• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

South Carolina sales tax question

Hairless Cat

do out of state residents pay south carolina sales tax on items like televisions when they purchase them?

If you get it delivered to your house, you will be charged whatever the sales tax is in your area if the store has a location in your state.

I worked at Sears when I was in college and used to have customers come look at TV's and then say they were going to go buy in the Rock Hill store because taxes were lower. I quickly learned that I could sell the Rock Hill store stock with Rock Hill sales tax and stopped losing customers and commission to SC.

You are supposed to self-report a use tax or some poo like that for items bought out of state. I am unaware that anyone does it (in fact, I think reporting anything on your tax return would likely cause some red flags).

NC Dep of Revenue will come after you though for things such as boat purchases from out of state in which you don't pay the use tax. Then you need to show documentation that you paid SC taxes or pay the piper.

You are supposed to self-report a use tax or some poo like that for items bought out of state. I am unaware that anyone does it (in fact, I think reporting anything on your tax return would likely cause some red flags).

NC Dep of Revenue will come after you though for things such as boat purchases from out of state in which you don't pay the use tax. Then you need to show documentation that you paid SC taxes or pay the piper.

If you buy from a dealer, they probably do that automatically.

When I bought my car, they automatically charged me NC sales tax even though I purchased it in Maryland.

If you buy from a dealer, they probably do that automatically.

When I bought my car, they automatically charged me NC sales tax even though I purchased it in Maryland.

That is correct. However, the dealer doesn't always report that to NC. NC will then come after you and if you didn't save the paperwork, well poo.

Archived