• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cardiaccats Final Mock Draft

CardiacCats

TRADE:Carolina Panthers trade RB Jonathan Stewart to the Cincinnati Bengals for a third round pick (#84 overall).

Trade breakdown: I just think the front office is smarter than to keep three solid running backs when they could have used that money to address a defensive need. Running Back was arguably our strongest position with Stewart and Williams and there was just no need to add one more guy into the rotation. I still think we're gonna wind up trading this pick, the FO knows they can't resign Stewart next offseason and I'm really getting the feeling he would like to be somewhere where he is more of the focal point on offense. Cincinnati really needs a running back and this move makes them contenders in the AFC North.

11-david-decastro.jpg

Round 1: David DeCastro, G, Stanford

If Morris Claiborne happens to fall here, it's a no-brainer but I highly doubt that happens. I still think Tampa Bay takes him and even if they pass I could easily see someone like Dallas trade up to snag him. So assuming he's not here, the Panthers can either reach on a defensive tackle (which I'm not sold on any of them), roll the dice and go with Dre Kirkpatrick or Quinton Coples or just play it safe and take David DeCastro or Luke Kuechly. A lot of you want like this pick because we have a glaring need on defense, but the draft is supposed to be used to build for the next 10 years, not the very next season. DeCastro is being called by some the best guard prospect ever and can start and make an impact from day 1 and will probably make multiple pro bowls throughout his career. No character issues apparently, it's just such a safe and effective pick. The Panthers let Travelle Wharton and Geoff Schwartz walk so guard is certainly a need.

Alfonzo+Dennard+South+Dakota+State+v+Nebraska+pnenSInGLi0l.jpg

Round 2: Alfonzo Denard, CB, Nebraska

I'm praying Stephon Gilmore is available here, but I'm trying to stay realistic here and I highly doubt it happens. Honestly, I would be surprised if he makes it out of the first round. His stock has soared as of late. So this leaves Carolina with their choice of Brandon Thompson and Kendall Reyes (DTs) or Jayron Hosley, Trumaine Johnson, Alfonzo Denard or Harrison Smith (DBs.) The Panthers recently signed Haruki Nakamura who I really think will challenge Sherrod Martin for the FS job so I think that makes CB a bigger need. Jayron Hosley is more a speedy corner while Denard is more of a physical guy. Denard has recently seen his stock drop due to his play as a senior and some character concerns, but I still would be fine with him in the second round. Going into the year he was projected to be a top 15 pick, he also has some injury concerns. You really couldn't go wrong with Hosley or Denard, but after watching film I probably would give the slight edge to Denard.

Joe-Adams.jpg

Round 3 (from Cincinnati): Joe Adams, WR/KR, Arkansas

Getting rid of Stewart frees up room to bring in another young offensive weapon, I really could see this guy being Smitty's replacement. I've been hoping for a while now that we find a way to get this kid, but second round is too early and fourth round would probably be too late, but middle of the third round sounds about right for him. He caught 54 passes for 652 yards and 3 touchdowns as a senior, he also had one of the most incredible punt returns I've ever seen against Tennessee (below.) His first few years I would expect him to be groomed behind Smitty and just be a return guy, but he could be a major steal.

Ever seen Armanti do this?

Emmanuel-Acho.jpg

Round 4: Emmauel Acho, OLB, Texas

It appears as if Thomas Davis will be back, but it's really hard to trust him at this point so we need to have a guy in place if he gets hurt again. He led the 'Horns with 110 tackles, 14.5 for loss, 3 sacks, 6 PDEF and a forced fumble. He's solid across the board and could be a steal here. He had a solid senior bowl and is just a consistent player, he's never gonna be Ray Lewis but he can be a solid player for years and years to come. He also has solid size for an OLB (6'1", 240) and should also be able to make an impact on special teams early on.

6374846529_6f1a898278_z.jpg

Round 5: Nick-Jean Baptiste, NT, Baylor

Everyone raving about Dontari Poe when really, Baptiste almost seems to be the exact same player. He tore up the East-West Shrine game and was a bowling ball, tearing through offensive lines. He has mad potential to be a great clogger and run-stuffer in the future. He's projected to go in rounds 4-5 so if he falls here it would probably be considered a steal, if we really want him we might have to take him in round 4 which wouldn't make a big difference. Baptiste is 6'1", 335 and put up similar numbers as Poe this year against better competition: 36 tackles, 8.5 for loss, 4 sacks. He also broke up three passes and is good at getting his big paws up to bat down passes at the line. I really hope we can snag him.

vince-browne.jpg

Round 6: Vince Browne, DE, Northwestern

We really need to find another defensive end to add into the rotation. No superstar, just a hard-worker that will provide us with solid production, Browne fits that mold perfectly. He has a motor that never stops he's just limited athletically. He had 36 tackles and 3.5 sacks as a senior, again, we just need a guy that can give us solid production and Browne is worth the gamble. He never had much success beating quality offensive tackles off the line so he needs some work.

bryan-anger.jpg

Round 6 (comp.): Bryan Anger, P, Cal

Anger is the consensus top rated punter in the draft, and after cutting Jason Baker punter is something that will probably be addressed late in the NFL draft. He was all-conference three seasons in a row at Cal and has a strong and accurate leg.

Darron+Thomas+Portland+State+v+Oregon+TQIcZwe0kn0l.jpg

Round 7: Darron Thomas, QB, Oregon

The Panthers have stated they want to find a backup for Cam this offseason. Thomas made an idiotic decision to leave Oregon as early as he did, but he fits the system and there would be nothing wrong with taking him in the seventh round. I would rather have Russell Wilson but he won't be available here.

Like it, except for the trade, and the 1st and 2nd picks. No point in trading Stew for a 3rd seeing as we will probably get a 3rd Round Comp pick for him if he was to walk. I like decastro but not at 9, if we get move back to the 14-17 range I would love it. Dennard isn't a great cover corner. Would rather have Robinson, Hosley, or Gillmore.

Nice! I like it

-I really want a DT, but Decastro is the best OG since Hutchinson came out, and I wouldn't mind it at all.

Though, I think we already have enough depth at OL.

-Loves Denard also. People were saying he was the better athlete compare to Amukamara.

-Loves the Adams, Acho, and Anger picks. I don't see why people think drafting a PT is a reach. I mean we have no PT on the roster, unless Cam can punt.

But I think we could atleast get a little more for Stewart. I would be pissed if all we got in return was a 3rd.

First off, I think we could get more for Stewert so not a fan of the trade.

1- Don't think we reach for a Guard at the 9th pick. If we go OL I think Reiff is the better choice.

2- Not sure Dennard fit in our system, think Hosley will fit better but won't be upset if the picked Dennard.

3- Love Adams.... fills our PR/KR need as well as a future quality WR.

4- Another good pick. Need help at LB & this kid could start.

5- Just like you said he has potential. One of the few good player on a poor Baylor defense. Would be a bargain in the 5th

6- Gotta be honest, I donn't know much of him. Will take your word for it. Good pick up if no better DE on the board.

comp- we need a punter. Agree.

7- Not a fan of Thomas but he's good value in 7th round.

Overall a good mock. Nice job.

First two picks, BLEH. The rest of the draft is fine though. I'd be very upset if all we got for Stewart was a 3rd. At least a 2nd, or two 3rds or something to that effect. (That's IF we traded him, I'd hope we don't. I don't think he's nearly so much one foot out the door as most seem to.)

Archived