• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Breaking down the 2012 DB class - Insider

JawnyBlaze

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/story/_/id/7598757/scouts-inc-breaks-defensive-back-prospects-heading-2012-nfl-combine

Instincts/recognition

Prepares well and takes advantage of opponent's tendencies. Reads keys, diagnoses information and reacts quickly. Shows above-average route-recognition skills and tracks the ball well. Has "selective amnesia" and does not allow negative play(s) to snowball into a negative series/quarter/game. Stays disciplined. Understands role and consistently executes assignment. Is rarely caught peeking into the backfield and stays home against play-action.

Top cornerbacks

1. Casey Hayward, Vanderbilt

2. Chase Minnifield, Virginia

3. Dre Kirkpatrick, Alabama

Top safeties

1. Mark Barron, Alabama

2. Harrison Smith, Notre Dame

3. Phillip Thomas, Syracuse

Cover skills

Fluid hips, can change directions quickly and mirror receivers one-on-one. Seamlessly reacts to double moves and recovers from false steps. Smooth flipping hips when asked to turn and run with receivers on vertical routes. Quickness and speed are at a premium in the defensive backfield. Upper-echelon defensive backs typically run the short shuttle in 4.20 seconds or faster, the three-cone drill in 7.1 seconds or faster and the 40-yard dash in 4.49 seconds or faster.

Top cornerbacks

1. Janoris Jenkins, North Alabama

2. Morris Claiborne, LSU

3. Dwight Bentley, Louisiana Lafayette

Top safeties

1. Janzen Jackson, McNeese State

2. Thomas

3. George Iloka, Boise State

Ball skills

Attacks the ball and doesn't wait for it to arrive. Stays focused and looks the ball in. Extends arms and snatches the ball out of the air with hands. Long arms, height, leaping ability and/or body control to compete in jump-ball situations.

Top cornerbacks

1. Claiborne

2. Trumaine Johnson, Montana

3. Josh Norman, Coastal Carolina

Top safeties

1. Barron

2. Jackson

3. Thomas

Run support

Doesn't shy away from contact and fills hard when reading run. Shows sound gap discipline and pursuit angles. Can slip or shed blocks quickly in space. Reliable open-field tackler who breaks down, shows good body control and wraps up in space. Willing to take on bigger backs and flashes the ability to deliver the big hit.

Top cornerbacks

1. De'Quan Menzie, Alabama

2. Kirkpatrick

3. Robert Blanton, Notre Dame

Top safeties

1. Smith

2. Barron

3. Winston Guy, Kentucky

I've always wanted Casey Hayward. I think he's hugely underrated going against SEC talent every game he's got a ton of picks even though people avoid throwing his way due to Vandy being pretty terrible besides him on defense. Getting him in the 4th would be a steal imo, but it depends on what's done above him.

I've always wanted Casey Hayward. I think he's hugely underrated going against SEC talent every game he's got a ton of picks even though people avoid throwing his way due to Vandy being pretty terrible besides him on defense. Getting him in the 4th would be a steal imo, but it depends on what's done above him.

You beat me to it. I'be been on that bandwagon for a while. I think he had a solid combine and was able to cement his status. Really hoping we can pick him up somehow.

Archived