• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

6 Dts And 5 (I'm Guessing) Spots:

CardiacCats

Our 3 techs cannot rush the passer WORTH A DAMN, meaning since they cannot there is no reason to put a smaller guy out there. If we had a pash rusher there you would be correct, if you think that Neblett or McClain have shown anything to prove that they can rush the passer effectively you would be incorrect.

That might be an exaggeration. Neblett had 2 1/2 sacks after appearing in only 12 games and starting 4 games. Most DTs don't get more than 4-6 sacks a season so his year wasn't that bad. He was 7th among second year DTs and didn't play the whole year.

You are right I think about Brown as a first rounder because that is his relative worth to us because it cost us a first rounder when we drafted him but technically we drafted him in the second round.

Brown was cut because he didn't fit into what we were doing and while Rivera may not have drafted him, Hurney did and he was involved in the decision as well so I think the fact that guys will be cut if they don't produce is a valid one no matter where you were picked. To say we haven't seen Rivera cut any of his guys assumes that he is the primary decision maker and from everything I have read or seen since he was hired would suggest that he is not the only one. Plus it is not the norm for any team to cut their top draft picks after 1 season especially without a training camp or off-season. But I clearly can sense that Rivera is less loyal to vets than Fox and has more urgency to win now.

With your previous post you were making the point that RR has not shown loyalty to his players because he cut Brown. I was just pointing out that, of course he has no loyal, he's not one of RR's guys. He was Fox/Hurney. So you made the presumption that RR was the man who cut Brown and made the sole decision. So now you are saying that everything you read is that RR and Hurney make mutual decisions on cuts (which I think is correct, it's always a mutual decision between GM and Coach). I was simply pointing out that it was an inaccurate statement that you made, about RR cutting Brown and not showing loyalty.. but I think we are on the same page now. So we do not know how loyal RR will be to his drafted vets because none of the players he drafted are 'vets' yet, obviously. It's impossible to tell. I want to believe that RR will play the best player on the roster, there is no evidence to say otherwise, yet.

If he starts Fua over some of these other NTs on our team, then I will raise an eyebrow. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

Our 3 techs cannot rush the passer WORTH A DAMN, meaning since they cannot there is no reason to put a smaller guy out there. If we had a pash rusher there you would be correct, if you think that Neblett or McClain have shown anything to prove that they can rush the passer effectively you would be incorrect.

This is assuming no progress can be made during the offseason. DT is an extremely hard position for a rookie to come into and have immediate success. And I'm talking 1st rounders that struggle to find a role immediately. Our third rounders should not have had to play so extensively, leaning on eachother, each one's inexperience failing to help the other one. Last year was more about getting them experience than setting our D up for immediate success.

That experience will hopefully pay off. A full NFL offseason will hopefully pay off. I'm not saying that they will be world beaters, but I'm not gonna sit here and assume that they will play as bad as they did last year. James Anderson was a third rounder that took some time to develop, and look at him now. Same for CJ. Hopefully we can lump LaFell into that group too after this season. I'm glad we didn't give up on our 3rd rounders after one year.

If I had to guess which 5 we would keep, I'd guess Shirley is the odd man out. Riv and Hurney name dropped each DT and how much improvement they showed, except for Shirley...

That might be an exaggeration. Neblett had 2 1/2 sacks after appearing in only 12 games and starting 4 games. Most DTs don't get more than 4-6 sacks a season so his year wasn't that bad. He was 7th among second year DTs and didn't play the whole year.

I get that, I just do not understand the in the box thinking of some on here that says "We must have one large man that is 350 lbs and one quick 300 lb man, that is the way it is." If you do not get an effective rush from the 3 tech you might as well put two guys that are hard to move in there, even if it goes against how things are typically done.It just doesn't make sense to equate a players size to who would be starting, which is what I see a lot on this board.

It is tough to gauge who will be cut because they are all average. We need to worry about how we are going to get above average DT's in here so 2-3 of these guys get cut. We have seen some potential in a few of them, but nothing to make us believe they are going to be above average.

They aren't getting rid of Fua or McClain, the reason they passed on a few decent-looking DTs this year is because they know they chose 2 guys in the third last draft. I agree, it's unfair to the other guys who performed better, but those guys have locked-in spots. I saw good things out of Shirley, Neblett and Kearse and don't want to see any of them go. Let's look at stats for a second:

Fua: 11 starts, 9 total tackles

McClain: 12 starts, 19 total tackles, 1 sack

Neblett: 12 games, 4 starts, 23 total tackles, 2.5 sacks

Kearse: 6 games, 4 starts, 10 tackles, 0.5 sacks

Shirley: 4 games, 0 starts, 4 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 1 FF

The bottom three were far more productive then the rooks, and remember Kearse was a rookie also last season. All of them have rightfully earned a spot on the team but unless someone goes down with an injury (which very well could happen) one of them won't make it out of camp. Which really sucks... I would guess Shirley but he had as many sacks as any of our other DTs in only 4 games and no starts.

Archived