• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

CardiacCats 7-round Panthers Mock v.2.0

CardiacCats

******NO TRADES INCLUDED*********

The season is over and we had a solid campaign at 6-10, about what all of us expected. We have glaring needs on defense and if we want to compete with Drew Brees next year, our sole focus has to be on the defensive side of the ball, we'll be picking 8th or 9th...as a coin flip with Miami will determine that.

Round 1

quinton-coples.jpg

Quinton Coples-DL-North Carolina

The last defensive lineman we took out of UNC that wore #90 ended up being a solid pick, this would be a tough decision here between him and Dre Kirkpatrick but I would go Coples here. I never think Hardy will become much better than above average while Coples could be elite. He can play DE or DT and with him and CJ on the edges think of all the new creative blitz packages we can come up with for Beason and Anderson. If we're gonna go BPA, it's Coples...no questions asked.....assuming a guy like Justin Blackmon doesn't fall. I've liked Coples for a while now and like Peppers when he gets in the zone, he can take a game over. Him and CJ and we instantly have the best pair of DEs in the South, maybe the NFC.

Round 2

93607820_display_image.jpg?1314584698

Chase Minnifield-CB-Virginia

This is a corner-heavy class which is why I went Coples over Kirkpatrick in the first round, we can get a guy about as good as Kirkpatrick in the second. Between Janoris Jenkins, Alfonzo Denard, and Chase Minnifield one will fall into the second round, hopefully into our hands. Minnifield is good overall in coverage and a good tackler, if Minnifield falls past 40 it might be considered a "draft fall", if Minnifield isn't available expect Desmond Trufant from Washington, who I think would be the next best option.

Round 4

Travis-Lewis.jpg

Travis Lewis-OLB-Oklahoma

I mocked this guy to us in my first Panthers mock draft, I love Travis Lewis. He was a 4-year starter at Oklahoma and had three seasons where he finished with over 100 tackles. He was the leader of that Boomer Sooner defense and plays with the swag our defense could use. I think he would start from Day 1 and could be a huge steal, but this is another guy that we would be lucky to get in round 4, he isn't very fast as his 40 is in the 4.8 range, but he has a great nose for the ball and can tackle well in open space. He would be an outstanding pick.

Round 5

5015019205_be3956d922.jpg

Rokevious Watkins-T/G-South Carolina

Byron Bell has shown flashes of a huge steal and flashes of really struggling as a rookie, nonetheless however our offensive line needs some depth and Watkins is a versatile lineman as he has played both tackle and guard in the Southeastern conference, Watkins is a MONSTER as you can see in that picture he's 6'4" 340 lbs...he could be fitted better as a guard in this league but he would certainly be a nice addition.

Round 6

350x.jpg

Eddie Whitley-FS-Virginia Tech

Sherrod Martin looked terrible in the last game of the season against the New Orleans Saints...absolutely terrible and free safety has become a position of need for the draft. It's mind-boggling to me because I have seen flashes from Martin that make me think he and Godfrey are going to be a stellar safety duo for years to come, but he often times just looks lost in coverage. On to Whitley, his stock is rather low because of his small stature....he stands around 6'1" and weighs about 190 lbs...most NFL safeties are bigger than that, but he still is really quick as he has ran as low as a 4.42 in the forty yard dash. Would be a solid pickup late, no doubt. Whitley had 78 tackles, 2 ints, 1 FF, and 3 PDEFL this year for the Hokies so he is also a decent run stopper. Good all-around player.

Round 7

Randy+Bullock+Oklahoma+State+v+Texas+HaAT4WPhnZ5l.jpg

Randy Bullock-K-TAMU

Although Mare did improve slightly at the end of the season, and Rivera has said he will be taking Kunalic to training camp in July I still wouldn't doubt for a second an upgrade this offseason isn't possible. Mare still missed two crucial kicks this season for us and has done it his whole career with other teams also. Bullock was the best college kicker this year, he was 25-29 on field goals and 52-54 on PATs...his career long is 50 yards. I would be surprised if we don't pick up a kicker or punter one on this draft.

Even though it goes against my other post, Coples does make a strong argument for the pick. I just dont think he could get us to the playoffs. Chase Minnfield (or whoever) would have to be a helluva CB in this scenario.

Archived