• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

WTF apple!!

frash.exe

I tried to search out the articles but with everyone loosing their minds over the price increase, searching the term "Apples share of Itunes price" is pretty much a futile gesture.

And I actually think it wasn't until they did the promo with Coke that they started making any money off of it at all. Before then it all went to the production companies. Don't quote me there.

Still, even if it's $.20 out of $1.29, theres still a dollar nine going to the production companies. There's your highway robbery. Apple's entitled to make a few cents off their monster if they want, but with the overhead on production of a single MP3 being about half a cent with little to no post-release cost for the record labels...Apple isn't the one anybody should be mad at.

as of 2007 the Itunes store was operating at a 10 percent profit margin (this is just the store.) Before the increase it was up to 11 percent. Have to wait and see what it is after this increase.

Based on per-song cost estimates, the ubiquitous iTunes service generates an operating profit of at least 10 percent, and possibly as much as 15 percent, according to PacificCrest's Andy Hargreaves. The analyst on Monday released a detailed report on the subject, in which he informed Apple investors that the economics of iTunes could soon serve as a boon for the company's bottom line.

Link

I thought the whole transition to the 254 whatever format was the excuse for the higher prices on some songs. Companies usually introduce newer, "higher" quality of the same stuff as a way of upping the price. Take New Era for example...I remember when their fitted hats used to be $21.

Archived