• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

College student transitioning into the real world rant

neverlosethefeeling

WTF do you do with a "Liberal Arts" degree?

I worked my butt off to get a degree in Manufacturing Engineering! (Also studied here and there on a Law degree. Like the world needed one more lawyer!)

I guess if you are somewhat talented artist you could seek employment as an illustrator? Or maybe an Arts Teacher. IDK.

WTF do you do with a "Liberal Arts" degree?

I worked my butt off to get a degree in Manufacturing Engineering! (Also studied here and there on a Law degree. Like the world needed one more lawyer!)

I guess if you are somewhat talented artist you could seek employment as an illustrator? Or maybe an Arts Teacher. IDK.

Liberal Arts includes things that aren't art. History, Political Science, English, Architecture, Psychology, Sociology, and a lot of other degrees are Liberal Arts. Economics is also a BA degree.

I have a liberal arts degree (history) and I'm doing just fine. Just got my own office yesterday. Now I can fart in my chair instead of having to crop dust the hallway. Life is good.

at least you're getting calls

I'm getting nothing back. no calls, no e-mails, nothing. so at least you have that going for you

Have you posted your resume on any of the job search websites? I haven't gotten a single response from a company I've actually applied to, only recruiters who found my resume on a website.

Go cut your teeth on printer/copier sales. You don't have to make it a career but they will teach you a lot and those skills translate into bigger/better jobs.

I always wanted to work for Dunder Mifflin, so this might not be a bad alternative.

Have you posted your resume on any of the job search websites? I haven't gotten a single response from a company I've actually applied to, only recruiters who found my resume on a website.

No just the career services website here (which has a catalog of jobs and such) and through some people I know (and on LinkedIn). Haven't thought about that possibility really.

No just the career services website here (which has a catalog of jobs and such) and through some people I know (and on LinkedIn). Haven't thought about that possibility really.

It definitely isn't a bad idea. And I hope that if you decide to, it produces better results for you than it has for me.

Mistake 1: Liberal Arts degree.

Mistake 2: Not putting enough effort into nepotism.

I don't regret my degree.

I am discovering, however, that it really is about who you know. I've sort of been forced to abandon the illusion of merit. Luckily, I have been able to take advantage of some familial ties. Nothing has panned out just yet, but I'm hopeful.

Archived