BOOOOOOO!!!!

Finally. It irks me every time when people say well he doesn't win or he just wins. Football is a team sport and even though a QB has a major role in deciding the game, he is not 100% responsible for wins or losses.

The media has pushed this win thing and a lot of average/new fans have bought it and these said fans have brought it up constantly when discussing QBs.

Great article...and this is article articulates what I think when someone say Eli is the the Best Manning. Eli is just now getting to the elite stage after a decade of his career being very uneven and leading the league in ints three seasons ago.

Eli would not have made much difference if he played for Indy last season but i do think if Peyton was healthy the Colts would have been a wildcard team...bc Peyton is a winner who can carry an entire team with the ball control offense to keep the defense off the field.

Both are clutch QBs Eli has just done it most recently..thats what usually rules now a days.

Archived