• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

5 yard penalty or a timeout?

fitty76

Yea, I think in this case it was 3rd and 5. 3rd and 10 is MUCH more difficult than 3rd and 5, and possession of the ball is more important than a timeout. In this case, they took the timeout and got a false start on the next play anyway and had to do 3rd and 10, luckily they were able to get the 1st down this time.

Why do QBs constantly call timeouts when they're in danger of a delay of game penalty? Aren't timeouts (especially in the 2nd half) more important? 5 yards is nothing in the NFL. Take the penalty, keep the timeouts.

They do it because that is how they are coached up and 90% of the time it is the right call.

You guys are just stuck in old conventional wisdom. What if that game came down to a final drive and the Giants only had 1 TO because Eli didn't want to get a 5 yard penalty? Have you guys been watching the NFL over the last 5 years? 5 yards is practically nothing with all the passing that is going on nowadays.

You guys are just stuck in old conventional wisdom. What if that game came down to a final drive and the Giants only had 1 TO because Eli didn't want to get a 5 yard penalty? Have you guys been watching the NFL over the last 5 years? 5 yards is practically nothing with all the passing that is going on nowadays.

It's situational. Personally, I haven't noticed a rampancy of poor TO calling to avoid delay of game penalties in key spots, but maybe I'm missing something.

I think most would agree that was a bad TO, and if the Giants had gone on to lose, it would've been hyper-analyzed. Eli would be losing his yellow jacket, and Coughlin would be "on the hot seat" in NY again by mid-season.

One thing I will give Eli credit for. (He deserves a lot of credit in the game!)

Was that he took the 2 sacks rather than try and force a throw. Most QB's, especially young ones, would have tried to pass the ball and risk an interception, rather than taking the sack.

Those 2 sacks on the first drive were HUGE and could have easily been an INT!

You kind of know the Giants were just toying with the Pats. When the Giants Defense were coming off the field before their last drive. They all had a smile on thair face. Like they were saying, "Hey Pats, it's the 4 QTR and now it's Eli's time! Bend over and take it like a man!"

One thing I will give Eli credit for. (He deserves a lot of credit in the game!)

Was that he took the 2 sacks rather than try and force a throw. Most QB's, especially young ones, would have tried to pass the ball and risk an interception, rather than taking the sack.

Those 2 sacks on the first drive were HUGE and could have easily been an INT!

You kind of know the Giants were just toying with the Pats. When the Giants Defense were coming off the field before their last drive. They all had a smile on thair face. Like they were saying, "Hey Pats, it's the 4 QTR and now it's Eli's time! Bend over and take it like a man!"

There was a good reason for that. They knew the Pats couldn't strike quickly, and they knew they could score and chew up clock.

If these teams met 10 times it ends up the same way 8 times out of 10. It's no accident the Giants end up with the game winning drive every time, they control the ball over 60% of the game. It happened in 07 under similar circumstances, in Foxboro during the regular season, and again last Sunday.

Basically, the Pats have to play a perfect game to beat the Giants. The Giants just have to play well.

Archived