• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Breaking down the 2012 LB class - Insider

JawnyBlaze

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/story/_/id/7598756/scouts-inc-breaks-linebacker-class-heading-2012-nfl-combine

Instincts/recognition

Prepares in film room and is equipped with opponent's tendencies on game day. Reads keys, diagnoses information quickly and reacts naturally. Disciplined but not robotic. Understands role within the scheme and does not leave the unit vulnerable because of selfishness. Avoids false steps and biting on play-action. Has a nose for the football and makes important plays.

Top ILBs

1. Luke Kuechly, Boston College*

2. Dont'a Hightower, Alabama*

3. Bobby Wagner, Utah State

Top OLBs

1. Sean Spence, Miami (Fla.)

2. Courtney Upshaw, Alabama

3. Terrell Manning, NC State*

Take-on skills

Willing to step up and take on blockers. Plays with a wide base and is capable of holding ground at the point of attack. Hands and arms are powerful and violent enough to disengage from blocks quickly. Shows ability to sink hips and uncoil. Can use either shoulder to take on blocks. Sacrifices body to make plays.

Top ILBs

1. Kuechly

2. Hightower

3. Audie Cole, NC State

Top OLBs

1. Upshaw

2. Darius Fleming, Notre Dame

3. Steven Johnson, Kansas

Range versus run

Fast and quick enough to chase running backs down from behind and make plays from sideline to sideline. Consistently takes sound pursuit angles. Use hands and quick feet to slip blocks and sift through traffic quickly.

Top ILBs

1. Kuechly

2. Vontaze Burfict, Arizona State

3. Wagner

Top OLBs

1. Zach Brown, North Carolina

2. Spence

3. Lavonte David, Nebraska

Tackling

Good body control and breaks down in space. Keeps head up when closing on the ball carrier and wraps up on contact. Shows explosive initial power and drives legs through contact. The great ones can stop a ball carrier's forward momentum (especially in short-yardage/goal-line situations) and flash the ability to jar the ball loose.

Top ILBs

1. Kuechly

2. Hightower

3. Wagner

Top OLBs

1. Upshaw

2. Nigel Bradham, Florida State

3. Ronnell Lewis, Oklahoma

Third-down capabilities

Third-down capabilities vary depending on position and scheme. Generally speaking, linebackers who are required to cover frequently must have fluid hips and the ability to blanket running backs and/or tight ends one-on-one. Above-average range and closing speed in zone coverage. Good ball skills and can make plays in coverage. Times blitzes well and quickly finds creases in protection. Avoids bigger blockers with array of pass-rush moves. Strong upper body and uses hands to get off blocks when reached. Above-average closing burst to the quarterback.

Top ILBs

1. Kuechly

2. Burfict

3. Mychal Kendricks, Cal

Top OLBs

1. Upshaw

2.Lewis

3. Bruce Irvin, West Virginia

I expect ZB to run in the 4.5 range. I'm a huge UNC fan, but I've learned that the 40 times that come out of CH are bullshit. Tar Heels routinely run 0.15 - 0.20 slower at the Combine than they are reported to run at UNC. There were reports that ZB ran sub-4.3 early in his career at UNC. Does anyone actually believe that?

I'll be happy with anything sub-4.5 and THRILLED with anything sub-4.45.

I want Keuchly. Don't even care if it isn't a need. I have fallen in love watching this dude, and hearing all the good stuff about him. He will be a stud LB in the NFL.

Sure, if he falls to the 2nd round...would rather not spend a #9 overall on a player that's going to sit behind Beason for most of his career.

I'd love to get Demario Davis around the 4th or 5th. Looks like he'd be a ST monster to start his career and could turn into a REAL solid LB.

Also, I'm a bit surprised Burfict wasn't on the tackling list. Sure he's got his problems, but the video I've seen on him makes him look like the surest and hardest tackler in this draft.

Archived