• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Peppers not talking to teammates

dpanthersman

I'm beginning to agree with the folks who think Carl Carey is in way over his head.

Peppers offbeat personality might also include him thinking that he doesn't have to do anything he doesn't want to and that those around him will simply work it out so he gets what he wants. You'd have to imagine he's pretty used to getting what he wants.

He may have to learn that the real world isn't always so cooperative, but I don't think he'll learn that lesson easily.

Decent writeup from John DeLong of the Winston-Salem Journal: Dragging his feet
pretty good points...

Peppers has always been uncomfortable in the spotlight in his seven seasons with the Panthers, and returning with the "franchise" tag would be even more awkward for him. He has heard boos before at Bank of America Stadium, but they were more like sighs of frustration from the crowd. They have never been anger-filled, and that's what he would get if he didn't produce. And anytime he didn't play well, the questions would resurface about his desire.
not sure what the effect would be here in the short term on peppers. will the threat of constant boos force him to work harder or make him crawl into a hole? if it is the latter...don't expect many teams willing to part with much for someone with that kind of fragile psyche....even in an uncapped year. people would be more inclined to think of him much in the same way as vince young. i'm hoping that if he does have to stay that he won't crumble but see it as a chance to drive his stock higher. play hard and shut your mouth.

There is some sentiment around the NFL that Peppers will in essence be forced to return to Carolina, because he isn't able to command anything close to $16.7 million a year on the free market. With a limited number of teams far enough under the cap to cut a deal with Peppers, that would seem to make sense. But Peppers has already established that this isn't about going to the highest bidder; it's about getting away from the Panthers so as to maximize his talent and reach his personal goals.

Meanwhile, the Panthers have taken the high road, saying that they have wanted to keep Peppers all along. They have downplayed Peppers' and Carey's comments.

In doing so, the Panthers have gained even more bargaining chips. They're willing to pay Peppers the one-year, $16.7 million deal, so they won't be pressured into taking a low-ball offer in what would amount to a sign-and-trade deal. And the notion that he might really have to play for the Panthers again next season could be a scary one to Peppers, if he wants out as bad as he says he does.

i agree with this.

and if peppers truly doesn't want to play in carolina next year....he has to know that carolina isn't going to let up. it's a stand off and the panthers have more ammo. while it may not be desirable, they are prepared to hang on. peppers desire to go somewhere else, if it is desperate, will have to give way to the panthers desire to get what they want. either sign the tender and let the team work with another team to get you where you want to go or sign the tender and stay a year, using it to impress more teams and take advantage of an uncapped year. he'll get more money in the long run doing that.

in the words of st. mick...

you can't always get what you want

but if you try sometimes you might find you get what you need.

Yeah that wasn't bad. He's pretty decent.

And I am now starting to get angry with him for doing NOTHING to date either way. If he wants to move on, for effs sake ACT like it.

And I agree, he will hear booing out the ying yang if he stays. I wouldn't boo but I understand 100% the sentiments of those who would.

the boos are guaranteed but they will be short lived if he comes out of the gate like a bull and is unrelenting throughout the season.

production and wins will take away a lot of hostility and drive up his value.

As soon as Carey made those public comments that limited his bargaining power, I think most people knew he was in wayyyy over his head.

Pep might think that way because IMO he has always, always skated on his athleticism in the NFL. ALWAYS. It's one reason I have always felt that he hasn't lived up to his potential. I said it even on the other board, years ago...he has JT like ABILITY but what separated them was WANT TO. NOT the coaching staff not using him right. JT was great through many coaching changes. Strahan too. I am also not sure of his football intelligence compared to those two.

Archived