• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Headed To Australia

TheRealDeal

Lived there for 4 years.

Check out the beaches (esp. Bondi, Bronte, Coogi). It'll be winter there but they're still pretty cool esp the seaside pools. Don't swim anywhere that there are not shark nets.

In Sydney central business district check out the Opera House. At least do the tour and if you can afford it go to a symphony or opera. I'd advise doing a Bridge climb over the Sydney Harbor Bridge (very cool). The AMZ tower is also pretty cool and gives you a nice view of the city. It'll be winter so its Aussie Rules and Rugby season. Rugby is bigger in Sydney. It shouldn't be hard to get a ticket to see the Sydney Swans Aussie Rules team. I'd also advise taking a tour of the Hunter Valley wine country.

Food wise:

Australian food as a whole is crap. They take a lot from the English style of cooking, but there are some interesting things to try. Try a meat pie (Chicken pot pie, but steak or beef instead of chicken). There's a good pie truck in Sydney called "Harry's Cafe de Wheels". Get the Meat Pie with Peas, Mash Potatoes, and Gravy. Simply Awesome. Don't order a steak or hamburger. They'll be unseasoned, overcooked, and dry. That's how the Aussies like them.

Also, the seafood and esp the fruit is awesome. Oysters are in season and try the Bay Bugs (Miniature Crustanceons that taste like Lobster but much cheaper). Calimari is also very good and try the Fish & Chips as well.

Beer isn't expensive (unless you want US beers). I'd advise Victoria Bitter, Carlton Cold, Cooper's Pale Ale, XXXX. They're all good and easy to find. Wine there is awesome. Don't buy anything that you can find in the US. They keep their best stuff in Australia. My favorites are: Penfolds Grange (expensive), Pepperjack Shiraz, Woodstock "The Stocks" Shiraz, Saltram Mambre Brook Chardonnay (best white whine I've ever had), Penfold's Grandfather or Great Grandfather Port. Coffee in Australia means Espresso (AKA Short Black), Latte (AKA Flat White). The best chain for coffee is Cibo. If you want regular coffee, ask for drip coffee, but it won't be very good.

Hope it helps.

Archived