• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Peppers not talking to teammates

dpanthersman

I don't think he is their type of player honestly. I also think he is more of a risk financially since it would require draft picks to get him plus a new contract. Why not snag one or two of the myriad of DE conversions that seem to be available in this draft and "raise" them in the system as an OLB? It would be less financial and draft pick risk IMO.

I agree, but NE's more likely to "raise" 3-7th round picks in those type of roles rather then pay a player 1st rounder to be a bust. Deep down inside, I honestly think that NE would rather get rid of their 1st rounder for a proven player and/or more late round draft picks.

I'm biased toward the Peppers trade only because I want the draft to be exciting for me as a Panther fan.

Well they've never traded a first rounder for a player under this regime but you never know. I also don't think Pep is worth a first rounder as a conversion project either. The Pats have 11 picks already and a pooton of their own players due to be FA after this year. I just don't think the Pep thing would be something they would do. I could see them signing JT and letting him be situational @ OLB for a couple years while they bring their own guys along. JT has already played 3-4 OLB in a similar system. For them to take a player that is almost 30 and have to try to teach him all the prinicples of OLB (if you saw NFTLA last night, Willie McGinest gave a nice sketch of how tough it is to convert since he did it) when it usually takes a year or two plus to catch on doesn't seem to be a good use of anything, time, picks, money, making the team better, etc. as the JT thing would. Now watch, I will be DEAD NUTS WRONG...lol

Well they've never traded a first rounder for a player under this regime but you never know. I also don't think Pep is worth a first rounder as a conversion project either. The Pats have 11 picks already and a pooton of their own players due to be FA after this year. I just don't think the Pep thing would be something they would do. I could see them signing JT and letting him be situational @ OLB for a couple years while they bring their own guys along. JT has already played 3-4 OLB in a similar system. For them to take a player that is almost 30 and have to try to teach him all the prinicples of OLB (if you saw NFTLA last night, Willie McGinest gave a nice sketch of how tough it is to convert since he did it) when it usually takes a year or two plus to catch on doesn't seem to be a good use of anything, time, picks, money, making the team better, etc. as the JT thing would. Now watch, I will be DEAD NUTS WRONG...lol

Yeah, I know they've never traded 1st rounders but they've also always drafted pretty solid talent in the 1st round. I'm not sure this will be the case this year.

I'm the correct gender and I didn't get it, either.

I dunno. I have a feeling I'm going to be bored on draft day.

yea im feelin the same way. its starting to look like hes gonna be with us this season. if that does happen. i wonder what the chances are of him signing a long term deal with us. im thinking if he stays before the end of the season hell sign

I'm the correct gender and I didn't get it, either.

Cool, I feel less space cadet-y now. Thanks! lol

I always love the draft. I will have ESPN on one TV on mute and NFLN on the other with NFLN's volume turned up because Mayock >>>>>>>> anything on ESPN knowledge wise.

I actually think that if they do not trade Pep, they should let him walk scot free after next year. Have him sign the tender with the provision he doesn't get the tag next year. He'll be on the wrong side of 30 then and likely won't be worth as much to any team. And 20 mill is FAR FAR too much to tie up on one player for a year. I don't care WHO that player is. Heck, I don't even like the 17 mill figure for him. And I don't want him signed to a long term deal after 2009 either.

i think what people are saying is that peppers will be used as a pure pass rusher and the other OLB will cover so i dont think the learing curve will be a prob..if anything he could make a DEF better him standing up with his size and speed would cause probs with the match ups he would get..

Well honestly I think if he would talk to anyone about his situation it would be a player that has been in the league longer than him which includes Jason Baker, Jake Delhomme, Na'il Diggs, Brad Hoover, John Kasay, Damione Lewis, Muhsin Muhammad, Steve Smith, or Keydrick Vincent. Now looking at these guys you cross some of them off that have not been on the team long or that have had troubles in the pass or that Peppers has not ever been really close with. Which would leave us with, Jake Delhomme, Na'il Diggs, Brad Hoover, John Kasay, and Muhsin Muhammad. Then to eliminate a couple more I am pretty sure Na'il Diggs and Peppers would not discuss a situation like this. But we do have someone to replace Na'il Diggs with, Jordan Gross has also been a canadite of talking to Peppers so I believe if anyone will talk to Peppers about his situation it would be Muhsin Muhammad, Jordan Gross, John Kasay, Brad Hoover, Jake Delhomme

Archived