• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sign The Rock Right Now

Fiz

If people don't like wrestling, that's one thing, but when their reasoning is that it's fake, that's when their argument becomes ignorant. If you have ever watched a movie or TV show in your life, it's the same exact thing.

Uh, no it's not. Film actors aren't trying to pass off movies as the real thing. That argument can't be used to justify a sham sporting event.

Uh, no it's not. Film actors aren't trying to pass off movies as the real thing. That argument can't be used to justify a sham sporting event.

Yes it is. It isn't a sham sporting event. Most fans know wrestling isn't real, adult fans anyways. Children think it's real, but it doesn't change the fact that it's entertainment. Movies are entertainment, just as wrestling is. The wrestlers are acting just like the actors in the movies are acting. And while actors have stuntmen for an action sequence, professional wrestlers don't have stuntmen, they are the stuntmen, and they have to perform in one take in front of a live audience without messing up.

Yes it is. It isn't a sham sporting event. Most fans know wrestling isn't real, adult fans anyways. Children think it's real, but it doesn't change the fact that it's entertainment. Movies are entertainment, just as wrestling is. The wrestlers are acting just like the actors in the movies are acting. And while actors have stuntmen for an action sequence, professional wrestlers don't have stuntmen, they are the stuntmen, and they have to perform in one take in front of a live audience without messing up.

I am not saying they aren't athletic and you have to respect that. But the point remains that TV and film actors aren't pretending that what they just filmed is real. Once pro wrestlers drop the pretense that it's real and the "sport" admits that it is just a scripted show for entertainment purposes, the wrestler vs actor argument holds up. That isn't the case right now.

We are all free to watch what we want, but saying wrestling has the same legitimacy as film acting or mainstream sports is a big stretch.

I am not saying they aren't athletic and you have to respect that. But the point remains that TV and film actors aren't pretending that what they just filmed is real. Once pro wrestlers drop the pretense that it's real and the "sport" admits that it is just a scripted show for entertainment purposes, the wrestler vs actor argument holds up. That isn't the case right now.

We are all free to watch what we want, but saying wrestling has the same legitimacy as film acting or mainstream sports is a big stretch.

Dude, there are thousands of shoot interviews done over the years by wrestlers/managers all over youtube. If you aren't familiar with what a shoot interview is, it's where wrestlers talk about the behind the scenes stuff. If they really wanted to pass the business off as real, they wouldn't be having those interviews. It isn't a sport, it's a business. I don't know why you think they're still pretending it's real, maybe if we were in the 80s, early 90s. Those days are over. Wrestlers are all about putting on a show for the fans. It's always been that way really. But just so I understand you correctly, I'd like an example of what you mean by "once wrestlers drop the pretense that it's real and the sport admits that it is just a scripted show". What do you mean by this exactly? A specific example.

Dude, there are thousands of shoot interviews done over the years by wrestlers/managers all over youtube. If you aren't familiar with what a shoot interview is, it's where wrestlers talk about the behind the scenes stuff. If they really wanted to pass the business off as real, they wouldn't be having those interviews. It isn't a sport, it's a business. I don't know why you think they're still pretending it's real, maybe if we were in the 80s, early 90s. Those days are over. Wrestlers are all about putting on a show for the fans. It's always been that way really. But just so I understand you correctly, I'd like an example of what you mean by "once wrestlers drop the pretense that it's real and the sport admits that it is just a scripted show". What do you mean by this exactly? A specific example.

As you've probably guessed by now, no, I haven't watched anything involving wrestling on YouTube. Nor have I watched a full pro wrestling event in many years, so if they have dropped this pretense then fine, you are right.

It may not be for me, but hey, each to their own. And frankly, pro wrestling can't be much worse than some of the sitcoms we have been blessed with over the years.

The Rock says IT DOESN'T MATTER what you think about wrestling! Know your role and shut your mouth!

And at that point Billy, your house started to shake and the heavens opened up, and God himself spoke to you and said this: "Bob..."

"But my name is Billy..."

"IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOUR NAME IS!!"

I am not saying they aren't athletic and you have to respect that. But the point remains that TV and film actors aren't pretending that what they just filmed is real.

Um, yes they do, its called acting. When they are on camera they are acting like what the script tells them to do is real. Hell, some actors, Christian Bale for example, will STAY in character even off camera. It really is NO different. Wrestlers do the same thing, while on camera they're portraying their characters. Its not a hard concept to follow.

With that said tho, I'm still not a fan of wrestling. Rather just watch a traditional scripted drama.

If people don't like wrestling, that's one thing, but when their reasoning is that it's fake, that's when their argument becomes ignorant. If you have ever watched a movie or TV show in your life, it's the same exact thing.

The difference is that I don't watch that same exact episode of "Three's Company" over and over and over again, every day, for the rest of my life.

So kinda not the same exact thing.

Archived