• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Help Me Out Here (Re: Gettis)

YourManInAmsterdam

Not to take anything away from Gettis' double move on Clements, but Clements is not a very good cb... I dont understand why everyone keeps calling him a good CB.

Not many CBs are very good once they get past 30. He made the pro bowl in '04, but he's obviously past his prime.

Guest Bwood15

Any guy who has that sort of size and speed and was able to put up some decent numbers with St. Pierre and Clausen at QB definitely has more credibility to become a solid receiver than anyone in the draft does.

He's a 6-4, 220 and is probably the fastest guy on the team in Pads. (He's been clocked as fast as 4.39 while at Baylor while running track and field) Also he showed quite a bit of flash considering the QB situation and everything that season.

It was a legitimate question, and this is the best answer. The same could/can be said for Troy Williamson. Gettis was known as a body catcher in college, and resorts to that at times. He has big play capability, but has he shown he can routinely move the chains? Lafell is better in that department.

If Smith goes down or hits the wall, we will see how good Gettis is.

Of course, the knee is untested.

I think we are hoping he develops and Lafell continues his improvement. Is this the year to bring in a WR? Not unless we take a #1. We have good #2 WRs. I have seen Kendall and Jeffrey in the second round. I would take one of these, but nobody else.

Smitty is good outside, but in the slot he would be angry.

It was a legitimate question, and this is the best answer. The same could/can be said for Troy Williamson. Gettis was known as a body catcher in college, and resorts to that at times. He has big play capability, but has he shown he can routinely move the chains? Lafell is better in that department.

Gettis- 24 of his 37 catches in 2010 were for first downs. Compare that to LaFell where 23 of his 36 catches were for first downs arguably with a better quarterback. Used 2011 stats for LaFell since they were better.

Tell me again how LaFell was better in that department??

People around here are high on Gettis because we are panther fans.

He has great talent but he is over hyped around here for the fact that we have no idea how he will come back. Ever since Otah and TD every time someone gets injured I never bet on them. Except Beason but that is because Beason has been good even with crappy teams.

So from a realistic non homerish standpoint there is really no big reason to count on him. People act like it's when smitty got injured and we just waited to have him back. Everything you can possible say about Gettis refers to his potential and what he can become. If he is injury prone he can't become anything. I just have a feeling poeple around here expect him to walk in and take over #1 while we move smitty to the slot. These are the highs and the lows of the huddle though.

High expectations now, flaming/cut threads comes when they aren't met.

Be exited he is returning but don't give your hopes up. I am exited jut because our offense really doesn't need much work and he is just another potential weapon.

It is the Potential he brings to the table.

Like Razor said, his speed basically means he has to be double covered. You double Gettis, and chances are you are man to man with everyone else. It also opens the rest of the field, because there are fewer defenders, and we have the weapons to exploit that.

Another big asset is he is an athlete. I love how smooth he is for his size. He never looks out of control. I think it also showed with how he improved through the year in regards to his pass catching ability.

Lastly, he has a feel for the game. He does not play like the game is too big for him. He always seems to be able to put himself in the right spot/position to make a play. It may seem simple, but it is a skill that many players never develop.

Add it all up and it spells POTENTIAL. Fans have a hard time tempering their excitement over players like this. And in this case, I am right with them. This guy has Beast written alll over him.

Another notch on my giddy. And GOOOOO CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

People around here are high on Gettis because we are panther fans.

He has great talent but he is over hyped around here for the fact that we have no idea how he will come back. Ever since Otah and TD every time someone gets injured I never bet on them. Except Beason but that is because Beason has been good even with crappy teams.

So from a realistic non homerish standpoint there is really no big reason to count on him. People act like it's when smitty got injured and we just waited to have him back. Everything you can possible say about Gettis refers to his potential and what he can become. If he is injury prone he can't become anything. I just have a feeling poeple around here expect him to walk in and take over #1 while we move smitty to the slot. These are the highs and the lows of the huddle though.

High expectations now, flaming/cut threads comes when they aren't met.

Be exited he is returning but don't give your hopes up. I am exited jut because our offense really doesn't need much work and he is just another potential weapon.

Just because your giddy is low, does not mean you have to drain mine. You are a fan. You have nothing to lose by letting yourself get excited by Gettis returning. You will not lose sleep, weight, your job, or anything by getting excited.

This is what being a fan is about. Getting excited about the upcoming season. If you cannot do that. I ask you, why even care?

I abhor people that say it is only a game. NO, Monopoly is a game. Football is a sport, a competition. Winner take all. Loosers need not apply. If you cannot invest in your football team. What can you invest in? The book club? Meats of the world?

Give me a break with these I will wait until I see before I invest my emotions people. Get on the field, or go home.

Dammm liberals. And GOOOOO CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

People are optimistic about him because of what the offense has already done. In previous years, there is always that receiver people peg as the one who comes to save the offense next year. That isn't the case anymore. Our offense doesn't need saving, it's pretty damn good without Gettis, especially in its first year together.

People are optimistic because it stretches defenses. Gettis did decently well considering his rookie situation, he'll face even better match ups in this offense. Gettis is the type that makes a downfield passing offenses succesful.

lastly, people saw Brandon Lafell show good development for a second year player in a new system. Considering Lafell and Gettis were about the same level as rookie, people think Gettis can improve similarly.

Your post should read why aren't we MORE excited about D Gettis. Yes he has potential from a size/speed standpoint...but his stats placed right at the top with all the rookie receivers in his class. He played better than Lafell with Sweet Jimmy and that other garbage we had at QB. He also was spending last offseason working out with Cam in FL. He's gonna have a great year.

So I've read all the responses, and I think I'm starting to get a feel for things, now.

So, here's the conclusion I take away.

Untested Potential.

That is to say that the guy is exceptional physical specimen coupling size/speed. If coached well and takes to said coaching well, he could very well be dangerous as hell.

Couple that with our special (and highly improved) brand of "you really don't know what we're going to do next, do ya" offense, and you may have yet another large-caliber pistol in your brace.

But his rawness, a year away from the game, and his recovery from injury/surgery are all question marks that can't be ignored. LaFell has had a year to learn and shine which may cause him eclipse Gettis depending on the outcome of training camp.

It will be interesting to watch, for sure.

Thanks for the responses (at least those that weren't just lame or insulting) folks!

Archived