• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Recommendation For String Trimmer Needed

Hairless Cat

My 6 year old Troybuilt 4 cycle has finally crapped out- to expensive just to buy the parts to justify repairing it.

I need a new one and looking for recomendations for one. I want another 4 cycle- never going back to mixing oil and gas again - I alwo want one with the line that you replace a single length at a time - not lthe spool type that always screws up. Also dont want to spend more than about $ 150 -

help please

Its 2 stroke, but I have a straight shaft troy bilt. I've had it about 3 years now with no problems. I don't mind mixing the oil and gas. I have a gas can just for that.

As far as the spool...You can get an easy stringer kind of attachment where you just cut lengths of string, and then insert them into cam locks on that spool. I did that after one season of trying to figure out how to properly load my spool with no success. It's something like this. http://www.lowes.com/pd_79964-42694-16267_4294747233_4294937087_?productId=3044053&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_String%2BTrimmer%2BParts%2BAccessories_4294747233_4294937087_%3Fpage%3D4%26Ns%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

I purchased a Ryobi 24 volt cordless trimmer after my Ryobi gas powered trimmer crapped out. I will admit that it does not have the ass to power through very tall grass, but it works great for general trimming. I dont have to worry about mixing gas and trying to get it started. Long lasting lithium battery that does not lose torque as the battery weakens. It is very quiet and only runs when the trigger is pressed. The cutting head pivots and locks easily and turns into a great edger. It was a little expensive, more than $150. You could buy a very nice gass trimmer for the same price, but I would still reccommend it.

I would not get the 18 volt model.

I hate gas lawn equipment because with the crap gas nowadays...it doesn't take long for these little carbs to get lacquered up and gunked up to the point they never run like new again. You have to constantly use them to get the life out of them.

That being said...having one that I can take half of it off and put a hedge trimmer, bended string, or straight shaft has always been nice. Just know you'll have to buy one every so many years.

I just bought this Ryobi trimmer that you can get different attachments for. Straight shaft trimmer, curved shaft trimmer, tiller, edger, brush cutter, hedge trimmer, blower and pruner(mini chainsaw). So far it's been great but I'll have to see how time treats it.

Archived