• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Saints in BIG trouble...

CatMan72

Ask yourself this:

Would the commissioner oversee an investigation that included the review of over 18,000 pages worth of documents and then publish an official press release announcing the results of the investigation along with the discussion of specific (and very incriminating) details if he didn't plan on severely punishing the Saints?

The whole purpose of the press release is to make sure folks understand just how badly the Saints screwed up, before he drops the hammer on them.

Pretty sure the moment Goodell threatens to suck the pennies out their pockets is when they'll retract every statement said.

Lol, yea. Just read Chris Harris and Darin Gantt's twitter conversation. Then check out conversation between players. After reading through, the players aren't surprised about bounties for injuring players and taking them out of games. Which makes me think it's pretty prevalent around the league. I'm pretty sure Every team had something similar running on getting small bonuses for knocking players out of games and other big plays.

Ask yourself this:

Would the commissioner oversee an investigation that included the review of over 18,000 pages worth of documents and then publish an official press release announcing the results of the investigation along with the discussion of specific (and very incriminating) details if he didn't plan on severely punishing the Saints?

The whole purpose of the press release is to make sure folks understand just how badly the Saints screwed up, before he drops the hammer on them.

No doubt, I think they get the full fine. "CBA only allows a certain fine for this. 3.5-4 million team fine, 250k for player's or coaches involved and 2 draft picks taken.

My question is this..

With the NFL players fighting back against the league on this, multiple players and teams coming out and admitting this is common. How do they fine just the Saints and not get in some deep PR trouble.

BTW, I find it funny that Sharper would attempt to deny the Saints were out to hurt anybody after his "X marks the spot" comment in reference to Farve's ankle heading into that playoff game a few years back.

LMAO, I completely forgot about that comment. haha, still he did what he's supposed to do. Deny everything in public. lol

No doubt, I think they get the full fine. "CBA only allows a certain fine for this. 3.5-4 million team fine, 250k for player's or coaches involved and 2 draft picks taken.

My question is this..

With the NFL players fighting back against the league on this, multiple players and teams coming out and admitting this is common. How do they fine just the Saints and not get in some deep PR trouble.

That's the whole purpose of the press release, to make sure folks understand exactly how bad the Saints violations were and how high up they went in the organization, before they drop the hammer on them.

If the players honestly don't mind this, then I don't want to hear any more of this crap about how they need bigger pensions and better post-retirement medical care.

If you're a current player, you're in a bit of a conundrum honestly.

You speak angrily about it and it turns out someone on your team did it, you're screwed.

You speak too critically of it and there's the chance people label you a crybaby who doesn't like getting hit. And if you're one of the guys who took a hit, people claim sour grapes.

That said, Steve Smith - a guy who likely doesn't give am airborne rodent's rectum what others say - has spoken out. So has Adrian Peterson, and I imagine they won't be alone.

Retired guys like Boomer Esaiason have ripped it as well, even though others have taken the "that's football" approach (possibly for image reasons as much as anything).

One thing the current guys may want to consider though: I'm pretty sure Roger Goodell doesn't want to hear this "everybody does it" talk. They could find themselves called to the Principal's office to answer the question "Really? Like who?"

My question is this..

The same way the NCAA did it with SMU knowing good & damn well every major (& a poo ton of minor) football program payed their players. They bitch slap the Saints so hard that at the very least, the other teams will take great care to keep their shenanigans quiet.

Then they have a benchmark for other teams that step out of line. Plus they have a card to play for the media about how concerned they are about player safety.

In all honesty, as far as the NFL goes, the bounty isn't the Saints crime. Like I mentioned up thread about my getting caught drinking in high school, their crimes isn't so much doing it as being so stupid they got caught. For the love of Madden the morons left a paper trail!

The same way the NCAA did it with SMU knowing good & damn well every major (& a poo ton of minor) football program payed their players. They bitch slap the Saints so hard that at the very least, the other teams will take great care to keep their shenanigans quiet.

Then they have a benchmark for other teams that step out of line. Plus they have a card to play for the media about how concerned they are about player safety.

In all honesty, as far as the NFL goes, the bounty isn't the Saints crime. Like I mentioned up thread about my getting caught drinking in high school, their crimes isn't so much doing it as being so stupid they got caught. For the love of Madden the morons left a paper trail!

Yea, that was pretty damn stupid. lmao

For those looking for the Saints Report discussion... (link)

For the moment, we're ahead of them, 611 posts to 556 (though they do have other threads).

Biggest laugh for me so far, the guy who said "Move it, brah. This ledge is taken" :lol:

Most delusional? "I see this as a non-story" :skep:

Archived