• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What If We're Moving To A 3-4 (Justahypotheticalplzdontshootme)

JawnyBlaze

I'm not saying I think we are (I'd give it a 3% chance), just a hypothetical alternate universe.

So, in Scenario A ) TD is back to at least nearly full form and plays out a full NFL career. Scenario B )TD is done, doesn't play anymore or at least not at a level that he's a major consideration in our plans.

Scenario A ) We're moving to a 3-4 and our starting LBs are Anderson, Beason, Davis, Kuechly. We use our 2nd round pick on Devon Still or Kendall Reyes or Jared Crick to play one DE spot and CJ plays the other. We select Alameda Ta'amu in the 4th to play NT. Edwards is the starting NT this year with the Samoans as backups learning the spot. Our front 7 on running downs is CJ/Edwards or Ta'amu/Still or Reyes or Crick. On passing downs Still/Reyes/Crick slides in to DT or McClain comes in to take the spot, while Hardy and CJ rotating as the pass rushing OLB (with guys like Applewhite and Kaiser getting some reps).

So on passing downs our front 7 is either CJ or Hardy/Still or Reyes or Crick/McClain and CJ or Hardy/Beason/Kuechly/Anderson or TD. Edwards/Ta'amu could stay in on passing downs if we're TOO small with that lineup, though, with the DEs being CJ or Hardy and McClain or one of the 2nd round guys.

Scenario B ) With TD done, our starting 4 LBs on running downs are Anderson, Beason, Kuechly and Hardy/CJ rotating - one at DE, one at OLB (I think they're both versatile enough to do it, CJ did last year a few times and Hardy's quicker than he is). The DL is CJ or Hardy (whichever one isn't standing up), Edwards (or Ta'amu if he's better), and the 5-tech we take in the 2nd.

On passing downs the DL would be CJ/McClain or whatever pass rusher DT can best hold down the middle/5-tech from 2nd round or McClain if that 5-tech is in the middle (Still would be my best guess). The LBs would be Anderson, Beason, Kuechly, Hardy (with Applewhite/Kaiser rotating in).

So basically we would just be shuffling in a smaller faster DL on passing downs with the LBs staying mostly the same.

Summary of how this alternate universe strategy affects the rest of our draft: In the 2nd round we take a 5-tech - best options as far as I can tell are Devon Still, Kendall Reyes or Jared Crick. In the 4th we take Alameda Ta'amu. If Ta'amu is gone in the 4th and there's no other suitable replacements we'd have to hope Edwards can last a full season and/or Fua would be ready to go this year (putting on about 15 or 20 lbs). After that it's just BPA for depth. I'm guessing a Punter in the 5th (even in the real world I'm predicting that's where we take one, everyone knows we need a Punter and if we want the best we probably need to spend at least a 5th on him), in the three picks in the 6th and 7th we address OL depth, maybe swing Cliff Harris or some other CB that they like and maybe a WR or another OL.

This obviously doesn't actually address the need at #2 CB, but with a front 7 that can generate pressure, hopefully Hogan can be at least a serviceable #2 CB. If not, we grab a CB early next year.

Why is the second scenario called the B) scenario? Honestly thats really sick man. Yes its possible that TD is done, but to seem happy about it is a disgrace.

Because the forum changed my B with a ) behind it to that smiley. I had to put a space between them to fix it.

In no way would I be happy if TD didn't play anymore. If you were familiar with my other posts (before today's draft and after) you'd realize that's the furthest thing from the truth.

Because the forum changed my B with a ) behind it to that smiley. I had to put a space between them to fix it.

In no way would I be happy if TD didn't play anymore. If you were familiar with my other posts (before today's draft and after) you'd realize that's the furthest thing from the truth.

Alright my bad man, I've just met TD a couple of times and he is legit one of the nicest guys ever so I can get a little defensive about him on here.

Alright my bad man, I've just met TD a couple of times and he is legit one of the nicest guys ever so I can get a little defensive about him on here.

I was probably just upset as you were that we went after a LB....pretty much ending TD here....

None of our LBer's are the right type to play OLB in a 3-4

That's why our "pass rusher OLB" would usually be Hardy or CJ. If Rivera doesn't think they could do it full time we could try to get Curry or Branch in the 2nd but I think Hardy and CJ could probably play the spot as well as they could.

Too many hypotheticals in there for me. We'll have to see how it plays out.

If we get Jenkins in the 2nd... Nobody can talk poo IMO (although they will)

Our defense was horrible last year. If we end up taking the best LB in the draft and the 2nd best CB, I think we're good.

Furthermore, we want BIG DT's to draw double teams and free up our LB's... There are PLEnTY of those left, as DT is the deepest position in this draft hands down.

I feel good about where we're going and how we're getting there

I'm in the camp that is curious as to why we couldn't shift to a 3-4. With Kuechly and Beason in the middle, can we not sort out 2 outside lb's that fit a 34 from the likes of Davis, Anderson, Applewhite, Norwood, and Hardy? Edwards as the NT and then use two of CJ, Hardy, Keiser or Applewhite here? I understand the 3-4, but would the above listed players not fit into the scheme somewhere? Honestly just asking, not implying.

Archived