• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Saints' Loomis Could Eavesdrop On Opposing Teams.

The_Cannon

Normally this would be a presumption of innocence before guilt... however, given that the organization has blatantly lied to the public and the league on several levels JUST PRIOR to this coming out, the Saints have surrendered their credibility wholesale.

Good luck with the PR nightmare that is about to ensue. After that, good luck with Goodell going soft on you.

Using their recent statements, it's pretty easy to see how the Saints plan to defend themselves against this latest issue;

"Mickey Loomis did not listen to opposing coaches during games. Mickey Loomis isn't even an Xs and Os guy so what good would it have done? Other people were there too and remember the events in vivid detail. They all agree that Mickey Loomis did not listen in on this electronic connection!"

Of course, this defense comes with an implicit prayer that no one in the NFL asks the obvious question...

"So did anyone besides Mickey Loomis listen in on the opposing coaches?"

"Again, we categorically deny that Mickey Loomis listened in on opposing coaches during games."

"We got that part, but did anybody else listen in?"

"For the record, at no time during the entire period this system was active did Mickey Loomis use it for competitive advantage."

“Say the name ‘Mickey Loomis’ one more time and we’ll take your first rounders for the next ten years. Now, did anybody other than Mickey Loomis listen in on this eavesdropping system?”

“Well, ya know…it was a long time ago. Our memories of those days are a little fuzzy…” :unsure:

At heart, it's essentially the Bart Simpson defense (I didn't do it! Nobody saw me do it! You can't prove anything!)

Not sure it's gonna fly though. Yesterday on NFL Live, even perennial nimrod Marcellus Willey showed he understood the situation better than Bill Polian (who's a friend of Loomis) and Mark Schlereth when he pointed out that while being able to hear playcalls might not assist in real time, it could be extremely valuable over the course of a game, especially by the time you got to the fourth quarter.

On a related note, this little tidbit from Michael David Smith (link) could be a sign of impending bad news for the Saints regarding that other scandal.

Goodell told NFL Network’s Rich Eisen in an interview for an upcoming edition of the Rich Eisen Podcast that bounty discipline is coming “soon,” and he dismisses the notion floated by some that the players shouldn’t be punished because they were merely doing what their coach told them to do.

“[The] evidence was clear that the players embraced it,” Goodell said. “I don’t think they are absolved from responsibility.”

probably the only thing that could keep the saints from kicking washington's ass in week 1 is having their season cancelled so you should be on our side bub

Unlike Panther fans i'm not worried about the Saints. Its like yall openly hope that most of their coaching staff and defensive players are kicked out of the league so you can actually compete with them. How lame is that? Sad

some of the hoping they get disbanded and hoping they lose all their starters is a little NCSTATE-ish and pathetic.

I agree there.

Laughing at their predicament and inability to get their name out of the mud is quite hilarious though. There is nothing about laughing at another team's misfortunes with the league and press that labels anyone inferior to them on the field.

some of the hoping they get disbanded and hoping they lose all their starters is a little NCSTATE-ish and pathetic.

I agree there.

Laughing at their predicament and inability to get their name out of the mud is quite hilarious though. There is nothing about laughing at another team's misfortunes with the league and press that labels anyone inferior to them on the field.

this i agree with.

Archived