• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

With all the talk about Cam "moping"

TheRealDeal

The Golden Calf of Bristol didn't have 6 turnovers by fumble. Only 2 were lost. Those are not turnovers.

So his turnover ratio is 8/393 =2.03%

Turnover ratio 2.03%(top 10 in the league)>>>>>>>>>>>>>2.95%(which is bottom of the league).

And more importantly when you combined the two together, it gives you their actual contribution to winning:

The Golden Calf of Bristol: 18-8 TD/Int ratio = 2.25 ratio

Cam: 35-19 TD/Int ratio = 1.85 ratio

Cam would have needed 45TD's to make up for his mistakes. The Golden Calf of Bristol was setting league records prior to his 3 game skid in this department, and after counting his playoff game, I believe he's back in top 10 in the league right now, even with the 3 bad games.

New guy bringing the noise

Got it.

The Golden Calf of Bristol had a bad game.

How does that relate to this season's worth of data on Cam?

:cheers2:

Not sure to be honest with you, LOL

How did we end up talking about The Golden Calf of Bristol?

Anyways, would be interesting to perform a similar analysis of some of the elite QB's in the NFL to see how interceptions affect them.

The Golden Calf of Bristol didn't have 6 turnovers by fumble. Only 2 were lost. Those are not turnovers.

Turnover ratio 2.03%(top 10 in the league)>>>>>>>>>>>>>2.95%(which is bottom of the league).

And more importantly when you combined the two together, it gives you their actual contribution to winning:

Cam would have needed 45TD's to make up for his mistakes. The Golden Calf of Bristol was setting league records prior to his 3 game skid in this department, and after counting his playoff game, I believe he's back in top 10 in the league right now, even with the 3 bad games.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/24000/career;_ylt=Ap_tNeAyjm6GDXF0ZsFMg.v.uLYF

Please note under the column "fumbles" for the 2011-12 season the number "13" is listed under Fum and the number "6" is listed under FumL.

Now, you tell me... what would you think "FumL" means?

thought I'd check out some numbers to see if there was anything to it.

I decided comparing Cam's numbers from the start of the game until he threw his first interception, thinking that was some adversity he'd have to overcome, and compare those to the numbers for after that interception.

Here goes:

Before:

180/284 63.4% 2,330 yards 8.2 ypa 17 TDs 0 Int 24 sacks 109.04 rating

Picks:

0/9

After:

130/224 58.0% 1,721 yards 7.7 ypa 4 TDs 8 Int 11 sacks 73.53 rating.

Some interesting weeks:

Week 2:

Before:

11/16 68.8% 157 yards 9.8 ypa 1 TD 0 Int 1 sack 121.09 rating

After 1st pick:

17/29 58.6% 275 yards 9.5ypa 0 TD 2 Int 3 sack 61.71

Week 4:

Before: 2/5 40% 29 yards 5.8 ypa 59.58 rating

After first Int:

25/40 62.5% 345 yards 8.6 ypa 1 TD 0 Int 0 Sack 98.44 rating

He threw early picks in week 4, 5, 11, 17 and bounced back strong in 2 of those 4.

He had some games where he threw picks and played well after, others where he played terrible after. On the whole, it looks like he got a little more conservative after throwing his first pick of a game with his ypa dropping .5 yards, his comp percentage dropping 5% and his TD to Int ratio becoming negative.

Like I said, some games he battled back, other games he didn't throw any, and some he struggled after. To what the cause is, we'll never know, but it's something to keep an eye on.

Started readng this until about have way through when my brain started to bleed. Maybe its the rum and coke.

Bolded is completely false.

That stat does not give you their actual contribution toward winning.....leaves out there yardage production, play on 3rd down, individual ability to move their offense downfield, 3 and outs, etc. All of those other things factor into there individual contribution to a team.....

