• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Michael Brockers, DT, LSU

JawnyBlaze

Here are the DTs drafted in the top 10 over the last 10 years:

Dareus

Suh

McCoy

Alualu

Raji

Tyson Jackson

Dorsey

Ellis

Okoye

Dewayne Robertson

Jonathan Sullivan

Kevin Williams

Ryan Sims

John Henderson

So, out of 14 DTs over the last 10 years who were drafted in the top 10 players I'd say that 6 of them were worth it (Dareus, Suh, Raji, Williams, Henderson). The rest of them have been underwhelming or flat out busts.

Michael Brockers could be great or he could be a bust. DT IMO is the most difficult position outside of QB for a rookie to come in and make a difference. There have been a ton of them who get injured or just don't pan out and you never hear about them again. Dorsey and Ellis were supposed to be perennial pro bowlers and were DOMINANT in their time at LSU and USC. Brockers surfaced to the top of the list what...a week ago? Those guys started at the top during their final seasons and ended at the top and now they are has beens.

so then lets just spend every first round pick on a linebacker or running back

All you have to do is read what Miles said about the Claiborne and Brockers decision to enter the NFL draft. Read that and you'll know that Brockers is no way worth a top 10 pick. This love fest with him is silly.

His own coach said he didn't agree with the decision and that he should have stayed in school to improve his draft ranking. He isn't ready and the only reason he entered the draft is because of family issues.

Minus ESPN, a lot of sites have him as the 4th - 6th rated DT in this draft. The only site that's moved him up is ESPN, to give you an idea on that ranking board. Last year before the draft they had Cam Newton rated with a 83 overall and ranked in the 30's. That was a ridiculous ranking for Newton and this Brockers ranking is just as ridiculous.

Put it this way, they have Luck with a 99. Draft scouts will tell you that the difference between Newton and Luck as prospects isn't that big, that Carolina would've had a tough decision to make between the two of them if Luck hadn't went back last year.

NFLdraftscout

CBSsports

Just to name a few.

wouldn't even consider him in the top 10. maybe even pass him up if he's there in the 2nd. not really that impressed at all and several bust potential red flags

not sure what you guys see in him. pass

???

what have you watched that you aren't impressed with?

red flags? such as.....

Guest Bwood15

???

what have you watched that you aren't impressed with?

red flags? such as.....

I wouldn't exactly exclude him from the top 10 yet, I really wouldn't even put any names as "locks" in the top ten right now besides the obvious, Luck, Kalil, Claiborne, RG3, Blackmon.

I just think that Brockers is the hot name as the #1 defensive tackle prospect right now. Defensive tackle talent is so hard to evaluate this early. Though Brockers is a great player playing in the toughest conference in college.

I still take Devon Still. Love his heart and knowledge to dominate the game.

I am all aboard the train to draft dlineman early and often. Is Brockers the guy? I am not sure...but his potential is intriguing. Coach Miles not wanting him to come out is just as much about him needing to improve as Miles not wanting to lose a stud Dtackle.

I was intrigued by Brockers, so I went back and watched two of his games (Arkansas and Georgia) and focused on him every snap.

He is much better as a run defender. Generally, he wasn't in the game on obvious passing downs. Saw a guy that got good initial push, but seemed to lack that final burst to get to the QB for effective pressure.

For a guy that was part of a great D-line on a great D, he was underwhelming. Maybe it was just these two games, but he has not shown me enough to be anything more than potential, and we don't have the luxury to wait 2 years on his development.

Overall, I think I would pass if the decision had to be made today.

Archived