• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Salary Negotiations?

Zcustom

No, it is not bad to ask. Just make sure he is asking for a realistic amount. Also, you need to justify why you want more money.

Here is an example of how to say this.

"My job responsible is require me to manage A, B, & C tasks. However, I am also managing D, E, & F...Therefore I believe a 12% increase in my pay is warranted."

or

You can ask what other people people are making in your organization, that have similar responsibilities.

If your employer works this way, bring in another job offer. Two awesome words: retention raise. Hate doing it, but it can work. But that may be more of an academic/research/biotech field policy.

True, but I've seen that backfire as it destroyed the trust the employer had and put a target on the person's back... they were kept around just long enough for the company to groom their replacement.

I'm of the opinion that if you want more money, present your case within the context of your company. If they don't oblige, then it's time to decide if a new job at more money is the way to go.

Know going in what you would like, what you would settle for, and what would make you walk away.

basically this. he who says the dollar figure first ALWAYS loses. talk range and junk and like scrum said, be happy with a cozy spot in the middle.

I've never had to 'negotiate'. The current job I'm at tried to low ball me when I was hired but I just said my number and didn't budge while they slowly came up. My next raise was simply matching the offer I got from another company. All I can say is knowing the boss(manager/ceo/whatever) helps a lot.

Archived