Cam may of had some picks....The Golden Calf of Bristol also imploded that offense for majority of games. Your stat doesn't factor that in

But your facts are wrong.....The Golden Calf of Bristol has 13 fumbles and lost 6....Cams numbers are better

Good work on the stats, I'd just point out, as the other guy said(too lazy to go back and quote), since the pre-interception stats by definition cannot include INTs, they're skewed positive somewhat. Also, I would think the Panthers were more often trailing after the first interception, so that could hurt passing stats as opposing teams focus on stopping the pass. I'd like to see the same analysis done for other QBs in order to get a sense of how Cam compares but my gut reaction is that this is probably above average as post-first-INT stats go. Still, interesting analysis and not something I'd thought of before.

On a sort of related note, Cam seemed to be very streaky to me this season, like he would have several good drives in a row, followed by several 3 and outs. Not sure that would really correlate with interceptions, but I wonder if anyone has looked statistically at that and if he was more or less prone than the average QB to hot and cold streaks.

Bolded is completely false.

That stat does not give you their actual contribution toward winning.....leaves out there yardage production, play on 3rd down, individual ability to move their offense downfield, 3 and outs, etc. All of those other things factor into there individual contribution to a team.....

Cam may of had some picks....The Golden Calf of Bristol also imploded that offense for majority of games. Your stat doesn't factor that in

But your facts are wrong.....The Golden Calf of Bristol has 13 fumbles and lost 6....Cams numbers are better

Facts please not opinion.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/den/denver-broncos

This says he has 6 fumbles and 2 lost. Where are you getting your numbers from?

And I was only responding to the calculations the orginal poster made.

If you're going to look at td% and int % then that's simply the two ratios between the two categories combined. Yards and completion % indicate work and effort. It's all great, but lets not act like Cam Newton didn't benefit tremendously by being allowed to run a lot of those TD's in at the goal line. In the end though, points are the results. Points, interceptions and turnovers directly impact the chances of winning a football game. A completed pass, completion %, a good yard average doesn't. Touchdowns and interceptions do. That's what matters in the end. Completion % and yardage is your contribution to effort.

You don't get extra credit for needing 3 drives, 200 yards and 12 completions to score a touchdown except in yards section of record books, not when it comes to winning. You don't get more credit for putting in more effort for the same result. Good for you, but in the end you just worked harder than the guy that got the same result. Nobody cares about it, if in the end you make more mistakes to cost your team a win.

Results speak for themselves.

Facts please not opinion.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/den/denver-broncos

This says he has 6 fumbles and 2 lost. Where are you getting your numbers from?

And I was only responding to the calculations the orginal poster made.

If you're going to look at td% and int % then that's simply the two ratios between the two categories combined. Yards and completion % indicate work and effort. It's all great, but lets not act like Cam Newton didn't benefit tremendously by being allowed to run a lot of those TD's in at the goal line. In the end though, points are the results. Points, interceptions and turnovers directly impact the chances of winning a football game. A completed pass, completion %, a good yard average doesn't. Touchdowns and interceptions do. That's what matters in the end. Completion % and yardage is your contribution to effort.

You don't get extra credit for needing 3 drives, 200 yards and 12 completions to score a touchdown except in yards section of record books, not when it comes to winning. You don't get more credit for putting in more effort for the same result. Good for you, but in the end you just worked harder than the guy that got the same result. Nobody cares about it, if in the end you make more mistakes to cost your team a win.

Results speak for themselves.

Not facts.

http://www.nfl.com/player/timtebow/497135/profile

13 fumbles, 6 lost. He lost a fumble in his last 5 straight games to finish the reg season

And again, The Golden Calf of Bristol imploding for 3 quarters putting a bigger strain on his D going 3 and out and having the offense do NOTHING......isn't him aiding the team.

Cam did more....bc he had to. The Golden Calf of Bristol could do very little in terms of moving the offense except for 1 quarter bc his D and ST were significantly better. This isn't a team comparison....it is an individual one. Cam moved his offense all year......was at the top of the league in 80+ yard TD drives, redzone TD efficiency, converting more first downs than any RB in the NFL, etc....those things matter when looking at what a player does to help his team. The Golden Calf of Bristol's team simply did significantly more to help him win.

Archived