• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What are the top 3 characteristics you want in your successful NFL QB?

TheRealDeal

Leadership is a pretty general term and it encompasses so many other characteristics. Work ethic, calm under pressure, courage, passion to name a few. If I'm saying that using the term leadership is acceptable, it's #1 on the list for a QB IMO. The QB for the most part sets the tone for your franchise. During the Delhomme days (when he was competent) I always felt like the Panthers were this gritty, could never count out outfits because they kept coming at you no matter what. I thought they reflected the character of their QB and it permeated throughout the entire team. The pre-requisite to being a leader though is that you have to be good. It's tough to be a leader when you're not. But if you have physical ability with no leadership skills at the QB position, your team will never realize its potential.

While accuracy has been mentioned, arm strength hasn't. To me, these two traits need to weighted equally in terms of QB priority. Having one without the other does little good. Aaron Rodgers has been mentioned in this thread. What amazes me about him is how effortlessly he drives the ball to a spot down the field. That can't be done without both accuracy and arm strength.

Instinct also needs to be mentioned. You look at the elite QB's at the position, it's as if they have a 6th sense in terms of feeling pressure, knowing where to go with the ball, game situational awareness. While reading defenses and all that can be included here...that can be learned. Some of this could be termed pocket presence, but I'd go deeper and say a coaches feel and understanding of the game.

hmm, interesting question. I've been trying to put it into 3 phrases/words, but I can't really. Just too much I want in a quarterback.

I do think physical skills matter if you want to have an elite qb, but the reality is you don't need an elite guy to win in this league. maybe to win consistently year in and year out, but that's another story.

accuracy is important... but you can win without being the most accurate passer. playmaking ability is important... leadership is very important, both on and off the field, including work ethic and reliability... but they also need football smarts... of course a broad term. but it's more than just reading a defense, it's also understanding what is needed at a particular moment in the game and how best to achieve it.

just cant name 3. but

smart decisions, able to read defense(audible).

not scared to stand in the pocket(awareness) and bounce back from bad plays

strong arm and accurate(thread the needle).

clutch.

strong work ethic(over achiever, study tape, work with wideouts, stay in shape)

ability to run(when play breakdown) or extend plays until target is open

all thes things will make you a GREAT leader, teamates follow how you PLAY not what you SAY!!!

Decision making

Consistency

Precision

The 3 most important ones. And they are all inclusive. Good decision making leads to good decisions on the field and good decisions off the field, or good leadership.

Consistency needs no explanation. This also includes practice habits and work ethic.

Precision means more than just accurate throwing the ball. It means being precise in everything that you do. Footwork, snap count, rushing, timing, passing.

Archived