• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Naked Man Arrersted In Wilmington

Hairless Cat

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) -- Naked and on the run. That's what folks on Forest Hills Drive saw when a man sprinted down the road with no clothes on chasing cars.

"It's not something that happens in the neighborhood very often," witness Bill Poteat said. "Certainly we've never seen that before."

What Poteat saw was a naked man running down Forest Hills Drive.

"I looked in my rear view mirror, and he got up and started running down the street. Obviously I sped up enough so he couldn't catch me," Poteat said.

Poteat says the man, who looked to be in his mid-20s was chasing after cars.

"He was jumping, chasing them, diving into bushes," Poteat said." Supposedly he broke into two houses down the block. They found his clothes behind one of the houses."

Police caught the man around 2 p.m.

"Situations like this can be dangerous, and that's why it requires a lot of officers out there and detain the individual," Wilmington Police spokesman Cpl. Kevin Smith said.

Poteat says he was told the man had taken several hits of acid.

"I think that was the general determination by the officers at the scene that it may be drug-involved or drug-induced," Smith said.

Police took the man to New Hanover Regional Medical Center for an exam.

"It's a contrast of comedy and tragedy," Poteat said. "It's unfortunate to see someone behave that way. Of course he was on the influence of some illegal drugs."

Police say because of privacy issues, they cannot release the man's name until he is medically cleared and booked into jail. They say they will likely charge him with felony trespassing, misdemeanor breaking and entering, and hinder and delay.

Archived