• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

With all the talk about Cam "moping"

TheRealDeal

There's an inherent problem with these stats, in that since one of them is his stats before his first interception of a game, it doesn't leave room for any interceptions. Obviously his rating is going to be better if you only look at the part of the game before he has interceptions and compare it to the rest of the game. And obviously the TD/Int ratio is going to be perfect in one and not as good in the other.

Basically I'm not sure what this is supposed to tell us.

they guy is 22 years young

If you are the competitive type you understand how people can be overly hard on themselves, especially young guys.

One of the hardest lessons in life for guys like that is how to convert the internal criticism into fuel for the next fight. He's mature beyond his years in that respect, but still has a ways to go.

It's gonna be fun to watch him figure it out

Guy doesn't like to lose. And he is 22. This year most of the games were on his shoulders. If Cam wasn't at QB, there is no chance. So when he costs the team by throwing interceptions or going 3 and out, pretty understandable that he would be angered by it.

You have to look at Cam and this season as what it was, and not try and nitpick. Rookie season. Rookie.

Did Newton struggle at times handling adversity? Yes. Did he let a pick affect his performance the next time the offense got the ball? At times yes.

I don't know why people would be upset when posters point it out or feel a need to defend him about it. It happened. It was one of the areas folks thought would be an issue as he progressed through his rookie year after having so much success in college.

He was a rookie starting in the NFL for the first time. It was natural for him not to do everything well at unprecedented levels. He is human after all despite the superman comparisons.

I also don't think it was a big deal or something that needs to be watched. The players have noticed it, Rivera has made mention of it as has Newton himself. One of the things Newton has shown a remarkable ability to do is evaluate his performance and immediately show improvement in those areas where he needs to correct issues.

Next year he won't be a rookie and will be seen as a leader and expected to lead the team off and on the field. He won't get a pass because of no offseason and will be expected to show better fourth quarter come from behind ability.

So far he has exceeded every challenge and outshined every expectation. I have confidence in him to continue to do so, as he has up to now.

people who talk about Cam moping are people who should not be taken seriously, or listened to at all.

that is the dumbest shot I have ever heard any pundit or fan ever mention about a player

Actually Rivera used the term a couple of his times in his press conferences in the past several weeks and was one of the first to point it out.

Just sayin.............................

next year, instead of moping....Cam Newton can go get in people's faces.....say more to teammates.....and have different channels for the "moping".

No complaints thus far on Newton. Exceeded expectations across the board. Sure he has things to work on but he is suppose to have them.

There's an inherent problem with these stats, in that since one of them is his stats before his first interception of a game, it doesn't leave room for any interceptions. Obviously his rating is going to be better if you only look at the part of the game before he has interceptions and compare it to the rest of the game. And obviously the TD/Int ratio is going to be perfect in one and not as good in the other.

Basically I'm not sure what this is supposed to tell us.

You don't understand the process I went through. His first pick in each game is not counted in the "After" stats as I said before. Therefor, he could have thrown one pick a game and not let it make his rating or TD/Int ratio go down. As you can see in the first post, his first pick in a game is on it's own line and he's 0/9.

It says something that after that first pick, he only threw 4 TDs. Going from a TD every 17 throws to a TD every 56 throws with a pretty similar sample size of before and after.

I think you need to ask questions rather than jump to conclusions about the process.

your stats only tell us how cam did before and after his picks ( and assumed moping because of the picks)

what they dont address is how the picks and moping effected the offense and rest of the team in general

No, I didn't assume moping. Others have commented that he mopes after interceptions and I wanted to see if his play was different as a result. Obviously there are other factors, but for a basic look, it shows some interesting results.

Obviously I can't quantify how it effected the team as a whole because there are countless other variables, as there are in these stats, but I'm not claiming it's the be all end all for if he mopes and if it effects him. I'm just saying his numbers are very different in some cases and not so much in others, but on the whole, it seems like he gets gun shy.

It's hard to judge what all those stats mean without a baseline from say a seasoned NFL quarterback.

Could you put up Matt Moore's game stats using the same analysis please?

Not suggesting Moore mopes of course.

I'm not sure many people would consider Moore seasoned with such limited starting experience but I'll work one up just for you.

next year, instead of moping....Cam Newton can go get in people's faces.....say more to teammates.....and have different channels for the "moping".

No complaints thus far on Newton. Exceeded expectations across the board. Sure he has things to work on but he is suppose to have them.

This. The other guys on the team better be ready to step their games up and show that winning attitude and killer instinct. Cam may not just be cursing under a towel next year, alone on the bench.

You don't understand the process I went through. His first pick in each game is not counted in the "After" stats as I said before. Therefor, he could have thrown one pick a game and not let it make his rating or TD/Int ratio go down. As you can see in the first post, his first pick in a game is on it's own line and he's 0/9.

It says something that after that first pick, he only threw 4 TDs. Going from a TD every 17 throws to a TD every 56 throws with a pretty similar sample size of before and after.

I think you need to ask questions rather than jump to conclusions about the process.

I didn't assume they counted in the after stats, but the fact remains that the "before" stats are better by default because they CAN'T include any intercetpions by definition.

Then there's the fact that he's more likely to throw interceptions against good defenses. He had 7 entire games where he didn't throw an interception at all, and big surprise they were all against poor defensive teams (besides the Jags, and it was hard for anyone to catch anything in that downpour), thus boosting the "pre-interception" stats with an entire game of excellent play. While in other games he threw an interception early in a game against a good D and his pooerer play against a good defense had a huge impact on the "post interception" stats.

Again, this stat you have proves nothing. His play is more likely to be related to the quality of the defense than any sort of moping or gun-shy attitude. It's not an interception that causes him to play poorly, it's a good defense that causes both.

Archived