• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

walter's 2007 re-draft

JawnyBlaze

If only it wasn't a flash in the pan for Hurney and he could do that regularly.

This thread has been made before:

http://www.walterfootball.com/nfldrafthistory.php

2002-2006

Interestingly, the player the Panthers actually took in each of his re-mocks was already taken when the Panthers were up except the year T. Davis was drafted, and he stuck with that pick. Shows some pretty good drafting.

Apparently, he does do it with regularity.

People who whine about Hurney's draft picks get no respect from me. They simply don't realize how inexact drafting is, and how good we have it compared to so many other franchises. Hurney's one of the best GMs in the league, period.

Hurney should draft nothing but pro bowlers, then we'd end up with a bunch of balding middle aged white guys, and lonely middle aged females.

People who whine about Hurney's draft picks get no respect from me. They simply don't realize how inexact drafting is, and how good we have it compared to so many other franchises. Hurney's one of the best GMs in the league, period.

i'm sorry but I can't believe that. if that were true we would make the playoffs far more than we do.

yes he hits homeruns in the first round and does great at finding late round talent, specifically on the O-line.

but you can't win by draft alone. you need to fill holes with FA, something we didn't do until this past season.

07 was his best draft by far, but since then, he has made some really, really, really stupid moves on draft day.

I have no problem with his 1st round picks, but when he traded up to get otah, all hell broke loose. he kept trying to compensate for not having a 1st rounder for 2 years and it kept biting us in the ass. then the peppers fiasco, and don't even get me started on the jimmy situation...

at least we have cam now so he doesn't look like a total tard.

basically what i'm saying is he has been good, but he isn't the best by any means. I would personally call him below average, but that's just my opinion.

i'm sorry but I can't believe that. if that were true we would make the playoffs far more than we do.

yes he hits homeruns in the first round and does great at finding late round talent, specifically on the O-line.

but you can't win by draft alone. you need to fill holes with FA, something we didn't do until this past season.

07 was his best draft by far, but since then, he has made some really, really, really stupid moves on draft day.

I have no problem with his 1st round picks, but when he traded up to get otah, all hell broke loose. he kept trying to compensate for not having a 1st rounder for 2 years and it kept biting us in the ass. then the peppers fiasco, and don't even get me started on the jimmy situation...

at least we have cam now so he doesn't look like a total tard.

basically what i'm saying is he has been good, but he isn't the best by any means. I would personally call him below average, but that's just my opinion.

I didn't call him the best, but he's easily top five or ten in a league of thirty-two.

General managers have far, far less to do with winning and playoff appearances than you imagine. Look at the Chargers: they continually draft players that end up leaving the team and excelling elsewhere. That's not on A.J. Smith, that's on the team as a whole.

Otah is excellent when healthy (which you can't predict) just like Davis, and Peppers simply didn't want to be here anymore. We're never going to be big in free agency because it's much more of a hit-or-miss market than drafting a talented player and molding him into your system vs. shoehorning someone from the outside.

Finally, Hurney works very much in tandem with the coaching staff to try to provide players that they need. A miss like Clausen happened because we were trying to fulfill a perceived need. It didn't work out, and he did his due diligence on Cam to correct it rather than pretending that his gamble wasn't a bust.

Hurney is a great GM, and I will say again that those that complain about him lose credibility in my eyes.

Archived