• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

CardiacCats Mock 6.0

CardiacCats

Version 1- http://www.carolinahuddle.com/forum/the-nfl-draft/72895-cardiaccats-panthers-7-round-mock-edition-1-a.html

Version 2- http://www.carolinahuddle.com/forum/the-nfl-draft/75255-cardiaccats-7-round-panthers-mock-v-2-0-a.html

Version 3- http://www.carolinahuddle.com/forum/the-nfl-draft/75913-cardiaccats-7-round-panthers-mock-v-3-0-a.html

Version 4- http://www.carolinahuddle.com/forum/the-nfl-draft/76280-cardiaccats-7-round-panthers-mock-v-4-0-a.html

Version 5- http://www.carolinahuddle.com/forum/the-nfl-draft/76797-cardiaccats-7-round-panthers-mock-v-5-0-w-trade.html#post3561451

I love writing these, and it's been a while since I've posted my last one so here is a new one.

JonathanMartin_original.jpg?1325102148

Round 1- Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford

I like Riley Reiff better than Martin, but I doubt he would be there at 8 and if Miami wins the coin toss, it's very unlikely he would survive to 9. There's barely a difference between the two though, both seem like safe prospects. Jonathan Martin's strength is in the run game, we could start him at out right tackle then move him to left tackle when Gross begins to decline. I just see Martin a safer pick than Brockers, Jenkins, Kirkpatrick, etc. Like I saw someone say on here, you're building for the next 10 years....not next year. I think Brockers is a high risk/high reward while Martin is more of a low risk/high reward guy. I used to be really opposed to drafting an offensive player in round 1, but unless Claiborne or Coples happens to fall offensive tackle could be the safest way to go.

andrebranchclemsonvmarylandud7fnmpn_zul.jpg

Round 2- Andre Branch, DE, Clemson

I struggled for the longest time deciding who to mock here. While CB and DT are bigger needs, if a guy like Branch who would be a first round pick in most drafts is sitting around early in the second, you don't pass on him. Branch is an absolute beast as he had 77 tackles, 17 for loss, and 10.5 sacks as a senior. Pairing him with Johnson is a scary thought, with these two guys you wouldn't need really strong corners or defensive tackles, they would be putting enough pressure on opposing quarterbacks to force a lot of hurried and bad throws. I like Branch better than any DT or CB that would be available.

JN2_8026.JPG

Round 4- Cameron Chism, CB, Maryland

Finally we address one of our bigger needs by taking another CB here in round 4. I really like Chism, at 5'10" 190 he can hit like a safety and he has nice 4.4 speed. Pairing him with Brandon Hogan and we have some nice young corners and hopefully one will step up in camp and give us a legit #2 guy. Chism was one of the few bright spots for Maryland this year as he finished the year with 47 tackles, 3 picks, and 2 tackles for loss. This is a REALLY strong corner class and Chism would probably be a round 3 pick in most drafts, I would love adding him in round 4.

20111119_clemson_ncstate_1sthalf74_t607.JPG

Round 5- George Bryan, TE, NC State

Even if we bring Shockey back (which btw, it has to be a must) I would love for us to add another tight end late. A guy Shockey can take under his wing and groom to be a tough, hard-nosed football player. I have loved George Bryan for a few years now, I never knew why NC State didn't center their offense more around him. He runs good routes and has sure hands, he's also a great blocker. As a senior he had 33 catches, 331 yards and 4 TDs. I would love to bring in a guy like this who Shockey could take under his wing and load us up with another tight end threat for years to come.

5860779.bin?size=620x400s

Round 6- Akiem Hicks, DT/NT, Regina University (Canada)

A lot of posters aren't going to be happy about waiting until round 6 to address defensive tackle, and that's understandable. Some people, myself included, are being too tough on Fua and McClain however. Normally it takes defensive tackles 2-4 years to fully develop, we can't give up on them yet. Besides, Ron Edwards will be back next year and guys like Shirley, Neblett, and Kearse were all solid late in the season last year. Adding Hicks gives us another youngster in the rotation and that would give us about 5 guys who all can continue rotating out with each other and provide us with good enough play to win games. Again, when you have defensive ends like CJ, Hardy, and Branch your defensive tackles don't have to be great. Meanwhile, Hicks is finally making an appearance on draft boards and has been nothing but impressive so far, could be a steal. 6'4", 324....he is HUGEEE.

lsut24_asb_13838_t607.jpg

Round 7- Janzen Jackson, FS, McNeese State

If Jackson wasn't an idiot he would be a first round pick one day, the problem? He's an idiot. Jackson showed nothing but signs of greatness at Tennessee, starting ever since his freshman year. They were even calling him "the next Eric Berry." As a sophomore he had 69 tackles and 5 interceptions, but in the offseason was dismissed for multiple off the field incidents. This past year he played at McNeese State where he obviously didn't want to be, but he still managed 31 tackles, 5 deflections, and 2 interceptions. We need to draft Jackson but put him on a VERY short leash. One mistake and he's done, but he is a high risk but could come with a VERY HIGH reward. I honestly like him better than most all the safety prospects in this draft, his potential is absolutely insane.

20101106-54114P5X6_original_display_image.jpg?1314602422

Round 7 (comp.)- Ryan Stahovich, P, San Diego State

We should have a compensatory pick and I don't have a preference on who, but it needs to be a punter. Whoever we have ranked the best punter available, take him. Jason Baker sucks and has to go, Stahovich averaged 43.4 yards per punt this season.

Undrafted Free Agents to Sign

-Scatback RB-Preferably Jeff Demps if he doesn't get drafted, he would be great.

-Jarrett Lee, QB, LSU-Dude just won games at LSU. Good game manager with decent mobility, with proper coaching he could be a solid Chase Daniel-like backup.

-Whoever we think could be good on defense.

I don't want to sound mean but I can honestly say that this is not a very good or well thought out mock draft. But mock drafts are retarded in general so yeah.

He gives a rational explanation for each pick. You give no reasons why it was not thought out.

You were not sounding mean, you were sounding ignorant.

Archived