• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

CardiacCats Top-5 Players on the Panthers Draft Board, Pre-Combine

CardiacCats

65896_Auburn_LSU_Football.jpg

1-Michael Brockers-DT-6'6", 305

It was a bit of a surprise when Louisiana State sophomore Michael Brockers declared to go to the draft after his redshirt sophomore season, but I doubt the Panthers front office is frowning. The Panthers still have a huge hole at defensive tackle, I highly doubt Sione Fua and Terrell McClain will ever be better then solid rotational guys, we need a productive starting defensive tackle for years to come, Brockers can be that guy. He'll be picked in the top-20, but had he stayed another year he could of been a top-5 pick, the sky is the limit. He has tremendous upside but is still a bit raw, he had 54 tackles, 9.5 for loss and 2.0 sacks as a sophomore. Right now, I think he should be #1 on our draft board, taking him in the top-10 could be a reach but it would still make a ton of sense.

Whitney-Mercilus.jpg

2-Whitney Mercilus-DE-Illinois-6'4", 265

I'm starting to fall in love with Mercilus, I think he is the best defensive lineman in the draft. Although the need isn't as great at defensive end, he still deserves a look with our first round pick, whether we trade back or stay at 8/9. Almost every website has Coples ranked higher than Mercilus and I don't get it. Coples seems like a brat that obviously takes plays off and pads stats against inferior opponents while Mercilus is ready to go every down. He has great hands and an explosive first step, he may need to bulk up a bit to reach his full potential. As a junior, Mercilus registered 57 tackles, 22.5 for loss, 16 sacks and 9 forced fumbles... his stats blow Coples out of the water, he also played better competition. He also can be our sack-master in our 3-4 formations that we run every now and again. Coming out of college he reminds me of Jason Pierre-Paul who is an arising star in New York. Paul had questions about being underweight and being a one-year wonder also out of USF, not to mention Mercilus college stats are way better than JPP's. He also is faster and stronger than JPP was out of college.

112311_Still.jpg

3-Devon Still-DT-Penn State-6'5", 310

I would only take Still if we trade back, which I doubt happens but it's possible. I think Brockers is the much better prospects right now, but you never know what's going to happen at the combine and who's going to impress in interviews. After all the drama in Happy Valley this year, Still seemed to be the glue that held that Penn State team together and they about earned a birth to the Big 10 championship game. Some say "Still has already reached his full potential" but I don't get that. Yes, I like Brockers better but how the hell do you know if a guy has already maxed out as far as potential goes? Anyways, as a senior Still registered 55 tackles, 17 TFL, and 4.5 sacks.

Janoris-Jenkins.jpg

4-Janoris Jenkins-CB-North Alabama-5'10", 183

In a way, I'm glad Kirkpatrick got busted for marijuana which lowered his stock. I've always thought as far as pure talent goes Jenkins is the second best corner in the draft. Despite his small stature, Jenkins has incredible hops and while at Florida, guys like A.J. Green and Julio Jones had trouble finding any kind of success against him. He seems to have a swagger to him that gets into opposing player's heads, just watching some of his film I love the way he carries himself, countless times he would bat down a ball, get up and gator chomp right in a players face. I love stuff like that. However, Jenkins has also gotten busted with drug charges which led to him getting kicked out of Florida, hopefully he got himself turned around at North Alabama, I never heard anything bad of him. He would have been a top-15 pick had he gone out last year, and I wouldn't mind taking him 8/9 to tell the truth, but the only way he is a Panther is if we trade down probably.

JonathanMartin_original.jpg?1325102148

5-Jonathan Martin-OT-Stanford-6'6", 305

I don't like the idea of going offense and highly doubt we will, but if we're unable to trade back (very likely) and there isn't a defensive player at 8/9 we're in love with, I could easily see us taking Jonathan Martin or Riley Reiff. Unlike most scouts, I actually like Martin better. He's spent the past few years blocking for Andrew Luck who obviously has had tons of success. We have A LOT invested in Cam Newton and we can't afford him getting hurt, also Gross isn't getting any younger and you can tell his play is starting to decline a bit. If you take Martin then you can officially end the Otah experiment and there's a chance we could trade Otah and pick up another 4th round pick or so. Otah was a VERY good player, just lazy and obviously injury-prone.

Possible Trades:

-Seattle trades up to 8/9 for Ryan Tannehill, gives us their #12 and 2nd or third round pick.

-DREAM: Trent Richardson falls to 8/9, Cincinnati falls in love with him, gives us #17 and #21 to move up to #8. With #17 you can go Still/Brockers (whoever is left) or Marcelius if he is also there. #21, Janoris Jenkins.

-New England loves a guy at 8/9, gives us #27 and #31/32 plus probably another 5th rounder or so. Trading with New England never seems to turn out well though.

Archived