• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Music To Our Ears, Richardson Stock Rising

ctrcat

Even at a devalued position, Richardson’s talent too great to pass up Posted by Michael David Smith on March 27, 2012, 12:15 PM EDT

trentrichardsonlean.jpg?w=250 Reuters

The NFL’s transformation into a passing league has hit running backs hard, both on draft day (the first running off the board went 28th in last year’s first round) and in free agency (veteran running backs haven’t found much of a market for their services this year). But with the NFL draft a month away, Alabama running back Trent Richardson has so much talent that he appears poised to buck the trend of running backs being devalued.

A couple of weeks ago we passed along comments from NFL Network’s Mike Mayock suggesting that Richardson might slip out of the Top 10 because of the low value so many teams place on running backs. But with more time to study the tape, Mayock now says Richardson is simply too talented for more than five or six teams to pass on him

“Boy was I wrong,” Mayock said of suggesting Richardson might get out of the Top 10. “He’s going in the Top 10. Let’s face it, if the two quarterbacks [Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III] go 1-2, and the Vikings are not in the market for a tailback at No. 3 because of Adrian Peterson, this kid is going 4, 5 or 6. He’s the best tailback I’ve seen come out since the aforementioned Adrian Peterson. He brings toughness, he brings speed, he brings pass protection.”

Mayock said that if the Browns pass on Richardson at No. 4, he can’t see why the Bucs would pass on him at No. 5. Mayock said Richardson running behind the Buccaneers’ offensive line in Greg Schiano’s offense could have a big impact as a rookie.

“Trent Richardson might be the best position player in this draft,” Mayock said. “I watched 150 of his carries today. I watched every catch he made on tape today. . . . I watched every pass protection I could find in about a 10-game span, and he might be the best pass-protecting running back in this draft also. So when you talk about toughness and perhaps the best positional player in the entire draft, I think if he is available at No. 5, with that offensive line, they’ve got to pull the trigger.”

And if the Bucs do pull the trigger, they may find themselves with the most talented player in the draft.

This is how Claiborne slips to us. There's an article right now on PFT about the Rams possibly trading up with the Browns to get Blackmon. If that happens it'll allow the Browns to take Ryan Tannehill while still getting some extra picks.

4. Rams (f/CLE): Justin Blackmon, WR

5. Bucs: Trent Richardson, RB

6. Browns (f/STL): Ryan Tannehill, QB

7. Jags: Riley Reiff, OT

8. Dolphins: Quentin Coples, DE/Melvin Ingram, DE - They don't need a CB in any event

9. Panthers: Morris Claiborne, CB

Richardson in the top-6 allows Claiborne to slip to us. Otherwise the Bucs take him.

as mentioned rbs stock have fallen off dramatically and I see the possibility of him falling out of the top ten.To me the new rookie caps favors high paid positions like qb,de and cb. Tampa will not have the disposition of the Talib before the draft.so they will take Claborne.If Cleveland is not sold on McCoy now is the time to pull the trigger.on a qb or trade back to a team that needs a qb. Thats how I see it coming down.

as mentioned rbs stock have fallen off dramatically and I see the possibility of him falling out of the top ten.To me the new rookie caps favors high paid positions like qb,de and cb. Tampa will not have the disposition of the Talib before the draft.so they will take Claborne.If Cleveland is not sold on McCoy now is the time to pull the trigger.on a qb or trade back to a team that needs a qb. Thats how I see it coming down.

I still says that Richardson/Gillmore is a better tandem then Claiborne/Doug Martin Lamar Miller

In fact I do not think there is a RB in this draft that TB could take that could come close to what schiano want to do

I still says that Richardson/Gillmore is a better tandem then Claiborne/Doug Martin Lamar Miller

In fact I do not think there is a RB in this draft that TB could take that could come close to what schiano want to do

Yea that is entirely possible .

Archived