• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Can the Blue Jays keep up in the AL East?

panthersphan

Say hello to the 1st place Toronto Blue Jays :D

Hey let me enjoy it!!! I want to hear from non-Jays fans...though I doubt many of you have watched the Jays this year...

With Cito back under the helm, the Jays are a totally different club offensively. Instead of getting deep in counts and being over-selective (the mindset under Tosca and Gibbons) Cito preaches being aggressive. Not to mention the confidence that he brings to players, he's truly a very underrated manager, which I think is due to the fact that he was stacked w/ names in the championship days...it's going to be a long season, but IF the rotation can hold their own (anchored by Halladay) then the Jays could get interesting this year.

It's funny how things change, last year everyone (even the Boston Herald) was picking the Jays to make some noise in, even the Boston Herald had the Jays winning the AL East....then the "Devil Rays" and their fans (oh wait, they have no fans) had to come along and ruin everything Now we lost AJ Burnett and every picks us to finish last...I guess they didn't put into perspective the fact that we brought up #6 pick in 05 Ricky Romero (2-0 1.71 era), we still have the Best Pitcher In Baseball in Roy, we got Aaron Hill back from his post-concussion syndrome (very talented 2B), added an up-and-coming stud in Travis Snider (hit 2 HR in one game last week, 3 overall, one of 4 players ever to hit 5 RBIs in one game before his 21st birthday, Alex Rodriguez, Andruw Jones and Ken Griffey Jr) and brought back everyone from the #1 Bullpen from 2008....the Jays have a very capable line-up....especially under Cito.

Don't forget, no team has beat the Boston Red Sox more than the Jays in the last 4 years...

I'm probably the lone Jays fan here...but Let's Go Jays!!!

Say hello to the 1st place Toronto Blue Jays :D

Hey let me enjoy it!!! I want to hear from non-Jays fans...though I doubt many of you have watched the Jays this year...

With Cito back under the helm, the Jays are a totally different club offensively. Instead of getting deep in counts and being over-selective (the mindset under Tosca and Gibbons) Cito preaches being aggressive. Not to mention the confidence that he brings to players, he's truly a very underrated manager, which I think is due to the fact that he was stacked w/ names in the championship days...it's going to be a long season, but IF the rotation can hold their own (anchored by Halladay) then the Jays could get interesting this year.

It's funny how things change, last year everyone (even the Boston Herald) was picking the Jays to make some noise in, even the Boston Herald had the Jays winning the AL East....then the "Devil Rays" and their fans (oh wait, they have no fans) had to come along and ruin everything Now we lost AJ Burnett and every picks us to finish last...I guess they didn't put into perspective the fact that we brought up #6 pick in 05 Ricky Romero (2-0 1.71 era), we still have the Best Pitcher In Baseball in Roy, we got Aaron Hill back from his post-concussion syndrome (very talented 2B), added an up-and-coming stud in Travis Snider (hit 2 HR in one game last week, 3 overall, one of 4 players ever to hit 5 RBIs in one game before his 21st birthday, Alex Rodriguez, Andruw Jones and Ken Griffey Jr) and brought back everyone from the #1 Bullpen from 2008....the Jays have a very capable line-up....especially under Cito.

Don't forget, no team has beat the Boston Red Sox more than the Jays in the last 4 years...

I'm probably the lone Jays fan here...but Let's Go Jays!!!

True, the Jays have been a much different team, and if you put them in almost ANY other division, I would love their chances. Hopefully they can, but with the firepower in the east, I just don't see it. The Red Sox and Rays will be up there. Hopefully the Yankees will stick at the bottom :)

"and if you put them in almost ANY other division, I would love their chances"

Sad but true...Oh if only we were in the AL Central...

