• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Peppers to sit out mini camp this weekend

dpanthersman

When discussing whether or not they'd franchise him again next season, you have to remember the possibility that next season could be uncapped. I don't personally believe that will happen, mind you, but you have to acknowledge the possibility.

As to Peppers situation at this point: He bluffed. They called. He's got no real leverage now either way since holding out will hurt him just as much (arguably more, given his age) than it will hurt the team.

Kevin Greene held out too. Leadership (outside of the Richardsons) was different then, but in the end they didn't give him what he wanted either.

When discussing whether or not they'd franchise him again next season, you have to remember the possibility that next season could be uncapped. I don't personally believe that will happen, mind you, but you have to acknowledge the possibility.

As to Peppers situation at this point: He bluffed. They called. He's got no real leverage now either way since holding out will hurt him just as much (arguably more, given his age) than it will hurt the team.

Kevin Greene held out too. Leadership (outside of the Richardsons) was different then, but in the end they didn't give him what he wanted either.

You can count the Redskins as being pro no cap for next year. LMAO, if the league has a cap next year they are messed up bad. Hall is counting like 11 million next year and Haynesworth is counting over 20 million next year. lmao.

Peppers if he holds out will hurt himself even more,

1. if he holds out, he losses that 1 million per game pay check

2. it lowers his cap hit for next season, because he didn't have a playing salary this season.

3. he would be a 30 year old DE with a year of rust for a player who many were questioning his commitment to football.

Not a good combination if you ask me, three strikes and your out comes to mind in this situation...

Lets see it would cost him 17 mil this year and around 6 mil next year when he would be franchised for a grand total of 23 mil lost and the fact he would be 31. That doesn't sound worth it to me.

Ps if they are willing to franchise him and pay 17 mil this year. They will be falling all over themselves to franchise him next year at around 12 mil if he holds out for the year

Another point is JP and Carey will be making an even bigger gamble if they think the team is beyond franchising him next year. If the Panthers called his bluff this season, what's the odds of them doing it again next offseason if they choose to keep him? Mind you , the odds are it's fiscally unlikely the Panthers will pay him $20MM + to franchise him again, but they're willing to eat $17MM this year, what's to say they won't position themselves to give him another 1 year tender after next season, especially if there's no salary cap?

Of course, Pep and his agent may be waiting to see what happens with the CBA also. If the League decides to do away with the cap (which I hope never happens),JP could be in for an astronomical pay raise either here or somehwere else.

It's the offseason conditioning programs that he doesn't take part in. He usually attends the mini camps.

He has skipped year before last if my memory servers me and the year before that. Last year I do believe he attended but that is rare.

Archived