• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

CardiacCats Post-Combine Mock

CardiacCats

I know, I've done 574289298 of these but this is my second to last one. I'm doing one now and one the week of the draft.

5525138.jpg

Round 1-Michael Brockers-DT-LSU

A lot of people on the Huddle have been jumping on the Poe bandwagon lately, and there's no doubt the kid was impressive during the combine. I was a little disappointed in Brockers, but a few drills certainly aren't a reason to put a guy who was a border-line first round pick all the way into the top-10 now. Yeah, Poe ran 4 tenths of a second faster than Brockers and did a few more reps, that doesn't mean he's better. I'm looking for production and Brockers produced at a way higher level against much better competition this season. Also, Brockers is still growing a bit... he's yet to completely fill out his frame. When he does, look out... he's going to be a stud. Hype Poe all you want but unless something big happens Brockers will still be considered by everyone the best DT in the draft. In my eyes he's still the best too.

136387956.jpg?uuid=_cHpWDatEeGB7-ryvQnIog

Round 2-Jayron Hosley-CB-Virginia Tech

I was really high on Hosley headed into the combine and he really performed solid today, especially running a 4.3 40 yard dash. I think he would be an outstanding complement to Gamble and give us a legit #2 corner. This way, Gamble can be the number 1, Hosley the 2, Munnerlyn nickel and Darius Butler at the 4. That's a solid core of defensive backs. Heck, maybe he could possibly return punts too. He's a really solid-looking kid and would be a great addition to our defense.

tumblr_lcavmyk3Ot1qczihz.jpg

Round 4-Brandon Washington-G-Miami

Travelle Wharton could be gone and we have a need at guard anyways as I doubt Hangartner will return. Washington played left tackle at Miami as a junior, but spent the two years prior playing guard where he will be playing in the NFL. He was an all-ACC selection as a sophomore and should certainly be able to start immediately. Really good size for a guard and nice mobility, he's one of my favorite guard prospects in this draft.

CWCPKAHJOPDNELI.20111031211850.jpg

Round 5-Steven Johnson-OLB-Kansas

It looks like Thomas Davis will get one more season but we need to have a legit backup ready in-case he goes down again. We'll probably resign Jordan Senn but even if we do we could use an upgrade at outside linebacker. In his senior season Johnson recorded 120 tackles, 6 for loss and 1 INT as a senior with the Jayhawks. Not really a beast off the edge but he is a sure-tackler nonetheless and at the very least will give good production on special teams, could be a steal though.

134105142_extra_large.jpg

Round 6-Brandon Lindsey-DE-Pittsburgh

This guy is not gonna come in and be a starter day 1 or anything, but it would be a really good value pick if he made it to the sixth round. Greg Hardy is a decent defensive end, but we have no one else to really rotate in aside of him and CJ. Lindsey has nice speed coming off the edge but he needs to get stronger, it would be a nice gamble here regardless. He had 54 tackles, 11 tfl, and 8.5 sacks as a senior.

janzen_jackson.jpg

Round 7-Janzen Jackson-FS-McNeese State

As far as pure talent goes, Jackson could be a top-3 safety in this draft. He was a stud at Tennessee as a freshman and some were even comparing him to Eric Berry who is one of the best young players in the league. As a sophomore he had 69 tackles, 5 picks, and 6 pass deflections. He then got kicked out of Tennessee pretty much and played in 2011 at McNeesee State. Dude has a world of potential if he can clean up his act, he's CERTAINLY worth a risk in the 7th round.

Round 7 (comp.)-Whoever we feel the best punter available is.

I like all the picks except Brockers, though I don't see anyway Janzen Jackson is realistic for two reasons. First, he won't be there in the seventh. He was beyond solid in the combine. Posted a 4.57, which isn't great, but also is far from terrible for a safety. More importantly, he annihilated the coverage drills. He was so fluid in the hips, and reacts to the ball so well, going up and attacking it at it's highest point. Second, he was arrested for armed robbery, while Jerry Richardson has lightened his stance on having guys with a little baggage, that is more then a "little" baggage. I just don't see him chancing it, even for a late round safety. Trust me I would love Janzen Jackson (even more so in the seventh), but I just don't see it happening. A team like the Patriots, Packers, or Cowboys will take a chance on a playmaking DB in the fifth or so....

