• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Michael Brockers, DT, LSU

JawnyBlaze

Do we want a player that we ever really want to question his motor? As freakish as Julius Peppers was, we had that debate constantly. He'd show up sometimes...then other times look like a child molestor on the sidelines. Whoever we pick, I never want that to be a debate topic (ex. Coples right now)

who are you talking about? nobody is questioning brockers motor.

I think you are correct that Brockers has all of the tools to be a stud DT. But Damn....high draft picks on DT's just scare the crap out of me. There are SO many Top 10 DT busts.

I would rather have the DT that is a stud instead of that has all the tools.That is a hard postion to master and gain strengh for coming from college.

it's because they weren't scouted properly or were put in the wrong system/out of position. same goes with most busts.

i'm not worried about drafting a bust in the first round, though. hurney and the scouting department do a good job in the first round.

I am nervous at drafting DT for two reasons:

1. There are a ton of Top 10 DT Busts....more than any other position.

2. It usually takes DT's a season or two to become overly impactful

Not saying that an upgrade would not be a great thing....just that I would rather bring in antoher FA if Rivera thinks we need it and let Fue/McClain have another year to develop.

Just my opinion though.

who are you talking about? nobody is questioning brockers motor.

Coples...(in parenthesis)...if there's somehow a debate between the two draft picks. Wasn't attributing that to Brockers at all...just speaking to DT busts in general and the need to keep motor as part of the conversation.

I am nervous at drafting DT for two reasons:

1. There are a ton of Top 10 DT Busts....more than any other position.

i hit that already...

it's because they weren't scouted properly or were put in the wrong system/out of position. same goes with most busts.

2. It usually takes DT's a season or two to become overly impactful
you have to take the long view. fox never wanted to draft a QB early because it took too long to develop them. he didn't want to mess with much of any young player because he wanted guys who could play on a high level right away instead of wasting time developing them.

ruling out a position in the draft because it "takes too long" for them to be overly impactful leaves your team ultimately weak in that one position.

is there a double standard there in wanting brockers and giving him time vs. not giving fua and mcclain time? maybe. don't care though. i don't care about being fair to those two or anyone. i only care about getting the best players possible. if brockers is as good as advertised and has as high a ceiling as it is believed, just like clausen last year, neither fua nor mcclain or anyone else on the roster is good enough to warrant picking up a guy that talented and the need is too great, imo.

Would rather have Jerel Worthy in the second. As i have said several times the talent level of the DT class is deep especially when compared with the teams that have needs at the position.

Which teams need a DT? Seriously. The Seahawks and Saints. Those are the only teams off the top of my head that could use a DT. Worthy and Thompson are prototypical 4-3 DT's. Therefore likely not targets by 3-4 teams who could be interested in Brockers, Still, Cox, and Poe. So conceivably there are 6 DT's that we could plug in and get good minutes/ production from. At least two of which should be available at our pick in the second.

Would rather have Jerel Worthy in the second. As i have said several times the talent level of the DT class is deep especially when compared with the teams that have needs at the position.

Which teams need a DT? Seriously. The Seahawks and Saints. Those are the only teams off the top of my head that could use a DT. Worthy and Thompson are prototypical 4-3 DT's. Therefore likely not targets by 3-4 teams who could be interested in Brockers, Still, Cox, and Poe. So conceivably there are 6 DT's that we could plug in and get good minutes/ production from. At least two of which should be available at our pick in the second.

Everyone needs a DT. It's the second-hardest position to fill on a football field, simply because of the physical talents required to play the position at a high level.

And there's really not a lot of good defensive tackles in this class. It's been called a weak class by a lot of people, which is one of the reasons that Brockers can come out of nowhere and fly past every single one of the other guys without anyone else giving him much competition.

I would rather have the DT that is a stud instead of that has all the tools.That is a hard postion to master and gain strengh for coming from college.

He was a stud in college, though. Go look at his championship games (SEC and national) or the way his coaches and teammates talk about him. He was a monster last year.

i'm starting to like Brockers more and more. I just dont see him as a worthy pick at 8/9. maybe trade down with Dallas, Cincy, or Philly at 14/15/17 and then draft him

You realize there is zero chance of him being available in that range, do you not?

Brockers is a lock for a Top 10. That's just the way it is. THere's fear that he's even starting to rise out of our range.

Archived