• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers Round 1 Draft Selection - Luke Kuechly

Zod

Was disappointed at the pick at first but I think I understand it now. I think my problem is I always think Hurney is going to go outside the box with a pick but in the end we go with the BPA. I guess my question would be, Can this guy play Will and how well? Hoping we will incorporate more 3-4 looks this next year. I will feel better if we are able to get Worthy, Still, or Jenkins at 40.

You can't hate this pick. You might think that there was a bigger NEED on defense but as far as BPA at a need position this was the best value there. I would have been just as happy with picking Cox but they obviously felt that Kuechly was such a better player that it warranted addressing a position that wasn't as big of a need or they felt that DT isn't as big of a need as ensuring that we don't have guys off the street playing LB again next year.

Great pick IMO. He is a beast. Thank god we did not pick Coples who was widely expected to be our guy. I was thrilled not to hear Coples but Kuchely. Now we have the best LB and RB corps in the league. Perfect!!!

Dont forget about qb

he tackles with his hands too damn much. Kid's got a lot to learn.

516 tackles in 3 years says he's got good hands. And I hear he's pretty good at learnin'.

IMO Davis is the odd man out until he proves he can come back from knee injury #3. The odds are against him.

Claiborne and Barron were the only defensive players taken in the top 8, and I guarantee if either had been the pick, there'd be just as much complaining from some.

from yahoo sports.

My God what have we done..

The Carolina Panthers used their ninth overall pick to bolster their defense, selecting Luke Kuechly, a linebacker from Boston College.

Kuechly's tape leaves you guessing: are you looking at the young Zach Thomas or London Fletcher, or just another middle linebacker who records a ton of tackles because that's what starting middle linebackers do? The devil is in the details, like Kuechly's ability to read blocks or pass route combinations. Diagnostic skills can help a step-slow, pound-light linebacker thrive in the NFL. Kuechly can be very productive in a classic Tampa-2. He can also fly around the field and clean up after the defensive line in a Lions or Eagles type Wide-9 defense, though he would get walloped now and then.

Kuechly's upside is not great. He will never be Brian Urlacher. But the risk level is low. He will learn his role, play special teams as a rookie, and make the plays he is supposed to make. And if his college production is any indicator, a few more. Kuechly is a little better than the NFL comparison player below, but their play styles are similar.

NFL Comparison: Pat Angerer, Indianapolis Colts

Just going off the OP..it said Kuechly lacked ELITE size to go against NFL lineman with very good coverage skillls..sounds like OLB to me. Perfect idea for defending TE's (like someone already pointed out). To me it seems like a Davis replacement.

Luke is instantly our biggest LB....and that is without sniffing a NFL workout program.

Must of taken you hrs to find that less than flattering evaluation.....

Out of curiosity, who wrote that....I noticed you didn't link it

Found it.

Maggie Hendricks isn't a fan huh.....

The mixed martial arts blogger Maggie Hendricks didn't love the pick....

Nice. I see why you didn't link it or post the author.

Archived