• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Saints in BIG trouble...

CatMan72

here's another beautiful effect to think about in all this...what is going to happen to the saints lockerroom.

who is the snitch? who ratted them out? are they going to spend the offseason paranoid that the guy in the locker next to them is the rat?

really good read from PFW comparing this situation to goodfellas...

Saints case filled with not-so-good fellas

Early in Martin Scorsese's classic 1990 movie Goodfellas, mobster Jimmy Conway sits down young Henry Hill to teach him an important life lesson. Hill has just survived the first of several court cases he will face during his long career in the business of crime, and Conway — played by Robert DeNiro — is proud of his teenage disciple. As he slips a wad of cash into Hill's pocket — which Conway calls a "graduation present" for completing that part of a mafia education — he offers some words of wisdom that will stay with Hill, played by Ray Liotta, forever.

"I'm not mad, I'm proud of you," Conway says. "You took your first pinch like a man and you learn two great things in your life: Never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut."

As strange as it sounds, being on an NFL roster is similar in many ways to being in organized crime. It is a closed community, one that admits only select members, and those inside the community walls live a life that few can imagine. The life is rough and extravagant, all at the same time, and the attention received by those involved often can be too much to handle. There are tremendous ups and brutal downs in both careers, and the life expectancy of those involved in both fields is noticeably shorter than the national average.

The similarities continue when examining Conway's words in that early scene of the film. Like the mob, loyalty and tight lips are requirements for those in that NFL community. Players are never supposed to throw teammates or coaches under the bus, blame others for their failures or disclose any information that is to remain confidential. What is said in players-only meetings is expected to remain with players only, although unlike the mob, there rarely are worries about somebody wearing a wire inside the closed doors of the locker room.

more

article goes on to say that some football players from other teams, while condemning the bounties, are angry that a player would turn on their team like that.

the mental giants over on saintsreport are coming up with all kinds of realistic contingency plans

Sign Peyton Manning. Trade Drew Brees. draft RG3 play him at wideout/QB. Sign Mario Williams. Sign Randy Moss and throw it to him 1/6th of the time. Put a bounty on Brees for whichever team he goes to. Trade Jeff Duncan for a more reasonable reporter. Finally, sue the NFL for slander and witch hunting.

Sign Peyton Manning. Trade Drew Brees. draft RG3 play him at wideout/QB. Sign Mario Williams. Sign Randy Moss and throw it to him 1/6th of the time. Put a bounty on Brees for whichever team he goes to. Trade Jeff Duncan for a more reasonable reporter. Finally, sue the NFL for slander and witch hunting.

The sad part is Tom Benson probably posted this.

PFT had some great quotes from a Rams LB on bounties.

“I just can’t sit there and be silent,” Poppinga told Alex Marvez of FOXSports.com. “I look at this as an opportunity to share with the public that we, as football players, are not barbaric and out to try and destroy everything in our path. Football is my profession and I take it seriously. It’s an art form. It’s technical, strategic and takes a lot of intelligence to play. When this came out, it started to confirm the idea that football guys are idiots. That’s not who we are. Ninety-five percent of the guys are very intelligent. It’s just guys who love to go out and play a physical game.”

Poppinga said he doesn’t like the message that the bounty scandal sends.

“It’s a huge problem in society not knowing how to compete with the right perspective,” Poppinga said.

“If they’re not going to want me on the team because of that, that’s fine,” Poppinga said.

Archived