Tough loss tonight, w/ Doc on the mound taboot. 5-4 to the Rangers, 1 out-bottom 8-bases juiced down by 1 and got nothing...though Barajas put some good wood on the ball just right to 3B...then Snider swung at the first pitch. He needs to settle down a bit, he can't expect to do Everything just yet...Kid has some fire in him!! Then left Aaron out on 2nd after he belted a ball down the left field line for a 1 out double in the 9th...Gotta be able to win those games, but it's due, we've won all of those games until tonight...

Rios needs to get his head out of his ass...

sitting at 10-5, and the Yanks had to go on and win....it's going to be a loooooooong season...let's hope the Jays can keep it interesting...as of now we're 1.5 games up in the AL Beast, only 147 games to go :biggrin5:

The AL Central is not some weak sister division.

Small sample size, but last I checked the White Sox just returned from kicking the crap out of the mighty Rays.

To answer the OP, I don't expect to see the Jays atop the division come September, but Spring is the time for hope.

Just look at last year, who had the Rays going all the way?

I'd like to see somebody besides the Yankees and Red Sox.

Right, but they represented your favorite division last year in the WS and got their ass handed to them in that WS AND just lost 3 out of four to the White Sox at that crappy dome.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but as a baseball fan you SHOULD understand that baseball is a funny game. Spending the most money and receiving the most press coverage from the Extra Sexual Party Network does NOT mean you are in fact "the best".

Since 2001 I see 3 losses by your division in the big game. You can take that as a positive, since they were THERE, or you can say that just means you are the first loser.

I see 2 champions from your division, the same team. The BoSox.

I also see a champ from the AL Central, a champ from the NL Central, and 2 champs from the NL east. One from the NL West and one from the AL West.

These results tell me what every good baseball fan knows. You can get a pretty good handle of who is good in each division. But once October rolls around.....you just don't know. The field gets leveled, and whomever is pitching lights out, has the most solid bullpen, and gets those quirky timely hits usually emerges as champion.

I think you are hanging your hat on the "arms race" between Boston and NY assuring your division the crown as the "toughest and best".

I say that is not necessarily true.

"I think you are hanging your hat on the "arms race" between Boston and NY assuring your division the crown as the "toughest and best"."

Yea...says the 13-5 Blue Jays!!

Jays win 14-0 tonight...White Sox who?

With the Sox/Yanks/Jays/Rays...what division is better? Not the AL West, or Central...Not the NL West or central...maybe the NL East...maybe...

As for the Wild Card...last year won by Boston...2nd was the Yanks, 3rd Twins, 4th Jays.

AL Wild Card:

2008 - Boston (Yanks 2nd, Jays 4th)

2007 - New York (Jays 4th)

2006 - Detroit (Jays 4th)

2005 - Boston

2004 - Boston

2003 - Boston (Jays 3rd)

Since 1985, an AL East team has been represented in the AL Championship Series 18/23 times (78%)

Since 1992, an AL East team has won the world series 8 times (50%)

Just sayin...

I like the Jays, they keep my Sox honest and humble. Consider them the Jiminy Cricket of the division.

No team has beat the Red Sox more since the beginning of 2007 than the Jays :D

I'll be at the Jays/Sox series @ Fenway in May!!! Can't wait, never been to a game at Fenway.

Hidden

As for the Wild Card...last year won by Boston...2nd was the Yanks, 3rd Twins, 4th Jays.

AL Wild Card:

2008 - Boston (Yanks 2nd, Jays 4th)

2007 - New York (Jays 4th)

2006 - Detroit (Jays 4th)

2005 - Boston

2004 - Boston

2003 - Boston (Jays 3rd)

Since 1985, an AL East team has been represented in the AL Championship Series 18/23 times (78%)

Since 1992, an AL East team has won the world series 8 times (50%)

Just sayin...

Hidden

I like the Jays, they keep my Sox honest and humble. Consider them the Jiminy Cricket of the division.

No team has beat the Red Sox more since the beginning of 2007 than the Jays :D

I'll be at the Jays/Sox series @ Fenway in May!!! Can't wait, never been to a game at Fenway.

Archived