• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Michael Brockers, DT, LSU

JawnyBlaze

The Giants have stock piled Dlinemen.. I would not mind drafting Brockers in the 1st, and another pass rusher in the 2nd.. maybe a OLB that can rush the passer like Ronnell Lewis or someone we can use like Von Miller.

The Giants invested several high round picks to get their Dline:

2011 - Marvin Austin - 2nd Round

2010 - Jason Pierre-Paul - 1st Round

2010 - Linval Joseph - 2nd Round

2006 - Matthias Kiwanuka - 1st Round

2006 - Barry Cofield - 4th Round

2005 - Justin Tuck - 3rd Round

2003 - William Joseph - 1st Round

2003 - Osi Umenyiora - 2nd Round

When is the last time we invested a 1st or 2nd Round pick on Dline? We have spent several 3rd round picks on Dline, but I did not list them.. many of them takes a couple years to develop including Charles Johnson.

2009: Everrette Brown - 2nd Round

2002: Julius Peppers - 1st Round

2001: Kris Jenkins - 2nd Round

1999: Mike Rucker - 2nd Round

Time to draft Dline Hurney! We are overdue.

Agreed. And those early picks on the D-line have done more to get the Giants their SB win in 07 and their Conference game this year than their early picks on offense (Manning, Nicks, whoever else I'm forgetting).

Agreed. And those early picks on the D-line have done more to get the Giants their SB win in 07 and their Conference game this year than their early picks on offense (Manning, Nicks, whoever else I'm forgetting).

We already have our Manning and Nicks.. time to concentrate on defense.

I'd love Garay as well. But one thing we desperately need is someone that can get consistent pressure up the middle, and I don't know that Garay can do that for us. I think in a lot of ways he'd be duplicating what we expect out of Edwards...a run defender that can take up blockers. So, I would have no problem bringing in Garay, but I would still take Brockers since he is expected to develop into a very good pass rusher as well.

Garay led the league in pressure per snap by DTs in 2010, and that was him playing in a 2 gap alignment

if we are going to raid the chargers, lets just do it proper and take garay, jared gaither, and steve gregory.

gaither would take away any worries about he right side of that oline and gregory is a special teams beast and would also help our secondary immensely.

Here are the DTs drafted in the top 10 over the last 10 years:

Dareus

Suh

McCoy

Alualu

Raji

Tyson Jackson

Dorsey

Ellis

Okoye

Dewayne Robertson

Jonathan Sullivan

Kevin Williams

Ryan Sims

John Henderson

So, out of 14 DTs over the last 10 years who were drafted in the top 10 players I'd say that 6 of them were worth it (Dareus, Suh, Raji, Williams, Henderson). The rest of them have been underwhelming or flat out busts.

Michael Brockers could be great or he could be a bust. DT IMO is the most difficult position outside of QB for a rookie to come in and make a difference. There have been a ton of them who get injured or just don't pan out and you never hear about them again. Dorsey and Ellis were supposed to be perennial pro bowlers and were DOMINANT in their time at LSU and USC. Brockers surfaced to the top of the list what...a week ago? Those guys started at the top during their final seasons and ended at the top and now they are has beens.

Here are the DTs drafted in the top 10 over the last 10 years:

Dareus

Suh

McCoy

Alualu

Raji

Tyson Jackson

Dorsey

Ellis

Okoye

Dewayne Robertson

Jonathan Sullivan

Kevin Williams

Ryan Sims

John Henderson

So, out of 14 DTs over the last 10 years who were drafted in the top 10 players I'd say that 6 of them were worth it (Dareus, Suh, Raji, Williams, Henderson). The rest of them have been underwhelming or flat out busts.

Michael Brockers could be great or he could be a bust. DT IMO is the most difficult position outside of QB for a rookie to come in and make a difference. There have been a ton of them who get injured or just don't pan out and you never hear about them again. Dorsey and Ellis were supposed to be perennial pro bowlers and were DOMINANT in their time at LSU and USC. Brockers surfaced to the top of the list what...a week ago? Those guys started at the top during their final seasons and ended at the top and now they are has beens.

Now do CB's

ESPN's Scout Insider now ranks Michael Brockers the top DT in this class, ahead of Devon Still, with an overall grade of 92. Anyone know anything about this guy? I couldn't find much video on him, and I was did find wasn't overly impressive.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/28980

Is he 7'6" and 500 lbs? If not, I'm not interested. ;)

Archived