• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Should we get Alshon Jeffrey in the 5th round??

teeray

Yup, Lattimore is a beast... gonna be a beast in the NFL if he can get that knee healthy.

Terrible situation there...freak injury during a play he wasn't directly involved in. Haven't heard any updates, but Lattimore was certainly the #1 RB in the nation coming into 2011. If he's healthy this year he'll be right back in it.

Dwayne Jarrett also had:

School records

No prior character concerns

Desire to work (ESPN ran a special on Jarrett about how good his work ethic was)

In college, Dwayne Jarrett was also:

A great receiver without a lot of true speed.

Amazing at going up and catching the ball.

Unable to create a lot of separation.

Not to mention he was a projected 1st rounder until he ran a 40 time that resembled that of an offensive lineman.

See any similarities?

Did this in the SEC

Jarrett couldn't do it against the pac-10 .. try again.

and for catman if you'd like .. you can go watch him do it against half the huddles love affair kirkpatrick if you wish .. it's all there to see.. I don't have to be a gamecock fan to point it out. He isn't double covered every game because they're scared of him though don't worry ;)

I begin to wonder why everyone is leaving out Sidney Rice in this equation .. he came out with the same crap and his NFL career other than the injuries has been very good.

Point is, Alshon is slow like Jarrett but he got away with that in college because he could overwhelm DB's with his size... it's not going to work that way in the NFL.

Rice is slow too. Johnson is also slow. Nobody expects a rookie to light the world on fire but to say that they can't at any point based on nothing more than a comparison to another player that didn't that looks similar is foolish IMO.

Nobody had to run a story on jeffery to know of his character. USCW Had to force it down everybodys throats for Jarrett.

I would honestly be surprised if we see him change from now till 10 years later.. I feel he will still be that same guy based on everything i've seen since signing day. The man has been tested many times with the media trying to get him to call out garcia for his pooty play. He always placed the blame on himself even after he caught for a tad under 200 yards.

The tape is there of him staying after practice to catch passes when nobody else was. All the while .. acting just like Larry Fitz / Andre Johnson etc. had not a word to say other than good win for the team or that sucks that we lost we will get better.

That is the kind of player you build a team around.

Did this in the SEC

Jarrett couldn't do it against the pac-10 .. try again.

and for catman if you'd like .. you can go watch him do it against half the huddles love affair kirkpatrick if you wish .. it's all there to see.. I don't have to be a gamecock fan to point it out. He isn't double covered every game because they're scared of him though don't worry ;)

I begin to wonder why everyone is leaving out Sidney Rice in this equation .. he came out with the same crap and his NFL career other than the injuries has been very good.

No, he doesn't really. He does a good job of using his body to shield the defender when catching the ball, but he doesn't really do a good job of creating separation. Not what you would expect out of a 1st round pick anyways.

By the way, college football is college football. There are just as many scrub DB's in the PAC-10/12/whatever as there are in the SEC. Same with the elite prospects. The biggest perceived difference comes from the quality of coaching the teams receive and the infatuation of the media with the SEC. And there's nothing anyone can say that is going to convince me otherwise.

I'm not saying Alshon won't work for it, I'm saying I don't think he has the goods to be a successful NFL WR for many of the same reasons that DJ was a beast in college and couldn't hack it in the NFL.

It's all just opinions and speculation until we see him actually play in the NFL.

No, he doesn't really. He does a good job of using his body to shield the defender when catching the ball, but he doesn't really do a good job of creating separation. Not what you would expect out of a 1st round pick anyways.

By the way, college football is college football. There are just as many scrub DB's in the PAC-10/12/whatever as there are in the SEC. Same with the elite prospects. The biggest perceived difference comes from the quality of coaching the teams receive and the infatuation of the media with the SEC. And there's nothing anyone can say that is going to convince me otherwise.

My perception is .. Defense is played in the SEC .. you won't see better defenses anywhere else IMO and typically those that are ranked higher if any .. all are in the south east somewhere (typically a team from florida) . That is why I state that as a big deal. And if you noticed he gets yards after the catch too. He has what you would call sneaky speed.

You can argue about the quality of the DB's in the SEC vs. the Pac 10 but Jarrett wasn't playing against scrubs.

Well we also forget another reason why it took jarrett so long to get on the field as a panther.. He had that whole IQ thing going .. couldn't remember the playbook and all that jazz either.

Archived