Guest Bwood15

Love Jayron Hosley. Hate Brockers.

Brandon Washington will not last to the 4th, and I really don't like Janzen Jackson as much after a very, very poor combine.

I LOVE THIS DRAFT!

too badd for the BROCKERS HATERS, but Brockers have a better chance being a panthers at 9th than Poe.

im having a feeling will trade back into the first to get a cb like hosley or LB.

First of all, there is no DT worth the #9 pick. Not Brockers, not Poe, and certainly not Still or Worthy. Second, if Hurney trades back into the first, as it will likely cost him a first, in a draft that is so deep at DB....well I hope it's the last draft he's part of. NO MORTGAGING THE FUTURE ANYMORE!!!

First of all' date=' there is no DT worth the #9 pick. Not Brockers, not Poe, and certainly not Still or Worthy. Second, if Hurney trades back into the first, as it will likely cost him a first, in a draft that is so deep at DB....well I hope it's the last draft he's part of. NO MORTGAGING THE FUTURE ANYMORE!!![/quote']

well thank you for the education .

If theres no dt worth 9th than what? kirkpatrick? OL? why OL when we need so much help on D. only other scenario is trade back and take dl in the 20s then. its not that easy to trade the 9th. only player that is worth at 9th is if Claiborne fall to us.

i never said they were. i said i have a feeling. if theres a top notch cb or lb (zach brown, hightower, denard, gillmore) there that falls into the first that hurney , rivera really like im sure they would.

well thank you for the education .

If theres no dt worth 9th than what? kirkpatrick? OL? why OL when we need so much help on D. only other scenario is trade back and take dl in the 20s then.

I think all Panthers fans should be hoping Ryan Tannehill blows up at his pro day, and a team like....let's say Seattle feels the need to move up and get him. Or even better, a team like Cincinnati feels like Trent Richardson is their missing piece on offense. No it's not easy to trade, but it's a possibility. Also, no good comes from reaching for a guy in the top ten. When you're in the top ten you can't be going need, especially when we have so many holes. It would be one thing if we were a piece or two away from becoming a Super Bowl contender, but unfortunately that's not the case. We need a DT, #2 CB, S, possibly a DE, and then on offense we need depth on the line (if not an outright starter at ROT), as well as a potential #1 receiver waiting in the wings when Smitty retires.

That's a TON of holes. Now Cam will help to mask some of the holes, but he can't mask them all. So taking a guy who might not even be the best at his position, and from all accounts looks to be the exact opposite of what we've heard of him (strong, and extremely athletic) doesn't seem like a wise move at #9. I would much rather take a guy who already looks like he can be a starter and an impact player for 10 or more years like Martin, and anchor the right side of the offensive line if Otah can't be that guy. If Otah shows he's over his injuries, then you have insurance when Gross' performance drops off.

i never said they were. i said i have a feeling. if theres a top notch cb or lb (zach brown, hightower, denard, gillmore) there that falls into the first that hurney , rivera really like im sure they would.

That would be a HUGE mistake. That is why we're still looking for so many impact players on defense. Trading future first round picks to pick up guys like Otah, Everette Brown, and the second we sent for Armanti has significantly limited our ability to get impact players in the draft. Yes, there are gems in every round, but many of the impact players are gone by the end of round two. How nice would Michael Oher, Vontae Davis, or Hakeem Nicks look on this team. That's just 2009. In 2010 we missed out on guys like Dez Bryant and Devin McCourty. Then last year we could have had Ras-I Dowling, DaQuan Bowers, Torrey Smith, or Randall Cobb. Sorry but mortgaging the future doesn't make matters better, it makes your team worse with zero depth...

Anybody who said poe didn't do much to impress, didn't watch.

I'm not talking about the bench press (damn he's strong though).

I'm not talking about his 40 time (DAMN he's quick though!).

Most impressive were the drills that showed how quick his feet are. How nimble he is. How his hips are not stiff.

He can play either tackle position in the 43. He can be the nose in the 34.

Didn't our head coach say he wants to run both?

Cause i don't see the tackle on our roster that can do that.

He can play the run, and rush the passer.

Blue chip player.

Lot of people writting poe off.

I won't cry if we don't get poe....but that is the guy i'd love to see in the middle of the panthers defensive line.

Archived